Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

VP dying at 40K with no wire tap!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 05:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by rebal
Tap the wire???????????
what wire ?????????????
what for ???????????????
..what wire...SILLY, he must mean the one for the shutoff solenoid..or is it the other "one" . Seriously, I feel for ya, I have a 176K on my truck and even tho the pumps are apples and oranges I dread the day that it becomes "time" (and i know it will...eventually).
Old 06-18-2005, 11:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by AKDSLDOG
VP#1 at 42,000 miles
VP#2 at 51,000 miles
VP#3 at 58,000 miles
vp#4 at 69,000 miles

Yes, I see the pattern, should be #5 going south soon! since I have 81,000 miles now. I figure, if I paid for the warrenty and truck, they will eat it until 100K, then and only then will I go aftermarket and solve this little issue. My dealer hates me after this last one.
^^^ That's enough to make a guy trade!!!

Crap! The other possibility that suggests to me is that the same incompetent mechanic installed all the replacement pumps. Hope it wasn't a DIY job

jlh
Old 06-18-2005, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hot rod pump? where and how much
Old 06-19-2005, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by gsdog1
I drove my 99 in stock trim (not even gauges) for 108k miles. Stumlbed into the world of DTR and diesel performance, then immediately got gauges. I was getting about 3-5 psi fuel pressure at idle (who knows how long that condition had been lurking around).
Like myself I was running stock until everyone here told me to get GAUGES... Then I found the Weak LP then 2 week later Poof! P0216 code and surging idle!

It made it to 60,000 on the clock exactly then started puking... Thank goodness I've call the dealer ahead of time to get it order and changed!

At least there is good help here... It could be worse try talking to DC Tech...
Old 06-19-2005, 10:00 AM

Lift pumps and vp-44's are a small price to pay for the superior fuel delivery of the electronic 24 valve motor.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Banned

Justin, you need to stop nursing it lol. I see you are beginning to wean you truck of the teet by getting some 4s. Now get ya a hotrod, tap the wire, and start making some real powa. You are living proof that losing sleep over what's going to break next, don't work lol. Next dyno event, I hope to have some 7s, a Steroid, and be somewhere near 600hp. I know something is going to break soon but oh well. At least when it does, I won't be wondering if it was going from 250hp to 300hp that broke the camel's back lol
Old 06-19-2005, 11:28 AM

I agree.

I should have 400hp worth of fuel after the sticks. I think the reason my pump is going out is because I don't tow, and a Cummins that isn't working HARD isn't very happy.

Once I get to about 500-550, I'm done. Long term plan is M4s, TST, MAD ECM, and J.R.s 55 or some other single.
Then I gotta get some KORE suspenders.

jlh
Old 06-19-2005, 12:22 PM

Ron A,

"Lift pumps and vp-44's are a small price to pay for the superior fuel delivery of the electronic 24 valve motor."

From your perspective and experience what are the pros and cons of the VP 44 versus the P7100?

Hon,

Keep blazing the trail and good luck.

Thanks,

George
Old 06-19-2005, 12:35 PM
Banned

if you relied on the factory lift pump, you didn't do everything right! that pump was simply not meant to PULL fuel that far... put a $50 pump between the tank and the lift pump, and you would have never had a problem...
Old 06-19-2005, 12:39 PM

I am starting to think that fuel is a big culprit in pump failures..... Some guys seem to loose mutiple pumps (even on stock trucks) while others bomb away and have no failures...... Why would one truck loose 3+ pumps and another loose none? What is the common thread? I have seen trucks running for God knows how long with NO lift pump pressure and the VP just keeps on ticking, and then you have a truck like Justins that appears to have all the right stuff for longevity and its VP dies.

I have never (knock on wood) had a VP failure on any of my trucks. I try and buy fuel at places with high fuel turnover though. Well its just a thought.

Doug
Old 06-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Banned

Doug, VERY good point...

thankfully, we don't seem to have near as many failures in my neck of the woods as other people seem to have...

Forrest
Old 06-19-2005, 05:33 PM

Ya, fuel quality. I wonder how much of a factor this could be?? I know of a couple dead VPs in this area. I always buy fuel at the highest volume local stop, a Flying J. I go by there this week, and all the diesel pumps are closed and the ground is torn up!! That doesn't warm my heart, I'll tell you that much.

Forrest-- at my HP level the oem LP is more than adequate, mainting 10+psi always. That said, I've already mapped out my "next stage" fuel system:

Bottom feed from -8AN bulkhead at tank--> Aeromotive Marine pump--> Aeromotive Marine bypass regulator--> OEM filter--> VP44--> Return side--> Fuel cooler--> Bypass fuel filter (<5 micron)--> OEM tank return. All plumbing is Aeroquip socketless -8 or -6.

Complicated, yes. But it should provide virtually unlimited fuel at constant FP (adjustable from 3-15psi), have better filtration, and keep fuel from getting too hot with all the volume being pumped.

I'm not aware of any aftermarket pump with longer proven reliability than the Aeromotive pumps.

Csutton is STILL running his, and it's the cheapest Aeromotive pump they make!

jlh
Old 06-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Banned

when you're cooled by fuel, the factory lift pump is not adequate...

Forrest
Old 06-19-2005, 06:46 PM

Forrest-- the VP only lets in X amount of fuel at given fuel demand settings. You can have the biggest pump in the world and it won't increase that ACTUAL flow throught the VP.

Ever read the "Pumps, Lines, What not" novel on TDR? They PROVED that increased FP does nothing to increase actual flow through the VP. The VP only lets in a certain amount, no matter how much it has at its disposal, so to speak.

Drowning the VPs overflow does nothing to help pump cooling, as the overflow fuel doesn't go through the part of the pump that needs help to cool it. It never gets a chance to help cool.

At least, that's my current understanding. I'd like to be wrong.

jmo
Old 06-20-2005, 08:58 AM

Bottom feed from -8AN bulkhead at tank--> Aeromotive Marine pump--> Aeromotive Marine bypass regulator--> OEM filter--> VP44--> Return side--> Fuel cooler--> Bypass fuel filter (<5 micron)--> OEM tank return. All plumbing is Aeroquip socketless -8 or -6.
Hohn,

Wouldn't it be better to put the cooler before the VP44 and not after... You need the cool fuel into the VP44 not cooling the fuel after it left the VP44... Or just add a second cooler before the VP44...

Is there a possiblity that you extra filter on the return line resticted the flow back to the tank at all and created the failure?

Just my 2 cent of ideas and thoughts...

Quick Reply: VP dying at 40K with no wire tap!