Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Walboro system

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walboro system

I have a carter black 4601hp on order but have been reading that they are only good for about 14psi, and I only want to run one pump, so I was looking at the walboro system. I have 1/2 fuel lines now but will they be scraped if I go with the walboro and what king of fuel pressure will I see if I use the carter black by itself on the frame rail compared to the walboro, Thanks.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
carter fuel pump

I have been running the 4601hp carter for 1.5 years now and i get a steady 12-13 psi . When i installed mine i cut the stock line just in front of the tank slide on rubber line from there to a good spin on filter with a drain and then right into the pump. It was all done as close to the tank as possible. I ran from the pump with rubber line to the filter housing and drilled out the banjo bolts. I soldered on some larger gauge wire to the stock wiring and ran it back to the inside frame rail where the pump is mounted. This all came out as a nice simple, clean installation that i have been happy with so far and is easy to service if the need arrises.
The only change i would make if i was doing it over would be to use the walbro pump because long term i think it is a better pump of course this would cost a little more. The total investment i have in my current setup is only $145.00 and my time to install. This is a good cheap fix to what those idiots did from the factory and i think is a much better than their new over priced in the tank garbage pump!! Hope this helps you and other members keep the fuel flowing.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've been reading and searching for fuel pressure solutions and now really don;t know what to do. I called about fass and walboro systems and they sre pretty expensive(i'm in canada). I have a 4601hp carter black on the way and was going to just put it on the frame rail where my stocker is now and from what I have read that this will not be good enough and will not put out anymore pressure than the one I am running now. I might move my stock one back to the stock location and put the new one on the frame rail but i'm not sure how to get power to it because now I have the extension that comes with the vulcan kit, anyone know where to get the power for the second pump and how will this work, to much pressure? And am I able to run a walboro pump in place of my current pump with out changing to much fuel lines, relays, wiring harnesses,etc. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IF you want to have more fuel pressure than i am running then you could use the stock pump along with the 4601hp mounted back at the tank that should get you up to 20 or more psi. You can buy a simple 12 volt relay from radio shack,napa or possibly canadian tire to feed the rear pump. Use the 12v+ from the stock pump to trigger the relay for the second pump that way you won't burn out your PCM by pulling to much current through it trying to run 2 pumps.
To run the walbro you will need a pressure regulator and a return line back to your fuel tank with what ever system you use when you get to far beyond 22+ psi to vp-44 you can get hard starting issues and possibly internal damage to the pump itself. The factory return pressure in the VP is 14 psi at the overflow valve.