Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Walboro ( SuperDuty ) Pump installed !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walboro ( SuperDuty ) Pump installed !!!!

Well it has been a long day and i finally got it done. I mounted the pump with the factory mount on the outside of the frame rail between the transfercase and fuel tank. I ran a fuel line from the pump up to fuel filter inlet banjo. I installed the holley 12-803bp regulator between the filter and the injection pump. I put a T in the return line near the back of the engine where the soft line connects to the frame rail, then hooked a line from the T to the return off the regulator. I hooked the wires from the factory lift pump to power the new pump. I fired it up and set the pressure at 20psi, no leaks first try, how the hell did that happen. I plan to biuld a shield to cover the pump from road debris later. I have a westach fuel gauge to install in the pillar to finish testing and monitoring the pressure, for now i set the pressures from the gauge i have under the hood. I am glad to have a pump that will last thousands of miles and has proven to be durable even if it is from a FERD.

Stay tuned for testing info

I set some codes by hooking directly to the lift pump wire, this needs to be run through a aux relay.
Stevo
Old 01-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
It must be nice to see the FP gauge stay steady at WOT, even us piston pumped guys don't get that benefit.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where did you learn of this pump??

I have $10.00 riding on this

Rick
Old 01-22-2006, 08:20 AM
Banned

I had a FERD before the dodge and it is pretty much common knowlege on the dieselstop.

Steve

so pay up

I had the idea Before i ever heard of Superduty if that is what you ment, the nice guy that he is cleared up a few things i wasn't sure about.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What we need is a complete, concise, list of parts, with prices, suppliers, and instructions.

Please don't post Superduty's threads with a zillion posts about it. We just need a list to work off of without a million posts of explination. I get the Walbro pump is a good pump. I would be glad to install one TODAY.

BTW The Holly 12-803bp is NOT rated for diesel or fuel injection systems and it is only rated up to 9 PSI. That can't be good for long term. We need a LONG pressure regulator solution.

http://www.holley.com/products.asp?product=12-803BP
Old 01-22-2006, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Sea01Cummer
I had a FERD before the dodge and it is pretty much common knowlege on the dieselstop.

Steve

so pay up

I had the idea Before i ever heard of Superduty if that is what you ment, the nice guy that he is cleared up a few things i wasn't sure about.
Odd...I just did a searh at "Dieselstop" (walbro pumps) must be common umder another name?

Sure would like to know what model or where to shop...
Old 01-22-2006, 11:22 AM

You hooked it up to the factory wires and it threw some codes, I am curious what codes they are, with your regulator in between fiter an Vp is that where you are puting your new gauge also. and do you get any pulsations in your gauge or does it sit steady like an oil pressure my fuel pressure gauge is constantly chattering.

JED
Old 01-22-2006, 11:38 AM

ok you got me ! i am gonna watch this like a hawk...i would love to put the superduty pump on my truck, i never had a problem w/ my superduty pump...my buddy got 250k out of his and it only took us an hour to change it when it died!
Old 01-22-2006, 12:03 PM
Banned

The Ferds run Bosch lift pumps, not Walbros.

Just so everyone is clear, the Bosch and the Walbro are NOT the same pump. The Walbro puts out more volume and will live at higher pressures.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Banned

I did not know the real name, it is a off the shelf oem 99-2003 Ferd Superduty PSD pump.

Steve
Old 01-22-2006, 01:37 PM

Did you get the DTC's figured out?
Old 01-22-2006, 02:27 PM
Banned

Yes i installed a relay and the DTC went away.

Steve
Old 01-22-2006, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sea01Cummer
Well it has been a long day and i finally got it done. I mounted the pump with the factory mount on the outside of the frame rail between the transfercase and fuel tank. I ran a fuel line from the pump up to fuel filter inlet banjo. I installed the holley 12-803bp regulator between the filter and the injection pump. I put a T in the return line near the back of the engine where the soft line connects to the frame rail, then hooked a line from the T to the return off the regulator. I hooked the wires from the factory lift pump to power the new pump. I fired it up and set the pressure at 20psi, no leaks first try, how the hell did that happen. I plan to biuld a shield to cover the pump from road debris later. I have a westach fuel gauge to install in the pillar to finish testing and monitoring the pressure, for now i set the pressures from the gauge i have under the hood. I am glad to have a pump that will last thousands of miles and has proven to be durable even if it is from a FERD.

Stay tuned for testing info

I set some codes by hooking directly to the lift pump wire, this needs to be run through a aux relay.
Stevo
I installed my walbro pump this weekend also, I have a few questions for you and/or superduty. Instead of the holey reg. Inused the swagelok reg. that superduty suggested at VP inlet and than plumbed the return line back to same spot you did. the problem I am having is I cannot get a constant fuel regulation. I cannot getthe swagelok reg. to adjust the pressure down low enough. I can set the pressureat 8 psi,but as soonas I reconnect the return line, my pressure doubles. Can anybody explain why this happens.

TIA
Old 01-22-2006, 10:48 PM

What he`s saying is that when we reconnected the return line, the fuel pressure jumps from 8 PSI to 16-17 PSI. Is there that much backpressure being created by the return line, or do we have another problem ?

And before anyone says anything, we set the pressure @ 8 PSI because when we set it at 15 PSI and connected the return, fuel pressure jumped to 22-24 PSI at idle.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:59 PM
Banned

Guess what. Your return line has 8ish PSI of backpressure to it when you start pumping 70 GPH through it ! You'll have to set the Swagelock regulator to 8 PSI and then you will get 15 PSI at the VP44. When you go to WOT your pressure will drop a bit because the flow through the return line will drop a bit because the engine is using more fuel.

Does that makes sense ?

If you want better pressure regulation, run a bigger or second line back to the tank. What size is the return line on the 2nd gens ?

At this point you can see that the Walbro is probably the first pump that has ever pushed that sort of fuel volume past the VP44 with stock fuel lines.

My 3rd gen has about 6 PSI of backpressure from before the filter through to the tank return using a non regulated bypass. I don't know how much of this is due to the filter, pump supply lines or return lines. With a Walbro, it doesn't matter.

Remember, I'm running my Cummins in a Ford. My lines back to the tank and the return assembly in the tank might be sized differently than yours. Mine are sized for the Bosch pump, which might return a lot more than the stock pumps on the Dodge.

Quick Reply: Walboro ( SuperDuty ) Pump installed !!!!