Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

vp-44 tapping fueling boxes

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vp-44 tapping fueling boxes

anyone ever tapped the vp with a comp., tst pm3, redline, etc. and had the vp die on them? i am going to be tapping mine this week and want to know if i should expect to have mine die. i just replaced it a year ago and it runs awesome so i don't think i am worried. i talked to some other people and they made me realize that out of all the wire tapping boxes there are and how many people have actually ran one, the percentage of a vp failure is extremely minimal. i have read that in these case the vp was about to go anyway and this caused it to go over the edge. like i said vp is 1 yr old with 20,000 miles on it. also should i need to know anything about the install before hand? thanks
Old 08-14-2006, 05:28 PM

As long as your LP is in good working order you should be fine. However you might consider going with a big line kit of some sort to keep the excess fuel flowing. The more fuel it can flow the cooler it will stay.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:34 PM

If the vp44 were dieing a wire tap would kill it. You've got a fairly new vp44, so go for it
Old 08-14-2006, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by turbo dreams
anyone ever tapped the vp with a comp., tst pm3, redline, etc. and had the vp die on them? i am going to be tapping mine this week and want to know if i should expect to have mine die. i just replaced it a year ago and it runs awesome so i don't think i am worried. i talked to some other people and they made me realize that out of all the wire tapping boxes there are and how many people have actually ran one, the percentage of a vp failure is extremely minimal. i have read that in these case the vp was about to go anyway and this caused it to go over the edge. like i said vp is 1 yr old with 20,000 miles on it. also should i need to know anything about the install before hand? thanks

The easist way to tell is to tap the pump wire, switch it on the highest setting and run the crap out of it. Just stay close to home for the 1st 20 miles. I've had a couple give up! They had over 100k on them.
If it holds up for a couple full throttle runs it should be good to go. Your new pump should be OK.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:27 AM

Once I upgraded my Comp to a Drag it didnt take long for my VP to die.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:28 AM

I would concur that a big line kit would be a good move, and make sure you have PLENTY of fuel pressure. I know your pump is newer, but is it a stock pump, or a HRVP? If it is a hot rod, no worries tap the wire and have a ball. But watch out for cops. It will really waken the beast.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wire tapping is a weird thing. It used to be a problem on early 24V trucks, but turns out those pumps were dying a lot anyway.

I'd feel pretty OK about tapping the wire on any newer VP and newer rebuild. Much better pumps now.

I'd tap mine, if I could use the extra fuel and had the money for a TST

Trending Topics

Old 08-15-2006, 11:28 AM

the vp is a standard vp and was replaced a year ago. before i replaced it, it ran rough, almost stalled when you put it in drive, and was just plain dieing. now it's like brand new. it was the original pump so if it went 200k miles, i am ok with that.the box is the new xzillaraider dxz98s by quad. i am excited to try this thing out. he has pm'd me here and is coming out with some exciting new things for the vp-44 powered trucks. this thing is supposed to fuel past 3200 rpm's, and is stackable with a timing box/smarty. he says it will kill a comp on the dyno. similar to a tst except with higher rpm fueling. he hasn't tried the tst pm3 ce yet though. but he is working on having this box out do it. there is also a "race" edition in the works that will have timing and seems to be for EXTREME performance.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:31 AM

There is no doubt that wire tapping boxes are hard on the vp44's. They will shorten the life of your vp44. If you just paid $1200 for a vp, I would protect that $1200 investment by spending $650 on a FASS. The FASS will give you plenty of fuel pressure plus other benefits.
My vp isn't new. You can tell it's been on there a while because of how dirty it is. I have 150 hp sticks, and a drag comp and I haven't had any trouble out of mine yet. I have had these mods on for about 20k miles.
Another thing, if you ever want to do any extreme performance mods to your truck, you won't have to worry about your fuel pressure.

This is just the way I feel about it.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 01smoker
There is no doubt that wire tapping boxes are hard on the vp44's. They will shorten the life of your vp44. If you just paid $1200 for a vp, I would protect that $1200 investment by spending $650 on a FASS. The FASS will give you plenty of fuel pressure plus other benefits.

This is just the way I feel about it.
Other benefits may include random failures, and getting to convert back to stock LP on side of road.

The FASS is good, imo, but NOT $650 good, and definitely NOT bulletproof.

Imo, you can do MUCH better for that amount of money, or even less.

For example, one option starts with a W and rhymes with "ALBRO"

Lots of guys have gone well over 150K on a single VP with the wire tapped the whole time.

There's no doubt the one could rig up a nice fuel system with 2 micron filtration using a Walbro or Aeromotive pump and a standalone fuel manager (Standyne, Racor, Cummins Filtration, take your pick).

Heck, even a Toilet paper bypass fuel filter would be good!

JH