Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Vulcan Performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Vulcan Performance

Hey all
I received my LP relocation kit from Vulcan Performance last night and promptly installed it!! As you all can tell from my Signature I am on active duty and am assigned as a Fleet Diesel Engine Inspector onboard the Pre-Commissioned Unit San Antonio LPD-17 here in Pascagoula, MS where it is being built.
A little background here before I talk about the kit. In january my 01.5' 3500 H/O developed starting issues and after a little quality time with my code scanner and several long conversations with Cummins, it was taken to a local dealer for a warranty replacement of the L/P and VP 44 . I was not at all happy with the dealer, but keep quiet and tactful and got the truck back after EIGHT DAYS!!! Recently on my way to work, not 5 months after the new pumps were installed, I caught my F/P gage begin to drop off rather significantly. I started right away with the T/S process and found my L/P failing. $188.00 later, I am back on the road.
I entertained going to the holley Red, but thought why throw out the $ i just spent, not to mention taking another round of "Why are you spending more on your truck!?" from CINCHouse(Commander In Chief of the). Any ways that is when I discovered a thread on the Vulcan Kit. We all know that a pump is far more efficient when it pushes a material than pulling it. I work on engines for the military and Military Sealift Command that range from 2,000 hp to 48,000 hp, and the pumps are all the same. When you push the material you gain optimum performance from unit.
On to the kit.........
From my first dealing with Eric at Vulcan I knew this was a good move. I called in the AM from MS and his wife answered the phone. She told me she would get a message to him and he would call me back, I thought here we go. Boy was i wrong!! With in an hour Eric called me back and gave me a full rundown on the system he uses, described how the kit installs and discussed the gains he saw with the installs he has done. That went a long way with me. I ordered the kit Friday, 01 July at Mid day from VA, and when I got off from the Yard yesterday 05 July it was at the house. Talk about prompt and that included the holliday! The kit is complete and idiot proof!! The directions were clear and concise.
Total install time was MAYBE an HOUR and that was because i had to run my tool boxes back into the house as TS Cindy has been beating on our door since yesterday. The fittings are awesome and well made. They screwed right in with new Banjo Bolt gaskets. The fitting was provided to reconnect my F/P gage line as well. The wiring harness he provides to reconnect the pump electrically is of high quality and all I had to do was place a little di-electric grease on the terminals and plug it in. The hardest part of the whole install was cutting the fuel line near the tank but even that was accomplished reasonably with a small tubing cutter. After install, I ziptied the wiring and ensure the supply hose was all secure. I bumped the Key once and the fuel went right to 15 psi. No biggie there but when I hit the key to start the creature, that F/P went back to 15 and stayed there at idle.
The big test was a road trip. I needed fuel anyways so I ran for the highway and as I ran it through the gears the F/P NEVER dropped below 12.5, and at WOT (I have 4.10's) it never went below 12! With the cruise set at 72mph, 2300 rpms, i had 13.5 psi on the gage. I am am not just impressed, I am ecstatic . I highly recommend this to anyone who seeking better fuel delivery and pump lubricating and cooling charcteristics for their system
Old 07-06-2005, 08:35 AM

Sounds like a good pump. Any pics of it?

What rate are you? Your job sounds alot better than mine, I'm an AE on P-3's. My job SUX!!! GO NAVY!
Old 07-06-2005, 09:24 AM

Engineman Chief Petty Officer (Surface Warfare / Air Warfare) Eric J. Hovan USN

ENC(SW/AW) Eric J. Hovan
U S Navy Fleet Diesel Engine Inspector
MP Division Chief
PCU San Antonio LPD-17
FPO AE 09587-1700
"Never Retreat...NeverSurrender"
"Navy Chief - Initiated By CHOICE ; Proud of Tradition"

Irregardless of rating, we are on the same side of the fence
Old 07-06-2005, 09:42 AM

Do they have a web site or contact info. How did you here about vulcan performance.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by RAM2940
Do they have a web site or contact info. How did you here about vulcan performance.
Vulcan's website

360-885-1895 is one number they can be reached at. Amazing customer service, great product, great results.

Between Eric @ Vulcan and Eric @ Hoesli, there is no better service in the diesel industry.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:20 PM

I too installed the kit on my 99, piece of cake,,i have pics of the install and the fittings, email me at blown468@bresnan.net if anyone wants to take a look, I took my 29' 5th wheel to the lake this last weekend....4th gear at 2700 rpm 12.5psi, normal running was 14.....awesome KIT....best $119.00 spent on the truck so far!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by NavyChief
Engineman Chief Petty Officer (Surface Warfare / Air Warfare) Eric J. Hovan USN

ENC(SW/AW) Eric J. Hovan
U S Navy Fleet Diesel Engine Inspector
MP Division Chief
PCU San Antonio LPD-17
FPO AE 09587-1700
"Never Retreat...NeverSurrender"
"Navy Chief - Initiated By CHOICE ; Proud of Tradition"

Irregardless of rating, we are on the same side of the fence
Wow you motivated. LOL Wish I had good stuff to say about the Navy. Unfortunatly your real navy and I'm not. I work 2-3 days a week for 3-6 hours going alot of nothing. I tried for over 5 years to get to a boat or squadron with no luck. I've been stuck at 4 different AIMD's and was REFUSED to go anywhere else. I cant even reenlist to go somewhere else, so I'm getting out in Dec. I really wanted to make it a career and serve, but I feel more like I am in a dead end job. My job is just a waist of money. I'm told on a regular basis to spend $10k to fix a $5k part because it looks good that were fixing something. Sorry but thats BS. Maybe if I along with the rest of my other shipmates that joined for a sense of pride had a job with acomplishment in it I would feel different.

Anyway, sorry to rant.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:23 AM

Dont worry about ranting.

While I was in, for the whole 12 years, as a DS/ET they were more worried about whether or not the place was clean than whether anything worked.

Flag spaces you know.

Just cause were blind and deaf ( radars and radios) and could get shot at doesnt mean we have to go down with a dirty ship.

Phil
ex DS2 USN
Old 07-07-2005, 10:53 PM

I just ordered one off of Ebay. Looking forward to installing it and seeing the results ... I like the blue fittings!
Old 07-08-2005, 10:25 AM

Ok this is exactly what I wanted to read! My LP is starting to crap out on me. So if I bought the relocatioin kit, all I would need to do is buy a new lift pump and install it correct? I'm seriously about to order it. My FP reads 3psi. lol I installed my FP gauge Wed. and it read 12.5 all that day and got it to drop to 5psi at WOT. The next day it read 12psi when I cranked it up, but then dropped to 3psi once I was about a mile down the road. Thats is a sign of a shotty LP correct?

Also would the 30R7 hose be the same as 1/2" hose right? and on Eric's website he says that I can get my harnesses with ring terminals on one end upon request, whats a ring terminal and would I need it. I have got to get my FP up again!!!
Old 07-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Correct...
Old 07-08-2005, 10:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vulcan Full Flow System

Do you have the link to the one in Ebay?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-08-2005, 10:35 AM

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Unfortunately, that auction is over, but there's contact information included in the listing. Give Eric a call, I'm sure he'll hook you up!
Old 07-08-2005, 10:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks.

CapnRam, Check your mail.

Mike
Old 07-11-2005, 10:36 PM

Got mine today!

Quick question; I heard some say that when they installed the Scotty system they noticed the engine ran a lot quieter. Did anyone see the same results with the Vulcan system?

Quick Reply: Vulcan Performance