Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

vp44 after-math

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vp44 after-math

I blew my vp44 last summer and replaced with piers .027 spec pump.I also put new lift pump and carter pusher to. Also installed ray's banjo's and fuel gauge. Now to me it seem's like the truck doesn't pull as hard as it used to.Only other mods i did was 4" exhaust since the vp44 blew.To me it seem like my top end is what's lacking,almost like it lags more.Anyone else experiance this. Maybe the exhaust upgrade... My truck also uufm comp. & dd stage 2's. Thanks for any info........
Old 01-28-2004, 02:57 PM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Dont know the answer. I have heard of people say that after they put on a 4 inch exhaust that they ran into that. I could see how a 4 inch would lessen exhaust velocity thereby creating more lag but it sure looks like you have more than enough fuel mods to make up for it. By the way one individual who I know that ran into this put his stock elbow/downpipe back on and problem solved. I am certainly no expert or engineer just passing on what I have heard from at least one other.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:33 PM
The Guru

I added a 4in to my truck. It really didn't anything to make more or less power. It just helped in turbo spool-up and lower the egt abit. Have you talk to Piers about your truck yet? I'm sure they would be more than happy to help you out. Get them to put it on there dyno and findout were your at. Maybe your pump isn't working as well as it could be. Its nice when possible to get a dyno run before and after any mod so you can get the straight facts. I havent yet paid for a dyno run and my truck has had lots of runs. I had the truck on a dyno for an entire day just trying speed parts out. It was fun.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:59 AM

Look for something simple like a boost leak. May only show up at higher boost numbers. Just a suggestion.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:42 AM

Actually I was at piers in sept. dyno days and truck did 411&900 at rear wheels.I did talk to them and they suggested cleaning the map.My truck sometimes cranks longer when warm before starting piers says cause fuel press. to high.My press. is 25 @ idle and wot at the least 13. thx mike Deere diesel Had a look at the boots and they look okay but i have noticed a little change in pitch of turbo almost like a sreeching sound.Boost seems good @32psi aprox. How close do I have to check the boots or could it be leaking some where else.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:47 PM

Screeching sound may be a boost leak, but seems like your makin enough boost. Im no 24v expert here but just tryin to keep it simple. We had a truck at work (DT466-p-pump) that I had just overhauled that would do the same "screeching" sound only on the top end. Turned out I didnt have a charge air hose tightened down all the way.
carty
Old 02-02-2004, 07:01 PM

deere diesel have you ever had a boot rip or blow out.What usually happens to them when they blow.Any where else I might be leaking from?
Old 02-02-2004, 08:18 PM

When the boot blows, there is usually a very loud screeching noise, along with black smoke, lower boost, (might still be good) and a loss of power. The first time mine leaked, I was sure that the tubo had blown!
Old 02-02-2004, 08:51 PM

Dying Squirrels being kicked between the legs???

Boost Leak!

I had an intake gasket leaking and before it got worse it sounded like a squirrel being severly punished

James
Old 02-02-2004, 10:26 PM

Thanks guys.I'm going to check the boots and intake a little closer tomorrow.It's gotta be leakin somewhere.So if the boot leaks is it usually lots or could it have a small tear.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by torqueman
.So if the boot leaks is it usually lots or could it have a small tear.
This happened before I put on my boost gauge so I have no idea if I was loosing boost or not. When I first bought my truck, I noticed both my lower intercooler boots where torn. The hole was about the diameter of a pencil lead. It had been rubbing with the fender sheet metal. Check yours. I bent my sheet metal back It would not rub. I got new heavy duty, and I mean heavy duty, boots from Piers. He has a Kit. Its not cheap,. but they are very high quality.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:23 AM

Mine were torn by fender sheet metal too. solved with piers lower boots.
carty
Old 02-04-2004, 02:13 AM

Piers Booties are a PITA to get on. Just have patience with 'em... They go on a little better if you get them warm. I've heard of people putting them in boiling water for 10-15 minutes to get them to soften up. (They will be hot,, Carefull)

Merrick
Old 02-04-2004, 11:01 AM

thanks guys....Went and checked boots last night and they seemed okay.The two bottom ones are sure alot softer than uppers.Which side is it that rubs on fender so I could check closer.By the way when I was checking for leaks noticed oil residue at cooler pipe and turbo is that common.Those boots that piers carries are they those blue ones.If so don't care for blue are they avail. in black.....
Old 02-04-2004, 11:10 AM

I second that Merrick. They where a PITA to get on. They are nothing like the stock ones. I put a little 1-2-3 Grease on mine(it doesnt attack rubber), and it helped.

Torqueman, they are black & if it was rubbing a hole you would know it. Sitting by the tire looking in there is not doubt.

Quick Reply: vp44 after-math