Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Vulcan kit question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 02:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vulcan kit question

I know that lift pump failure has been a big topic on here, but I have a couple questions that my searches just didnt answer.

My truck is a 99 ctd, 239xxx miles.. Only mods are Magnaflow 4" exhaust, Bosch RV275 injectors, and a fp gauge watching the lift pump.

After my last purchase of a new lift pump the night before I left for deer season, I decided it's time to do something. I had to cough up over $200 for a stock pump,, nobody but one local NAPA had one in stock,,, and I HAD to have my truck the next day.

I want to know about the Vulcan kit. I am getting good pressure out of my current pump, 7-8 wot, 9-10 cruise, 11-12 idle but would like a little more just to be on the safe side.

If I buy the cheaper Vulcan kit, not the Big Line kit, will I still see some increase in pressure just by moving the pump to the frame? What results have any of you had with just the relocation kit?

Or, do I have to get the "Big Line" kit to see any increase on my FP guage? If so, what results have any of you had with the big line kit?

I don't plan on any serious mods for my truck so a stock pump is fine with me, might get an afe intake soon, but no fuel demand there..

Thanks for any replies
Matt
Old 02-11-2007, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would definantly go with the Big Line kit. If you don't you won't see any pressure gains. Plus it would just make relocating the LP easier. Another good thing to do, which I'm going to do, is replace the Stock LP with a Holley Blue pump. They are about $100 from Advance Auto Parts and are stronger than the stock Carter. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the tip. So, just using the relocation kit alone without the big lines does not add any pressure? Why would anybody go through the trouble of moving it then..?

Thanks for the info about the Holley blue pump. If I use the vulcan kit, big line or not, will the Holley pump just bolt right up? Is it made to fit on our trucks? Next time I need to replace one I wouldn't mind getting a stronger one,,

Does the Holley last longer too?

Thanks
Matt
Old 02-11-2007, 06:44 PM

The relocation kit takes the LP off of the engine and puts it on the frame therefore decreasing vibration and I think it helps the pump live longer. I think it would be hard to relocate with the stock lines. The Holley Blue will fit right in with the Vulcan Big Line Kit on the frame. The Holley is a lot stonger IMHO. Thats what I'm going with next time I need a LP.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:56 PM

The relo kit does not replace the banjos either, and the Big Line kit does. That provides an increase in volume, and you'll see why when you take off the banjos and replace with a 1/2" metric/JIC fitting.

The Vulcan kit is top notch, easy to install and makes a big difference. I'm just waiting for my campaign pump to die and will be replacing it with the Holley blue.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:56 PM

This is what I did..

Old 02-11-2007, 10:18 PM

i replaced my intake pump on my 05 with the walbro 392 pump whihc is adjustable pressure along with the bigline kit the whole setup was only 378.00 shipped to me and you wouldn't need the drawstraw so it should cost you a little less than that. but i replaced mine knowing i would need the volume of fuel. but i have to say the adjustability of the pressure makes it nice. pm me if you would like the number of the guy i delt with at vulcan performance.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:13 AM

I have the vulcan big line kit with a carter pump from napa. Idle is 15+, cruise is 13-15, and wot is 11-12. The pump I bought initally crapped out after 10 months, but you have a one year warrenty from napa =P Nice thing was how quick it was to switch the pumps with the relocation.

You definately want the high flow bolts so get the big line
You can pm Eric- his handle is Vulcan
Old 02-13-2007, 01:03 AM

Thanks for the replies! I will definetly get the big line kit!

Couple questions about the Holley blue pump, if you guys will humor me a little more...\
1. What kind of pressure are you seeing with it?

2. Is it so much stronger than the stock pump that I will have to worry about any issues with the pump/assembly in the tank?

I dunno if I even have a pump in the tank,, I assume so but u know what happens when u assume...

Who makes the stock LP anyways..? I have a Carter from NAPA now,, but the one I took off was also a Carter.

Thanks again
Matt
Old 02-13-2007, 01:38 AM

I installed a vulcan big line kit.Reused the original LP that has 90,000 mi. on it.Fuel pressure increased about
1 1/2-2lbs across the board.

12lbs @ idle
11lbs @ cruise
9-10 @ wide open

Like the other guys said should be really easy to replace the LP in that location.Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:25 AM

Just replaced mine a couple weeks ago with the Vulcan big line and removed the stock lift pump and added a Holley Blue to the line back by the tank. What a great improvement I haven't got around to stretching the spring to get some more pressure yet but I am getting a solid 13psi right now and can't budge it even at wot. When installing I left the new line unhooked at the VP and cycled the pump a few times to clean lines and remove any air and HOLY CATS does it ever flow fuel now shouldn't have any trouble with the VP getting a good volume of fuel anymore. I wish i would have done that with all the stock lines before removing just to see the difference but I'm pretty sure it is huge
Good luck
Old 02-13-2007, 08:46 AM

Holley blue sounds like the way to go after the vulcan kit, and the pump I have now dies.. The price sounds good to me too..

Does anybody have a part number for the pump, by chance? I have an O'Rielley's, NAPA, Autozone, Carquest, and Advanced Auto parts all somewhat close to me.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by mattn124
Holley blue sounds like the way to go after the vulcan kit, and the pump I have now dies.. The price sounds good to me too..

Does anybody have a part number for the pump, by chance? I have an O'Rielley's, NAPA, Autozone, Carquest, and Advanced Auto parts all somewhat close to me.
At Autozone it's in there by the Holley # 12-802-1.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:59 AM

Thanks Doug_TX

Another question,,, Where do you think the best place to get one of these kits is? I found one at vulcanperformance's website as well as at Geno's garage website..
They are the same price,, but from what I can tell the one from Genos has hoses that are rated for higher-pressure,, as well as it looks to come with more hose,, I dont think the one at vulcanperformance had the hose from the tank to the LP.

Also,, running a mostly stock truck like mine,, do I really need to change the line from the tank to the LP? How much of a pain is it to get at? DO you need to drop the fuel tank?

Thanks for the replies
Old 02-15-2007, 01:30 AM

The vulcan kit relocates the pump to the frame so just a short peice of line is needed to run from the tank to the pump.

Lets just say that if I can do it anyone can. No need to drop the tank, but you do need a tubing cutter for the hard line.

Quick Reply: Vulcan kit question