Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

van aaken vs edge

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
van aaken vs edge

I have the VanAaken box in my truck right now, really happy with it but i want more power..... so i've been looking into things here.

i straight piped my diesel, and i put a k&n in it.

i'm gonna do the injectors soon and maybe the turbo here in the late future.

now down to the point.. the va box puts out 75hp roughly where as the edge comp puts out 120 at maximum....... now is there something there not telling me... any cons to the edge at max power..... and i don't care about smoke, i actually kinda like it

but comments suggestions??

also my old truck has 270k on her now if that affects anything.

Thanks
Sean
Old 10-21-2005, 10:50 PM

If you want to sell your VA, let me know. I'll buy! Thx Stuart
Old 10-22-2005, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VA Box is comparable to Edge EZ Box. Edge Comp Box taps the Injector Pump wire. It's the only way to get more fuel...as opposed to redistributing when the fuel comes in (VA Box & EZ).

Most here love their Comp Boxes. You could stack your VA on to a TST PM3 Box and I believe you will see stronger top end. Some will argue this point. Before you do either....get gauges!

You don't list tranny in signature but whichever you have, you will need to spend some money there to get most out of Comp or TST Box.

Both tap the IP wire and get more HP.

RJ
Old 10-22-2005, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
VA Box is comparable to Edge EZ Box. Edge Comp Box taps the Injector Pump wire. It's the only way to get more fuel...as opposed to redistributing when the fuel comes in (VA Box & EZ).

Most here love their Comp Boxes. You could stack your VA on to a TST PM3 Box and I believe you will see stronger top end. Some will argue this point. Before you do either....get gauges!

You don't list tranny in signature but whichever you have, you will need to spend some money there to get most out of Comp or TST Box.

Both tap the IP wire and get more HP.

RJ

so your saying to put the pm3 inline with the va box?!?!?!
after looking at the tst products i really like that remote selector with all the guages built into it... i could see myself getting that.

edit: oh i'm an auto. nothing done to it yet... but the tranny is ready to drop out at any min and i'll put in a full performance one.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:42 AM

Yup, Stack them. VA gives you timing and low end fueling...PM3 gives you heavy fueling when the boost kicks in.
-PM3 plugs into block MAP sensor
-VA plugs into PM3 (and Data Port)
-Stock MAP Sensor plug goes into VA reciever.

The EDGE Comp gives you both in one box (but no gauges) so it's your choice. Can't go wrong either way. I personally prefer the TST PM3 HP Dyno Curves to the Edge Comp...but booth boxes are excellent.

RJ
Old 10-22-2005, 12:50 PM

huh thanks! will i need any supporting mods other than tranny?
Old 10-22-2005, 04:25 PM
Registered

go with the drag comp. its supposed to be like 160 or 170?
Old 10-23-2005, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by blackdiesel02
go with the drag comp. its supposed to be like 160 or 170?
even so it dosen't have that nice lil guage/remote thing you can plug in... i like it then i don't have to buy another full set of guages... it feels like i have a set in every veichle.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by IntakeRacing
huh thanks! will i need any supporting mods other than tranny?
To balance the package, for full power, you will need...
-4" exhaust, could wait for injectors
-Bigger Air Intake Now - Scotty II from DTR Co. Store
-bigger turbo

Keeping the TST Box on 1 or2 (out of 9 settings), you could be ok to drive till you get the above.

Good luck

RJ
Old 10-23-2005, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
To balance the package, for full power, you will need...
-4" exhaust, could wait for injectors
-Bigger Air Intake Now - Scotty II from DTR Co. Store
-bigger turbo

Keeping the TST Box on 1 or2 (out of 9 settings), you could be ok to drive till you get the above.

Good luck

RJ
thanks for all the help...

as for the 4" exhaust i have a 3" thats straight piped all the way through, that won't be enough?
Old 10-23-2005, 05:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Stock exhaust is fine with any box until you start adding injectors to them. A TST box or Edge box doesn't NEED a 4" per se, but you will notice a benefit from it as far as EGT reduction and turbo spoolup. So it may be a "nice to have" or it might be a "must have" depending on your driving style, EGT comfort range, and budget.

Now, you slap in some 100hp+ injectors on top of your aggressive fueling box and a 4" becomes closer to mandatory. Most people consider the stock exhaust good to about 375hp or so.

A fueling box alone will put you close to 320 (depending on how strong your truck is to begin with). Adding injectors can easily take you over 350.

With my injectors, a fueling box would give me about 475hp worth of fuel. Too bad I only have about 350hp worth of air
Old 10-24-2005, 12:43 PM

wow am i learning a lot in this thread......

now everybody is talking about fuel upgrades.... are they just talking injectors.. or should i do more?
Old 10-24-2005, 12:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by IntakeRacing
wow am i learning a lot in this thread......

now everybody is talking about fuel upgrades.... are they just talking injectors.. or should i do more?
Well there are a ton of fuel upgrades. Boxes add more fuel, injectors add even more fuel, but then you start pushing the limits of your stock fueling system. 24valves fueling is not so good, so they make some aftermarket upgrades as far as bigger lines and better pumps to supply all the fuel you could ever want. Also it keeps the pressure up so you don't end up starving your injector pump and causing it to fail...........those ain't cheap!!!

~Nick
Old 10-25-2005, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN
With my injectors, a fueling box would give me about 475hp worth of fuel. Too bad I only have about 350hp worth of air
So when are you going to fix that?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:45 AM
Banned

Hopefull he is not planning on waiting till the power-core is needing replacement.

How is that working out for you? I read everypost with your name about airfilters.

Quick Reply: van aaken vs edge