Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

VP44 and programmers

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VP44 and programmers

I have a bone stock truck and was wondering if adding a Quadzilla XZT+ and Recon Guage will hurt the life span of my VP. The truck has 130k on it with a brand new VP and currently runs stock lp(no less than 8psi.@wot 12psi@idle) I plan on getting an aftermarket pump as a backup. I dont want to invest money into a programmer module only to find that the stock VP will not handle it.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:53 PM

It will not affect the life span of the VP44 as the duty cycle is not increased over stock parameters.

What could hurt the VP is a lift pump going out. If you get the REcon get the fuel pressure kit and make sure your fuel pressure stays up in the range you are talking about now.

What happens is that if you starve te VP for fuel it will actually overheat as it uses fuel to cool it. That is what really kills them and most mechanical parts! Heat is a Bad Bad thing!
Old 09-01-2007, 09:53 PM

so the fuel starvation and heat are the two biggest killers of the VP 44. This is my first diesel truck i just want to make sure it will last me a while. I am really looking for just a touch more performance, I really dont need a drag racing, sled pulling, hill killer.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by smokr
I have a bone stock truck and was wondering if adding a Quadzilla XZT+ and Recon Guage will hurt the life span of my VP. The truck has 130k on it with a brand new VP and currently runs stock lp(no less than 8psi.@wot 12psi@idle) I plan on getting an aftermarket pump as a backup. I dont want to invest money into a programmer module only to find that the stock VP will not handle it.

You can't find anyone more paranoid about the VP than me. And last night I installed the edge juice with attitude. I am showing 12-13psi @idle, about 9 @cruise speed, and down to 3psi on stage 5 @ about 3/4 throttle. While I am planning to upgrade my fuel system, I am so at ease by seeing what my fuel system is doing via the monitor. I have a holley black pump in the box right now, I am searching for someone to tell me how I need to hook it up in line with my stock LP. My goal is 14psi @ idle, and no lower than 9 psi @ WOT on stage 5.

While your PSI will drop when you turn up the power and shower down on it, it will be fine at cruising speeds. Get your programmer man. To live in fear is no way to live at all. To the VP in the words of Drago on rocky 4 "if it dies, it dies". LOL
Old 09-02-2007, 02:31 AM

Hear Hear!!!! Agreed!!!!

My 53 block is aleady taking the thrashing of a life time........keep your F.P. up and go for it!
Old 09-02-2007, 11:58 AM
BBA

Yes get it and just watch your fp guage if needed.

Then you will fill that extra bit of power and be like i could you a little more and then a little more and then next thing you know it you will be going for like 500hp lol. Good luck and have fun!
Old 09-02-2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Texaschevelle
You can't find anyone more paranoid about the VP than me. And last night I installed the edge juice with attitude. I am showing 12-13psi @idle, about 9 @cruise speed, and down to 3psi on stage 5 @ about 3/4 throttle. While I am planning to upgrade my fuel system, I am so at ease by seeing what my fuel system is doing via the monitor. I have a holley black pump in the box right now, I am searching for someone to tell me how I need to hook it up in line with my stock LP. My goal is 14psi @ idle, and no lower than 9 psi @ WOT on stage 5.

While your PSI will drop when you turn up the power and shower down on it, it will be fine at cruising speeds. Get your programmer man. To live in fear is no way to live at all. To the VP in the words of Drago on rocky 4 "if it dies, it dies". LOL
install the pump on the frame cut the line and plumb it up i used the wiring from the stock lp and then it comes on with the stock lp but make sure you use a pre fliter because it will suck all the stuff on the bottom of your tank.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:35 PM

Alos, the Juice is going to pull fuel pressure down considerably more than what he is looking at because it pierces the pump wire.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:02 AM

I had just bought this truck and within 2 days she was throwing a p0-0216 and puffing white smoke continuously. lucky for me my dealer treated me right and replaced it non questions asked. so with that being said i dont want to anymore horsepower that will lead to me replacing the pump in a quick manner. I have a fuel pressure guage and plan on putting a different lp on in the near furture. at just over a 1k a pop I dont think everyone can afford a new Vp every other week because they want more power. If so you might have more dollars than cents