Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Vp44

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 06:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Vp44

Stuck between a rock and a hard place, Iam on my 4th injection pump. The first on lasted 10 years and 300,000 km with no problems at the end I was haveing some. I replaced it that one lasted 14 months had to buy another one it quit after 4 months..... warrenty,,, onto #4 it has lasted ONE MONTH! I AM DONE spent the big dollars on a Blue Chip ........

WANT AD REMOVED, PLEASE USE CLASSIFIEDS
Old 06-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Just a hint...... but I went through 3 VP44s before I placed my Edge Comp in the bottom drawer of my tool box.
Each was described as "Internally Self Destructed" by the rebuilder.

VP number 4 was installed and the Edge Comp was reinstalled (this time in EZ mode <No Wire>) and the engine acted like it was gonna die on the way to work one morning.
Removed the Comp, haven't had a SINGLE problem in more than two years.

The VP quality wasn't the problem, The EDGE COMP was.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:06 AM

I can say I can not disagree with that, BUT I have not hooked up the box I like to wait to put some hrs on the pump to make sure things are working.....The second pump just quit ..........the third pump was not running right out of the box........the forth after a month has a hard start first thing in the morning but after that one bump of the key it starts .....so I now it is NOT the box!
Old 06-08-2012, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you sure there isn't an air leak with pump #4? If you haven't already; try bumping the key to let the lift pump run (maybe a couple times). The thought is to reestablish the prime. Does the engine start better right after this?
Old 06-08-2012, 01:17 PM

Have you contacted Blue Chip about your problem?
Sounds like something is killing the pumps.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:03 PM

No No NO air leek I have been throught all the fitings twice as per blue chips web site and its not like a leek per say it does just what it say on cold start once it starts it runs smooth not like it has drained the injector lines......nothing killing the pumps they are just junk rebuilds, my freinds shop is haveing the same problems buying from this rebuilder!!! you get what you pay for........all I was hopeing for was 5 years and most likely sell the truck and upgrade to newer one.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:41 PM

I'm confused.....
Are you saying that all 3 were Blue Chips' pumps failing?, or VP44s from other rebuilders?
Old 06-08-2012, 05:53 PM

No, the blue chip is what is going on the pumps I have been useing that fail are from here, a local supplyer.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should have good luck with Chips pump. I don't thing I've ever heard a bad thing about him and he's been in this game fro a while.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:58 PM

As I went for the premiun pump wight as well go for broke!!!!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:03 AM

That's where I was getting confused.
I thought you were having Blue Chip's PUMPS failing that quickly.

So you're using a Blue Chip "Stealth Cover" to hook up to the Pump wire?

Blue Chip's pumps are darn near bullet-proof.
The savings you get from buying some cheaper pumps is false economy.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:18 AM

A men to that and yes to the cover
Old 06-12-2012, 02:16 PM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much fuel pressure you running at the VP? I'm the original owner of my 02, and I've only killed one VP pump over the years, mostly due to the stock piece of chit lift pump cummins used way back in the day.

I'm currently run an original (non-rebuilt) high miler VP out of a roll over truck with 200000km on it, I have put around 200000kms on it myself. Had tons of fueling issues from blown fuses, fuel leaks, and so on. The VP still works strong as the day I put it in. Its been wire tapped since day one. I even ran 50psi of fuel pressure for a year, I felt sorry for it and now running 28psi.

Must have done 50-60 sets of injectors and a few dozen turbo swaps over the years. VP's get a bad rap, even when most of the problems aren't related to the VP.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:32 PM

I ran my first pump (taped) for 300.000k went thought about 7 lift pumps then put on a fass and had no problems with ip pump I just changed it out as it was reaching its limit for time and miles. I just did not want to get stranded out in the middle of nowhere. The rebuilt pumps I have been getting are junk like i said first one lasted 14 months second and third only about 4 months and fuel pressure sits at 15lbs, new fuel filters every time!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:18 PM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a collection of free supposely dead VP44 pumps that all work fine. People usually are so peed that I get them for free. I find that free ones are the best.

If I was you, I would have them show you all the new parts prior to rebuilding the "core" pump. Some shady bargain priced fuel shop that cut a ton of corners by using used parts.

Quick Reply: Vp44