Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

VP dying at 40K with no wire tap!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 12:19 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Hohn was talking about a hypothetical fuel system.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So if it's the quality of fuel that's causing VP's to die, then fuel additive becomes a critical factor, right? Lubricity counts, and what other factors?
Old 06-20-2005, 06:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

OK-- you guys will get a kick out of this!

I took it to the dealer. They said all the codes happened 87 start cycles ago, so they are sure it was an isolated deal and the VP is fine.

Turns out they found the problem! IT WAS MY WASTEGATE HOSE

That's right-- my wastegate hose had blown off the wastegate fitting (not the one at the elbow) and THAT'S what was causing my low power and driveability problems.

I couldn't get them to explain to me how that caused my dead pedal and 0216 code, the surging and white smoke.

So after paying a mere $99 to have the "proper" wastegate hose installed and the two solid-diamond clamps needed to hold it on, the sent me back on my way.

I didn't raise a stink because they are crediting my $99 towards the $100 deductible if in fact it IS the pump.

After all, it couldn't be the PUMP, could it??

I proceded to take out the truck on the hwy to see if *I* could duplicate the problem for them. Surprise surprise, the CEL came on and it starts acting up. I take it back to them and they are like-- "well, this is GOOD, now we can troubleshoot since the wastegate "problem" was fixed".

The good news is that they didn't see fit to void my warranty just because I had gauges and a Max-Flow.

They don't see the "low power" problem, and it's really a dog. I guess that DD2s with a dead pump are about as strong as stock sticks when the truck's running right, eh?

Their diesel tech is a guy that's on the ball and knows his stuff, imo. But they only have the one main tech, and the other guy is dong my truck under his watchful eye. Their service manager is about as clueless as the day is long. Probably can't spell ASE.

Anyway, I thought you guys might get a chuckle out of that like I did. I almost laughed at the manager when he told me their "fix"!

Justin
Old 06-20-2005, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by Mike D
I think Hohn was talking about a hypothetical fuel system.
Yes, entirely hypothetical.

A cooler before the VP might help some, but my purpose would be in lowering the AVERAGE fuel temp, instead of the fuel temp before it hits the VP.

Besides, I don't want the cooler to aggravate fuel gelling in winter, so it can't be on the supply side. I don't want to mess with plumbing one between the filter and VP as that's the only supply side option.

The return side still cools the fuel, perhaps even doing a better job, because the fuel is hottest immediately coming out of the engine, so it has more heat to dump. Dumping it there, BEFORE it hits the tank would help keep fuel temps down.

Also, if I plumbed in a <5 micron fuel filter on the return, it would be a BYPASS setup. Thus, it can't cause a restriction on the return side because it's plumbed off a wye in the fuel system.

Any other possible snafus?

jlh
Old 06-20-2005, 07:02 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hohn,
Dealer told me my 0216 code and the symptoms described "sounded like a wastegate issue".
PumpS went on today, supposed to have it back Tuesday morning.
Overall it sounds like they go when they want?
Old 06-20-2005, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by HOHN
Yes, entirely hypothetical.

A cooler before the VP might help some, but my purpose would be in lowering the AVERAGE fuel temp, instead of the fuel temp before it hits the VP.

Besides, I don't want the cooler to aggravate fuel gelling in winter, so it can't be on the supply side. I don't want to mess with plumbing one between the filter and VP as that's the only supply side option.

The return side still cools the fuel, perhaps even doing a better job, because the fuel is hottest immediately coming out of the engine, so it has more heat to dump. Dumping it there, BEFORE it hits the tank would help keep fuel temps down.

Also, if I plumbed in a <5 micron fuel filter on the return, it would be a BYPASS setup. Thus, it can't cause a restriction on the return side because it's plumbed off a wye in the fuel system.

Any other possible snafus?

jlh
Opps...

Once again I didn't read the whole thread... I stopped in mid flight and came back later to it...

