Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

VA V5 vs. CaTCHER??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VA V5 vs. CaTCHER??

What is the difference between these two products? From what I can tell they do approx. the same job, not exactly sure though.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VA is an add on box. Fuel and Timing I believe.

CaTCHER is ECM software downloadable throught the dianositics port via SMARTY. Multiple programs available in the SMARTY downloader.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:50 AM

With Smarty on full Catcher...they are similar....HP-wise, with the Smarty having an edge in terms of responsiveness and better drivability.

Smarty gives option of no timing and fuel saver settings.

Biggest advantage I see in the Smarty has smoother, more integrated timing! Built in (to the ECM) is better than added on!

The Smarty will be the better option but is more expensive. Worth the additional cost? It is to me. But it's your budget... Your call.

RJ
Old 02-03-2006, 09:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had both a VA and the Catcher.

ECM is so much better it's not even close. You can't really compare them in price-- unless you think you can price compare a Timex and a Rolex.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:25 AM

Not to get off subject ... do you need an adjustable boost elbow with the VA? If so, what are the benefits?
Old 02-03-2006, 12:30 PM

Adjustable Boost elbow allows gradual increase in boost by partially closing off wastegate actuating air...as opposed to all or nothing on wastegate.

If VA has a boost fooler built in(??) it is a big advantage - allowing more boost air to help burn additional fuel that comes in more heavily and earlier than stock.

Does not apply, and can not be used, on your automatic if you have a "hard line" connecting rod to you wastegate.

RJ
Old 02-03-2006, 02:35 PM

It's a 99, so, without looking, I'm almost sure it doesn't have the hard line. What kind of boost pressures would be seen with a VA and 275's?
Old 02-03-2006, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by piperca
It's a 99, so, without looking, I'm almost sure it doesn't have the hard line. What kind of boost pressures would be seen with a VA and 275's?
I have the Van Aaken V5 and RV275 injectors. I can hit 32 psi with
my adjustable boost elbow.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:52 PM

I'll second 32psi with this setup.

Originally Posted by rjohnson
If VA has a boost fooler built in(??)
yes, the VA has a boost fooler built in.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Muted User

These two items you asked about are not to be compared together. Plain and simple. Its apples and oranges. Do a search on the mad catcher and/or smarty, and set aside a few hours of reading time. Then you will understand.

In a nut shell, its all about RATE. By all accounts from MAD users, the MAD is one of those things " If I had to explain, you wouldnt understand". Alot of people want to see dyno numbers, and all this other crap, but first of all, 99% of members who 'dyno' their truck dont even use a real dyno anyway....... sorry, thats another argument.... the MAD does not show overwhelming increases in HP or torque. But it does show overwhelming increases in the smile factor. You see, the 24v ECM has serious and substantial RATE limiters. by rate I mean the rate of increase of torque per second. The stock ECM will not allow more than say X% additional torque in the next tenth of a second than it did in the previous second even though the owner mashed the go pedal to the floor. It operaties with a very considerable 'ramp rate'. The MAD eliminates this and also tweaks the timing to deliver instant torque changes with instant pedal movements. You know that painful delay after you mash the pedal in some of the lower gears, that 99% of the folks attribute to turbo lag.... its the ECM lag... and it goes away with the MAD.. Thats one of the reasons why it can be such a handful in the wet and snow.... Total and complete razor sharp instanteous torque immediately under the go pedal.

The VA, EZ, and all the others are not doing the above. They are playing with the timing a tad and allowing fuel to come a little sooner. The MAD has attacked and beat the ECM's built in torque RATE of rise limiter.

And I dont even have one !!! I just know all this from others and what I have learned. But you can bet that I will have a Smarty in the next few weeks !!! Since other people besides me have to drive my truck and often in the rain, I never got the MAD ECM flash. But with the smarty, I can change it at will. So mine will be ordered in the next few weeks. When I am driving, it will be on #9 full Catcher. When the wife is using it......#0.

Ok, sorry for the long dissertation, but I am quite a bit drunk and I tend to get long winded when in such a condition.....

KP
Old 02-04-2006, 10:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
KP

**** straight.

try it

275's and a VA were my first combo for in 2000
Old 02-07-2006, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Adjustable Boost elbow allows gradual increase in boost by partially closing off wastegate actuating air...as opposed to all or nothing on wastegate.

If VA has a boost fooler built in(??) it is a big advantage - allowing more boost air to help burn additional fuel that comes in more heavily and earlier than stock.

Does not apply, and can not be used, on your automatic if you have a "hard line" connecting rod to you wastegate.

RJ
How can you tell if you've got the hard line connecting rod to the waste gate? I believe the V5 I ordered has the boost fooler, not positive though. What would determine if I should get an adjustable boost elbow or not? Does this help your towing oomph?
Old 02-07-2006, 08:01 AM

Look under your turbo, on the inside, I believe.
Looks like those in pictures here...
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ate+turnbuckle

Can use a boost elbow if you have a rubber hose coming from turbo to wastegate actuator (brass colored cylinder).

RJ
Old 02-07-2006, 08:16 AM

I just looked, there is a 3" little rubber hose running from the bottom of the turbo to the little brass cylinder/wastegate actuator, which is on the drivers side of the turbo. This means I can get a boost elbow? And the boost elbow will give me more boost, correct?

The neighbor lady thinks I'm weird, about twice a week I go running out to the truck in my pajamas and start looking in the engine compartment or underneath. Oh well. She's old.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Timberman
I just looked, there is a 3" little rubber hose running from the bottom of the turbo to the little brass cylinder/wastegate actuator, which is on the drivers side of the turbo. This means I can get a boost elbow? And the boost elbow will give me more boost, correct?
Yup! Or get a Manual Boost Controller, if interested. It allows you to better adjust your boost to where you want it. (see HX-55 tubro in my gallery, Pg 2). Your choice.

RJ

Quick Reply: VA V5 vs. CaTCHER??