Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Using a DSS Steering brace with sway bar drop blocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 09:51 PM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using a DSS Steering brace with sway bar drop blocks

I just ran into a problem. My DSS steering brace interfere with my sway bar. I'm using Kore drop block on the sway bar. The bar wants to go thru where the plate comes out of brace. I'm thinking about cutting off the brace and welding some C channel or square tubing to provide clearance for the sway bar. I've tried the sway bar in both directions the right way and wrong way (upside down) as there two ways to put it in. It fits the best upside down as the curve can almost bend around the DSS brace. I'm curious what someone else has done, as I'm not the first to put a DSS steering brace on a lifted truck. To me its kinda a wasted part if I have to cut it up to fit.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:19 PM

The best answer is to get some end links and ditch the blocks.
http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/do.../endlinks.html

Bob
Old 09-29-2008, 10:30 PM
The Guru

I have the different end links from the kore kit than stock and they are adjustable kind. They look the same as the site you provided. I would almost have to go to the maximum length on my end links if I dump the blocks. They are designed to use with the drop blocks. I don't know which is easier way to fix this problem.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:29 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
On my 01 I ended up using the Carli Links and not using the drop blocks as bob4x4 suggested. Never could figure a good way around it. Havent had any problems with them in the last 70+k.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:16 AM
The Guru

How much preload are you putting on the sway bar? I'm just wondering if I don't use the drop blocks, would the sway bar work as well. I'm lending towards cutting off the power gear box bearing plate and welding in a chunk of square tubing so that the sway bar can go thru unrestricted. Welding back on the plate with some extra gussets for extra support. This way I can do lots of adjusting on the end links to get the preload to where my truck can handle the sharp curves with some decent amount of speed. I have to let the porche owners see my rear bumper on the windy stuff. I see that Carli uses different shocks than Kore, do they work better on the bumpy stuff. Thanks guys, keep the ideas coming.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:40 PM

Skyjacker blocks work with mine. They are close to the c channel idea you have.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:26 PM
The Guru

Is you're guys end links longer or shorter than stock? I'm just seeing how much preload I want to put on the bar. I can't leave well enough alone I have to tweak.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:09 PM

There are some Carli shops in Canada.I think Big dog performance will be the closest.Call or stop by and see Richard or one of his guys,they can show you how it should be done.
http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/contact.html

Bob
Old 10-01-2008, 08:05 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Its been a few years but if I recall correctly the carli links were longer than stock (or could be adjusted to longer than stock). I think I set mine so that my sway bar was parallel with the frame as it was before the lift.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:32 AM
The Guru

My kore end links are longer than the stock links. The extra length of the new end links are to be used with the drop blocks, so that makes sense. If I have to I'll build my own end links so I can adjust my front end height/bar preload to the way I like it. Most 4X4 shops think that you're going out mud bogging, and they don't put that much force on the sway bar. I'm setting up my truck to do the windy curves at high speed. You need to use the sway bar to keep things straight in the tight corners. In the old days, you used to put two sway bars on front to push the G's in the curves. Today, you can buy thicker bars.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:28 AM

The sway bars purpose is not for front end height and has no preload on it in a static at rest situation. The purpose is to reduce body roll in the corners. the only adjustment needed is to have it on level ground and have the endlinks adjusted so they are the same length. A good reference is the "Chassis Engineering" book by Herb Adams
Old 10-01-2008, 10:41 AM

Mike, I have a 6" lift on my 07 and it has longer links to get away from the blocks. I know my truck is a 3rd gen but..
The ones I have the links that are made by pro comp and they are slick as you know what....
I have a DSS too and all is well. The BDS links were too cheezy so I got the Procomp ones. I just couldn't do the drop blocks, they look too sketchy!!!
I don't know if that helped you any but if you need any pictures, let me know...
Old 10-01-2008, 12:50 PM
The Guru

Jamie, how much preload is you're link putting on the sway bar? My kore links work, but there is some preload currently on the bar with them at fully retracted position. I want to adjust them for more/less sway bar preload. I want to try adjust the preload and see how the truck takes the corners. I can get everything together without the blocks, but the kore links are designed to be used with there drop blocks. I can put the DSS brace on top the blocks, but then the DSS bearing has to be put in on top of the brace to provide support. There lots of ways to get what I want, but I like to see what everyone else has set there ride up. What shocks does your ride use? I didn't get much time to see all the adjustments that you've done on your ride. Thanks bud, I guess that I have too much time to play.