But the idea sounds good... I would stick think about added on in front of VP aways... I got to admit the fuel does get pretty warm... I just changed my filter today and the fuel from the LP is quite warm...
Old 06-20-2005, 10:00 PM

Hohn;
Sorry about your failure. Hope you get a quick fix. I read somewhere back on a Bosch site that most vp failures could be traced to poor fuel. They showed several failures and the damage done to the ip using different fuels.
Hope the new pump lasts ten years like it should.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by Gear Poet
So if it's the quality of fuel that's causing VP's to die, then fuel additive becomes a critical factor, right? Lubricity counts.....?
This was my thought as well! Anyone lost their VP44 after regularly using Stanadyne Performance Formula....or some other GOOD diesel lubricity/cleaning treatment??

"Dry" (low aeromatic) diesel fuel has been rearing it's ugly head ever since the EPA mandated Low Sulfur fuel..... going to get worse in 07!

I often wonder if I'm wasting my money on Stanadyne...and have to renew my decision by looking at their brochure to see the "with" and "without" pictures of fuel pumps at 2000 hrs..until I read threads like this.

Justin, Glad your dealer is covering your cost....as well as can be hoped for. Good Luck!

RJ
Old 06-21-2005, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by HOHN
.... my purpose would be in lowering the AVERAGE fuel temp, instead of the fuel temp before it hits the VP. jlh
Good arguement for filling tank at 1/2 empty.....seems to help LP life also!

RJ
Old 06-21-2005, 09:39 AM

125K on my truck.

Never, I mean never, fueled up without additive...Redline, Power Service, Howes, Stanadyne, and now Amalgamated.

Third VP 44 went in 4K ago.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:21 AM

Yeah-- I wish that an additive were the simple solution to VP issues. Your case proves this isn't true.

I think additives are a good idea, but I've also heard of many trucks with stock fuel delivery going a LONG time having never used additive.

I think it's pretty much luck of the draw, as I too use an additive pretty consistently.

I've also been known to add a little lube oil (some 10w-30) or two-stroke oil JUST for lubricity.

NO dice, pump still died.

Lubricity is one thing--- but what about the ELECTRONICS?????

I'm becoming convinced that more and more VP failures are because of the FPCM on the top, and getting heat away from this is a key part, imo, of having your VP last.

When/if my pump gets changed, I'll be exploring the CPU heat sink idea I posted about earlier in this thread.

jlh
Old 06-21-2005, 10:54 AM
Chapter President

I've talked with Chip from Blue Chip, he said that the pumps used on the UPS truck's engines have better electronics than what's used on our pumps. Anyone have anymore information?

Also, when would the pumps electronics experience the most heat? While running down the road or after shutdown? Popping the hood after shutdown should help in the interim to finding a better fix.

I have thought of the cpu fan as well, but was wanting to find a way to hook it up to a thermostat driven on/off switch. Then of course the question would be, what is too hot?
Old 06-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Chapter President

Yes! Exactly what I was thinking! Just how important is fuel quality, pressure,additives, complicated filtering and pump systems when it appears that more pumps fail from the 0216 DTC that signifies an electronic failure - not mechanical. How many people have had their VP44 fail because it seized and snapped the shaft? The mechanical failures are related to inadequate lubrication/overheating. It seems to me that most throw the death code and experience the electronic failure which I'm not so sure is fuel related........well, most of the failures I hear about anyway. So, how well will cooling the fuel that runs through the pump help to keep the control module on the pump cool......and, is the module failing because of overheating? Or is there another failure condition?.....like maybe a vibration related failure on a PC board? Just throwing out ideas. It would be interesting to hear how the electronic failures occur.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:06 AM

If you look at Blue Chip Diesel website they posted about the heat cycles killing the computers on the VP44 pumps. Because of the heat issues the solder on the boards were crystalizing and breaking their connectivity hence the intermittent power issues.

The pump they are now selling they say was specially developed for Fedex and now has a different computer on the pump itself to prevent the bad solder issues.

I don't know if the pump is the solution but from what I have experience and from what my brother have experienced on our trucks it does seem logical that there is some electrical component that is causing the issue and not a mechanical issue.

My truck has had a P0216 code since 30k miles now I'm at 87k and now she is really acting up so it looks like I'm about to spend some time in the garage troubleshooting the issue.

Hohn if your heat sink works let us know.

-CM
Old 06-21-2005, 11:40 AM

I'll get back to you when I have a new pump...

Quick Reply: VP dying at 40K with no wire tap!