Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Vp44 change to p7100

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vp44 change to p7100

What all would be involved in putting a bosch p7100 inj. pump on a 2000 dodge that currently has a vp44?
Old 01-23-2007, 05:47 AM

umm i think there was a tread on here lastweek or so about it. But I think you need a pump,front cover, lines,. theres' a few websites who sell kits to do it
Old 01-23-2007, 01:13 PM

There are two schools of thoughts on this swap.
1) Buy a kit from haisley, or scheids, etc, put in a huge built Pump, have a set of huge custom injectors made by DDP, or F1 , the end result from this would be a stoopid killer truck with lotsa power. With this option your looking at $1500 for the kit, $4000 for the pump and $1000 for the injectors.

2) Do alot of the work yourself, have the timing covered machined locally, put on a smaller tweaked 180 or 215 pump, carefully re-use your stock lines and stock injectors. This has been done fairly cheap by some. $800-$1000 for a pump and whatever it cost to machine the timing cover. There more to this than those two but not real sure what else, throttle linkage, cruise control, tach, intake horn spacer, (everything that comes with the kit if bought from haisley or whoever)

People who do option #1 disagree with option #2 because they say it defeats the purpose of having a p-pump, they want all out power, 800-900hp. The ones who choose option 2 do it because they want all out reliability and are tired of replacing VP44 at 1500 a pop.

You choose why you want it.

Jamie
Old 01-23-2007, 01:24 PM

I totally agree with that last post..........I put a HRVP in this past Sat........and so far I love it. great upgrade

.....If/when it goes out. The next pump will be a p7100 conversion, no question about it. I'll be going the power monger route with it.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by natlchamp2k4
There are two schools of thoughts on this swap.
1) Buy a kit from haisley, or scheids, etc, put in a huge built Pump, have a set of huge custom injectors made by DDP, or F1 , the end result from this would be a stoopid killer truck with lotsa power. With this option your looking at $1500 for the kit, $4000 for the pump and $1000 for the injectors.

2) Do alot of the work yourself, have the timing covered machined locally, put on a smaller tweaked 180 or 215 pump, carefully re-use your stock lines and stock injectors. This has been done fairly cheap by some. $800-$1000 for a pump and whatever it cost to machine the timing cover. There more to this than those two but not real sure what else, throttle linkage, cruise control, tach, intake horn spacer, (everything that comes with the kit if bought from haisley or whoever)

People who do option #1 disagree with option #2 because they say it defeats the purpose of having a p-pump, they want all out power, 800-900hp. The ones who choose option 2 do it because they want all out reliability and are tired of replacing VP44 at 1500 a pop.

You choose why you want it.

Jamie
Could you use the scheids or haisley kit, but find go out find a tweaked 180 or 215 pump?
Old 01-23-2007, 05:38 PM

Yes, you can use any pump with those kits. You can build a really nice 215 pump with laser cut DV's, custom plate, afc ful forward, and starwheel mods will make alot of power, alot cheaper than fully built pump from someone.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
shrimpboatcptn:

Before you do it, I suggest giving Doug Smith a call at "Performance Diesel Warehouse!" He did exactly what you are asking about and as I recall I don't think he was real happy with the truck (as a daily driver) after he did it.

Hope this helps you some.

--------
John_P
Old 01-23-2007, 08:07 PM

Im just thinking that if(actually more a matter of when) my vp44 goes out about trying to do the p7100 conversion since that pump is a whole lot more reliable. Thanks for the info on the conversion kits. ill look into them
Old 01-24-2007, 09:07 AM

If you haven't already you'll still need an aftermarket fuel system to support the injection pump...IMHO the electric lift pump is the fault on these engines, not the injection pump...
Old 01-24-2007, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard 3rd gen diesels that are really quiet when your outside the cab, compared to the 2nd gen. Would just replacing the P7100 do that? I've heard that the majority of the noise from a diesel is generated by the injector pump. If it's not the pump, what else was done to later models to make them so quiet?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:21 PM

And as long as we're discussing pump swaps, let me ask a totally dumb question. I don't know that much about the 3rd Gen engines, but what would you require to use an IP off a 3rd Gen CR engine? I've never looked at one so I just don't know how different they are.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:25 PM

The 3rd gen CR pump is not an Injection pump, its only a high pressure pump supplying injection pressure to the whole rail. the injectors are where its all happening. Common rail is so much quieter than the older ones by design, but there is a pilot injection before the main injection event to start a flame front in the cylinder and have a very smooth main injection burn. A pilot injection is not possible with an injection pump, only a common rail style engine.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by DEMON
The 3rd gen CR pump is not an Injection pump, its only a high pressure pump supplying injection pressure to the whole rail. the injectors are where its all happening. Common rail is so much quieter than the older ones by design, but there is a pilot injection before the main injection event to start a flame front in the cylinder and have a very smooth main injection burn. A pilot injection is not possible with an injection pump, only a common rail style engine.

So in essence you're saying that there are some fundamental engine architecture differences between the 2nd Gen and the CR engines? Is the rail actually part of the engine itself or is it an attachment? I'm assuming there would be some major differences in the heads?
Old 01-24-2007, 01:32 PM

It's an attachment...but the blocks are heavier in the CR engines to help with the noise.

As far as heads go, I assume the injector bores are different, and I believe they changed valve sizes and seat materials at some point in the CR engine!

Chris
Old 01-24-2007, 01:35 PM

I've never had to work on a commonrail Cummins, so i can't say if the high pressure rail is in the head or a high pressure tube on the side of the head. But it is a totally different fuel system. The electronic injectors are the brains in the CR system and the injection pump is the brains in our system. Off all the differences in in the 2 generations the pilot injection is by far the #1 reason they're so quiet.

Quick Reply: Vp44 change to p7100