Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Vp44 Dead!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Vp44 Dead!!

Well after 170,000 miles and a fair amount of abuse my VP finally tipped over. So what I am curious about is, I know I what to go with the standard output pump instead of the high output pump, my question is though is this a straight swap or will I have to do anything special for it to bolt up and work properly. Being that the truck is a HO does it matter or will it effect the ECM or any other computer on this truck if I don't put the same pump that came on the truck from the factory?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2008, 09:04 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Chris,

Straight swap, nothing special needed. You better start working on that truck before winter sets in.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Banned

Get a Pump Puller it will make it go alot smoother.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:55 PM

My dads IP just bit the dust tonight. How much difference in power switching from a HO pump to a SO pump?
Old 08-30-2008, 09:22 PM

The pumps look the same on the outside, Its just the internals that is differnt, so phsycically the swap should be easy, but i wouldn't recomend a standard output pump in a high out. high output pumps put out more pressure and they have smaller injetors.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by rage_blue
The pumps look the same on the outside, Its just the internals that is differnt, so phsycically the swap should be easy, but i wouldn't recomend a standard output pump in a high out. high output pumps put out more pressure and they have smaller injetors.
Well this is interesting because everyone else seems to say that the HO is limited in the amount of fuel it can deliver as compared to the SO which can flow a higher volume of fuel. So yes I agree from the factory the HO produces 10hp over the SO but when you start fueling heavier the HO is limited in comparison. If I am wrong I sure hope someone chimes in before I purchase the SO!!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:39 AM

The so pump will support more power. Its been done by a few and lots of people went from ho to hot rod pumps, so its no big problem.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by dieselrob
The so pump will support more power. Its been done by a few and lots of people went from ho to hot rod pumps, so its no big problem.
This is what I have been told and thought, thank you for the conformation.

Chris
Old 09-03-2008, 12:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A healthy HO is limited to 525 or so on #2, a healthy SO can push well north of 600 on #2 only.

A stock HO truck with a SO pump will feel a little bit doggy. Need some programming or injectors to make it feel peppy again. A 500 HP HO pump truck that is then switched to a SO pump will feel noticeably stronger, especially when using high duration wire tap boxes like the Adrenaline. Can you say 180+ HP!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 09:40 AM

Who has personally did the change from a HO to a SO on their truck? I got some conflicting info from I.I yesterday saying it could probably be done but is not suggested by them since the truck will not run right and could screw up the computer. They said the same amount of HP can be made with either the HO or the SO. So I am very confused. Has anybody really done this on their 2001 HO or is this all just "so and so did it on his" kind of thing? SO real world experience please.

Thank you
Old 09-03-2008, 10:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I swapped from the HO to the SO pump when my VP44 died. You do lose a little response on the bottom end, but that is easily made up for with the Smarty. But the difference in top-end is amazing. With my HO pump, I saw no real differences between 5 and 9 on the TST aside from a little more heat/smoke. Max boost with the HO pump was around 43-45psi. After swapping to the SO pump, you could feel a noticeable difference on the higher levels of the TST. Max boost with the SO pump was somewhere above 50psi (backed out when I hit 50 as I don't have studs).

I was hoping to get a set of dyno numbers after swapping to the SO pump to measure the differences, but I never had a chance to make it to the dyno with the same config minus the SO pump.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by bridleman
Who has personally did the change from a HO to a SO on their truck? I got some conflicting info from I.I yesterday saying it could probably be done but is not suggested by them since the truck will not run right and could screw up the computer. They said the same amount of HP can be made with either the HO or the SO. So I am very confused. Has anybody really done this on their 2001 HO or is this all just "so and so did it on his" kind of thing? SO real world experience please.

Thank you
Brady told me the same thing. My guess is they say that so they can justify their HRVP.

BTW, I went from HO to HRVP because very few had gone HO to SO and no one selling them was recommending it at the time. I don't have any issues with my HRVP with idle or otherwise. My theory is the HRVP runs and idles better on the HO trucks vs the SO trucks. My unofficial survey of reading issues with HRVP's it seemed it was mostly on SO trucks.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:28 AM

Well after hearing that someone has personally done the swap on their 2001 HO with great success I am going to send the HO pump back just as soon as I recieve it today

I don't mean to redondent but their is nothing else I will need to do this swap correct?

Thank you all very much
Old 09-04-2008, 09:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
No, it's a straight swap.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:51 AM

I swapped to a SO pump and have been very happy... Would recommend to anyone who is moddifying their truck not staying stock...

I gained approx 50hp or so with just the swap alone on a TST Comp/Smarty stack... and to be clear I swapped out a healthy HO for a SO its not like my HO was dying, giving me dead pedal or anything...

No differences installing one or the other... The only difference you will see is a difference in id tags on the pump...

Quick Reply: Vp44 Dead!!