Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Volant Cold Air systems

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volant Cold Air systems

Just need some input from everyone on what they think of this system. I'm seriously considering it.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:16 PM

I have a Scotty II with the hole drilled. I really liked the "finished" look of the Volant System - so I bought one. I was able to use the hole cut for the Scotty II. I have not done a controled comparison of the EGTs. But I would think they would be comparable as they both obtain air from the same source and have similiar filter area.

What I have observed:

Doing "rough" measurements (tape measure and not using paper or a computer to compute the area) it appears as if the filter area is close to being the same (this wasn't expected).

IMO the Volant system is the louder of the two. Also with the Scotty you could pull it back and drop the flap (Insulation at the firewall) to quiet it down. With the Volant to take advantage of the hole in the cowl I have a rubber hose attached to the Volant extending to just inside the hole in the cowl. It is not nearly as easy to go to the "hush mode". My next project will be baffles in the cowl area to get rid of some of the noise. I like the noise around town and short trips - but on a long trip it is a little much.

IMO They are both an improvement over the stock set up.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:37 PM

the volant is slick looking...but the scotty is 100 bucks or so cheaper...also anyone know where to get the clear scottys, that is pretty cool
Old 03-05-2004, 08:23 PM

So the Volant has openings for both. Fender wall and the other?? I really am not to keen on cutting up my truck. Is there enough room with the volant to angle the end hole in a different direction? Excuse my ignorance as I don't have one to look at. I'm not to concerned about price but I definitly what a closed system
Old 03-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Banned

I really like the Volant intake air systems, they appear to be well engineered. I have one for my other truck, though not installed yet. If it was between the K&N FIPK, Scotty 1 or 2, BHAF, Or Volant. I would go with the Volant, it works well, it is new and there is more then enough copy cat trucks, try something different. Good Luck
Old 03-06-2004, 01:29 AM

"So the Volant has openings for both. Fender wall and the other?? "
Just in front of and below the windshield at the cowl there is like a trough that collects air to be blown into the fresh air system of the cab. Being in front of the windshield if puts a positive air pressure on the trough. The Scotty system and Volant system taps a corner of this (By drilling a 4" hole through the firewall) and takes advantage of the positive air pressure to push cool air into the air filter housing.

"Is there enough room with the volant to angle the end hole in a different direction?"
There is some room - it would be a tight fit - but you could probably take a different way. I am not sure how you could get to the cool air / positive pressure without cutting the hole. But ??

Good luck,
Old 03-06-2004, 04:33 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Hey George,

If you get a chance, could I convince you to do a side by side EGT comparison between the Volant and the Scotty II? During the past couple years, we've been trying to compile EGT comparisons of the different air systems on the market, and the Volant is the one least used. We've only been able to obtain 3 results, never side by side a Scotty II though. The 3 results we did get showed us EGT reductions similar to the old Scotty I, but without either a side by side, or a larger cross-section, its tough to draw any real conclusions.

Rod
Old 03-06-2004, 08:00 AM

Yeah, I would be very interested to hear about the difference between the 2 as I was going to look a Scotty 2 sytem but I never did get a response from the phone messsage I left at Wildcat
Old 03-06-2004, 10:35 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Originally posted by stonewalldiesel
Yeah, I would be very interested to hear about the difference between the 2 as I was going to look a Scotty 2 sytem but I never did get a response from the phone messsage I left at Wildcat
If you get the chance, could you leave another message? Every once in awhile, usually from a cell phone, we'll get a message where the phone breaks up right during the phone number I do apologize for not getting back to you...

Rod
Old 03-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by Push Rod
If you get the chance, could you leave another message? Every once in awhile, usually from a cell phone, we'll get a message where the phone breaks up right during the phone number I do apologize for not getting back to you...

Rod
And I had a Manitoba number here to call and each time I called it said "The celllular customer you are calling is either not answering or not in the area" something like that...I'll try and dig up the number and PM it to you...that was about 10 days ago too.
Not sure if I still ahve the number. This may not be your call.

Whenever I get calls from Rod I call them within 24 hr of receiving them...I either get ahold of the person, leave a msg to call back or I get that cell msg. I try it three times over a few days if I cannot leave a msg or reach the person. By then I have another list of calls to make. We try our best.

Scotty
Old 04-23-2004, 12:14 PM

I have a question about this system. Where did you get the hose you used to connect to the fender wall. Im sure I could find one but I want something that looks nice and is a good quality hose. I assume you could use the system without the hole but then is it much better than the stock system??

RT
Old 04-23-2004, 10:29 PM

Ok I answered my own question by calling Volant. There isnt a hose it has a small molded pipe which butts up against the firewall/cowel. I ordered one of these today so we will see how good it does. I know the Scotty is probably better but I like the clean look of the Volant and it is different. Seems like everyone has a Scotty. I dont plan on going over 350 HP so I think it will do good for me. If not, hey I can always get a Scotty from Rod. I also ordered my exhaust from DPPI today so I got some work to do next weekend I hope.

RT
Old 04-28-2004, 07:04 AM

Ok I got the system last night. I must say I wasnt real impressed for what I payed. But this is my first air induction kit ever, gas or diesel, so I dont really have a basis to go on. Looks like a pretty simple install. I will take some pics. The only thing I see now is the seal between the auxiliary air intake (cowl) and the box. There is a pipe or nipple on the box but no hole so you have to cut the end off the pipe on the box and cut your hole in the cowl then there is the issue of whether or not it fits into the cowl hole well or not(not sure if it will reach all the way there once the box is mounted). I might try to get some sort of weather stripping to seal it good. If any one has any sugestions on what to use here. The box does look pretty sharp and seems very durable. Who knows I might feel better about it when I get it installed.

RT
Old 04-28-2004, 09:01 AM

RT

The Volant box uses the three screws the old box used to attach to the fenderwell. On my truck this leaves the "pipe or nipple" an inch + from the cowl. One would think Volant would send a hose to attach between the nipple and the cowl. (I just thought mine didn't come with one.) Anyway I found a short piece of rubber black hose in the plumbing department at the local hardware store that fits over the nipple but inside the 4" hole.

Good luck on your install. It will be interesting to hear your experience.

George
Old 04-28-2004, 12:36 PM

You are exactly right about the nipple. I havent cut the hole yet. I am going on a trip this weekend and dont want to cut it just yet so I will probably work on that next week. I can tell an improvement over the stock system already though and can hear the turbo. Im sure when I cut the other hole it will be much louder. All in all I am fairly happy with it. I may end up switching to a Scotty down the road if my HP gets high enough but I wanted a unique setup for now. I took plenty of pics so I will post them in my gallery as soon as I can. The install was real simple. Just take out the stocker and put in the Volant. Basically 3 hose clamps and thats it.

RT

Quick Reply: Volant Cold Air systems