Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Which vp44 to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RickCJ
Yes an SO pump will work on an HO but then your HO will only have SO power! or viceversa.
A HRVP has the best of both SO and HO parts to get you around 80 hp more than either stock. More fuel at higher pressure! Then if you add a box you will still get the extra power the box delivers. So if you have a HRVP and a Comp you will have lots more power than just a SO pump with a Comp. around 80hp more!
I don't know how any other brand HRVP idles but the II pumps idle like stock, if not you must have a problem somewhere, I had 1 install that had chewed the pump and aluminum shavings got in the injectors, it would idle fine sometimes then sometimes it would miss randomly other times.

I'm sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with this. There have been numerous complaints of the HRVP not delivering the power from a wire tap box. There have also been numerous complaints of the II pump having a lopy idle. I dont care how you look at it, I think the HRVP's are a waste of money. I'm sorry if I offend those of you that spent your hard earned money on them, but I believe you got took.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 95ram
I dont care how you look at it, I think the HRVP's are a waste of money. I'm sorry if I offend those of you that spent your hard earned money on them, but I believe you got took.
The extra $400 I spent to get my shovp is still worth it to me. My lope isn't bad and one of these days the smarty softwares might cure this symptom. Even if yall say a so pump has the potential to make more power, I still think the hrvp a good bomb for someone looking for a little more if they have an HO and a failing vp44
Old 01-12-2007, 01:29 AM

UPS just left a delivery notice on myfront door today. My II HRVP is here. I'll let you all know how it hooks up with a stock truck then with the smarty after........
Old 01-12-2007, 08:16 AM

New to the 24 Valve stuff as I just got an 01. Probably been asked a million times but how does emissions (State Of Ct requirement) suffer with HO pump or electronic boxes?
Old 01-12-2007, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by 95ram
I'm sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with this. There have been numerous complaints of the HRVP not delivering the power from a wire tap box. There have also been numerous complaints of the II pump having a lopy idle. I dont care how you look at it, I think the HRVP's are a waste of money. I'm sorry if I offend those of you that spent your hard earned money on them, but I believe you got took.
There's a limit to what you can do to your engine, if you allready have all the performance addons what do you expect by stacking more?

01.5 2500 HO QC SB 4x4, SJ D25's, 305/70/16 Goodyears, 16x8 eagle alloys, 4 inch straight pipe duals, , Auto Meter pyro, boost, and FP guages, TST PM3 Comp, Smarty, Air Dog, SB DD, Big DDP's, Twins. every facotory option, got to love heated leather

You have TST, Smarty and Injectors what else could a HR pump do? You allready have all the fuel and timing you can get.

I have SHO, Comp and DDII and each will make power alone and each adds more power stacked. My truck has all the fuel and timing available and I wouldn't expect another add on to give any more.

So if you allready have all the addons done to your truck a HRVP can't help much. But if you turn your box off you will tell a differance!
Old 01-12-2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Matt Lambrech
New to the 24 Valve stuff as I just got an 01. Probably been asked a million times but how does emissions (State Of Ct requirement) suffer with HO pump or electronic boxes?

More fuel = more power = more smoke = more emmisions. Turn the box off and stock emmisions!
Old 01-12-2007, 11:15 AM

Thanks for all of the info it has been greatly appreciated. I decided to order a hrvp from II. Ill let everyone know how I like it as soon as it gets here.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Lambrech
It would depend on if you have them hooked up or not.An Ho pump could be a problem,but I highly doubt anyones going to look twice at it,as long as the truck isnt smoking heavy.Unhook any electronics before your inspection,and use them responsibly on the street.I think the only box thats legal for the 2nd gens is the TST powermax,and thats with stock injectors only.It has a CARB exemption number,so you could run that box,and not worry,so long as you dont combine other mods.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd like to prove the HRVP theory wrong, but cant find anyone willing to switch there HRVP to an SO. Basically you try and tell someone that the HRVP is what is holding them back and they look at you like you just kicked their dog. Some people believe its the best thing since sliced bread, and I dotn have a problem with that. I just dont believe it to be true. I believe what I'll have to do is bring an SO pump to the next GTG and ask one of the guys with and HRVP to swap pumps and I'll supply the pump. How knows, it's just a thought.