Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Valet swtich for twins

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Valet switch for twins

With the new dyno numbers in

I think its time for a valet switch for towing, I know how a switch works and i know what the concept of it is, problem is should i just get one from PDR? or is it suggested that I just use a valve from the wastegate line to the top of the AFC

What do u guys think?

Thanks guys!

Rick
Old 12-11-2006, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No clue, but I did want to congratulate you on making 500+/1000+
Old 12-11-2006, 12:57 AM

just use a solenoid valve that blocks the boost signal to the AFC. Drill a veeery small hole in the air fitting out of the solenoid valve to bleed pressure off once the valve is closed.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:25 AM

I used a manual on off air switch off a of big truck. On the supply side I tied the boost gauge on to it so only one extra line is running into the truck. They have a bleed for the off side.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:35 AM

I think I still have my old one laying around. I had it on for about 2 weeks. I didn't use it because I run small injectors and get my hp from the pump. On the Valet I only made 140 hp. I was afraid that either the wife of i was going to get run over pulling out onto the main road. If you want to see what valet is like on your truck, pull the boost line off your afc and put a bolt into the line. Then drive it around. If you are running large injectors it's not bad, or if you grind a plate profile into the afc arm it will allow you to have a bit of fueling.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gwhammy
I used a manual on off air switch off a of big truck. On the supply side I tied the boost gauge on to it so only one extra line is running into the truck. They have a bleed for the off side.
I did the very very same! works great!

but this one idea keeps pondering in my head,

Couldnt one use an air regulator, that will only let through some amount of air, then depending on how you set the regulator (in the cab ), the afc foot will move forward only a little, or full, or none, or however you want it!

say if you set it it 10 psi, and you have a stiff spring, i dont think it'll move forward completly!

What do you guys think?

cuz I have the same problem on my free bombed 98, in valet mode, it has about less power then stock, cuz i have the afc moved back, for low end smoke!
Old 12-11-2006, 02:43 PM

I have cut some on the foot of the afc and run 370 injectors. In valet it runs around 40 lbs of boost which is just right for trailer pulling. I thought about the pressure regulator but sure do like the instant on with the toggle switch. I got everything slid all the way forward and the spring pretty loose, the right foot has all the control. In valet it pulls pretty hard but lays down in the mid to upper end.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:56 PM

I think we are talking about putting a pressure regulator in the line, and then putting the solenoid valve in line to bypass the regulator, that way you can have your cake and eat it too. You would see partial boost with it in valet, and with the valet off, you would see full boost. your afc would open partially, giving you maybe 200 horsepower, and full horsepower would give you full afc travel. that was a really good idea. I think we need to make a thread on this mod alone. It would be called ultimate valet. how about the real ultimate valet of a I/P regulator controlled from the cab, and you could turn it up and down with a variable resistor mounted on your dash. we could really shut the 24 valve guys up about in cab tuneability with that. it would be cheaper than a box too. I just looked it up in mcmaster carr, and it is 270 dollars for a 3-120 psi regulator. the variable resistor is no more than 10 bucks.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:13 PM

I don't use the valet unless I'm pulling a trailer or loaning the truck to someone. I have tried it before but catch myself shutting it off every time. It's kinda like a drug. I do get some of what you are talking about with the cut foot and the way the spring is adjusted loose.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by smoke_pedal
just use a solenoid valve that blocks the boost signal to the AFC. Drill a veeery small hole in the air fitting out of the solenoid valve to bleed pressure off once the valve is closed.
Sounds good

but i want the incab conveniance, as well, so I think PDR might be the way to go..

PS Ph4tty, thanks!

Silvano, what do u mean for your setup?

Rick
Old 12-11-2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
Sounds good

but i want the incab conveniance, as well, so I think PDR might be the way to go..

PS Ph4tty, thanks!

Silvano, what do u mean for your setup?

Rick
I have a very thin air hose into the cab, through the air valve and back into the engine compartment, to the afc (valve: the ones the older semis use for engaging 5th wheel, its a flip switch!

but i never turn it off, cuz tranny doesnt even shift right at WOT with it!
While running with it off, when i turn it on then i hear a PSSSSSt and the smoke is there! and the power.

Now ive been thinking about buying a small pressure regulator like smoke_pedal said and use it instead of the air valve, so i get variable afc stop. turn it from in the cab, (like a fuel box, that'd be sweet!)
Old 12-11-2006, 08:09 PM

Just uploaded a pic of my air valve in cab valet switch:

Old 12-12-2006, 12:42 AM

the pressure regulator I was talking about is called an i/p regulator. it takes a voltage signal and the higher the voltage, the higher the pressure.

most small regulators will go from 0-50 psi in one turn. you could use a **** with a pointer, and put a back on it, and mount the regulator behind the dash. put like a green yellow and red circle behind it to show safe temps for towing, safe temps for hot rodding, and insane fueling.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by smoke_pedal
the pressure regulator I was talking about is called an i/p regulator. it takes a voltage signal and the higher the voltage, the higher the pressure.

most small regulators will go from 0-50 psi in one turn. you could use a **** with a pointer, and put a back on it, and mount the regulator behind the dash. put like a green yellow and red circle behind it to show safe temps for towing, safe temps for hot rodding, and insane fueling.
hmmm the first regulator is something i havent seen & dont know where to get, BUT might be the best one to get!!

also i think the 2nd would be cheaper, and was what i was refering to.