Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Van Aaken installed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Van Aaken installed!

Just got done installing a Van Aaken in my truck ... Wow! What a difference! All of the dead spots are now filled. Instead of getting that bitchin' feeling when the TC locks, it does it from GO! It's got that fat feel now. I can't believe I waited this long. I've got 275's in the garage and a new VP to install ... boy is this going to be fun!

I'm installing an adjustable boost elbow tomorrow. Should I see much more of an improvement? How does the adjustment work on the elbow?

Excuse me while I smile ...
Old 02-10-2006, 08:05 PM

Well, the auto may act a little diff then the 5 speed but all I can say after blocking the wastegate was WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!! With wastegate stock and current injectors I was getting 25 psi. That is a couple more then W/O the VA. When I blocked the gate I now get 34 then settles at 32. It was about the same or more increase the adding the VA in the first place.

Randy
Old 02-10-2006, 08:16 PM

If all your going to do for now is the VA box, just plug the wastegate hole on the compressor housing with a 1/8" pipe plug, no thread sealant needed either.

When you do the RV275s you may want to put the elbow in to actually lower boost spikes, but I honestly doubt you would have to. I saw spikes of 38 PSI on occasion with the Catcher and RV275s with the plug. That was more than I wanted in case someone else drove the truck. I put a manual boost control fitting on to control the wastegate better. You may not see that high of boost with VA RV275 combo and could get away with the plug even then.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:41 PM

I already purchased the boost elbow when I bought the VA. Do I adjust the screw all the way in and completely block the wastegate?
Old 02-10-2006, 09:18 PM

I put a plug in the line and a hose clamp to keep the line from swelling. In other words I would say yes. Just be a little careful and see what it does. You may like it and can leave it. It will give a solid starting point if nothing else.

Randy
Old 02-10-2006, 11:53 PM

So, correct me if I'm wrong; I need to set the boost level to keep my EGT's down, but not too low, right? Should I attempt to keep the EGT's where they were before the VA? For instance, before the VA, pulling a local hill, empty, I'd see 16-18 PSI and around 950-1000*. Should I set the boost to allow the same EGT reading as I was getting under those circumstances or am I totally lost?

My VP is pretty much toast (throws the P0216 occasionally), so I'm sure I'm not getting the full fueling potential out of the unit. That'll be my next project in a couple of weeks ... and, of course, the install of the 275's.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:38 PM

I installed the elbow and am getting around 25 PSI @ WOT and around 900*. This is pulling a long, steep grade. Does this sound about right for an otherwise stock engine? I have not messed with the elbow. I just installed it like it came. Any advice?
Old 02-11-2006, 06:51 PM

I'm also running about 25 psi without any adjustment to the elbow. you should be able to reach 1200* when pushing it, so your doing fine. With the 275's you'll be watching the gauge a bit more, especially towing.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by piperca
I installed the elbow and am getting around 25 PSI @ WOT and around 900*. This is pulling a long, steep grade. Does this sound about right for an otherwise stock engine? I have not messed with the elbow. I just installed it like it came. Any advice?

25psi seems a little low for the VA. I was running about 30psi when I had mine installed without anything else. With some injectors you should be over 30psi. If not, tighten the elbow to allow for more boost. If that still doesn't work, check for boost leaks.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by oestreich84
25psi seems a little low for the VA. I was running about 30psi when I had mine installed without anything else.
I'm probably a little low because of my wounded VP. I expect it will be a different beast once I change it out.

I just wanted to say, the sound of the turbo when it hits 22+ PSI is incredible!

Hey, I also noticed, when I had the intake hose off to install the elbow, that there was a line of, what looked like, grease around where the turbo blades spin. I have never noticed this before. Is it anything to be concerned about? Air filter has less than 5K.