Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Walbro GSL 392

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walbro GSL 392

I sent for a Walbro pump, going to put on 2001.5,I know this subject has been beat to death but (did search and cant find answer) somewhere I seen where someone (I think) instead of using a regulator they put a T in the line to the injection pump to bypass some fuel thereby lowering the pressure to the V44.Could someone answer the following for me.
1-Do i hook this pump into the line back at the tank and pump thru the lift pump and filter thats on it now?
2-Where do I T into the line for the bypass?
3- What size bypass line?
4-Do i T into the return line thats on there now.
5-Do I use the present electrical feed that powers the present lift pump to trigger a relay to run the Walbro?
6 Or do I foget the above and use a regulator?
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:30 PM

1. You hook the pump up on the frame and install a Vulcan Big Line kit or something similar.
2. You 'T' into the fuel line before the VP and the rubber portion of the return line.
3. I think they're using a 5/16" fuel line in the bypass.
4. Yes.
5. Yes.
6. No.

Just in case I got something wrong, if you follow this link: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1822 you'll get all the information you'll need. Good luck! I haven't done it yet, but I'm right behind you!
Old 02-22-2006, 08:30 PM
Banned

"1-Do i hook this pump into the line back at the tank and pump thru the lift pump and filter thats on it now?"

Remove the old lift pump. Pump through your stock filter. You will need an adapter to hook into the filter housing. (I drive a Ford, I don't know for sure.) The dealer has one or you can use the FASS part. (Someone chime in here with part numbers.)

"2-Where do I T into the line for the bypass?"

Probably the easiest way is to use tapped banjo bolts on the VP44. But I think the return banjo has a valve built into it.

"3- What size bypass line?"

It doesn't really matter as the return line provides the backpressure. Anything from 1/4" to 3/8" has been used successfully.

"4-Do i T into the return line thats on there now."

You could, yes. T in right near the VP44.

"5-Do I use the present electrical feed that powers the present lift pump to trigger a relay to run the Walbro?"

On a 2nd gen, trigger a relay.

"6 Or do I foget the above and use a regulator?"

If you can live with 17 PSI idle, 13 PSI WOT, it is easier to forget the regulator. If you want 15/15PSI, use a regulator.

There is another website which has more info with pictures of installs on this stuff.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:50 PM

If I did go with regulator,what make,model woud be required?
Old 02-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Banned

I don't know for sure. Not the Swagelok I spoke of in some of my earlier posts. The Walbro pushes too much fuel and the VP44 takes too little and it doesn't flow enough.

If you run a regulator you have to run a second large return line as well.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:11 PM

1:Mount the pump on the frame and tap into the supply line. Disconnect the supply banjo from the stock pump and connect it to the filter housing. Do not go through the stock pump.

2:I put my tee in the short rubber hose between the VP and the filter.

3: 5/16

4: Yes, I put my tee in the plastic line that runs from the motor to the frame. Replacing the plastic with rubber makes it easier.

5:Use a relay and trigger it with the stock LP wiring.

6: Using the stock lines is giving me 13-17 psi.

I used 2- 5/16 brass tees,about 6'- 5/16 rubber fuel line, a relay, some wire and connectors and the Walbro pump. About $150.00 invested.

If you need any help, just ask
Shawn
Old 02-22-2006, 10:56 PM

Hey, Superduty, since I've got you here; Would it be worth enlarging the existing return line back to the tank, from where the bypass line is 'T'd into it, and route the return line to the tank vent instead of the tank module? Would this allow enough bypassed fuel to use a regulator?
Old 02-22-2006, 11:04 PM
Banned

I dunno what the exact size needs to be because nobody has gotten me the flow rates I requested.

To run a regulator and have it work well, the return line needs to have 2 or 3 PSI backpressure, max. I would just run a second return line for the regulator alone. It would probably work OK to tie into the tank vent line. I'd probably use 3/8" or even 1/2" line for it.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:26 PM

Ok, a second return line, returned to the tank vent, it is. I'd really like to see consistent pressure. It drives me crazy to see my fuel gauge moving all the time, that just doesn't seem right ... especially seeing the pressure going down. I guess I'm on the quest for an appropriate regulator.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:47 PM

Thanks everyone,all good and sufficiant info,my Walbro is on its way,a special thanks to Superduty who came up with this fix,this is going on a 2001.5, hope it warms up a bit to put it on,10 below and supposed to get 2 to 4 in. snow tomorrow and colder.