Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

User of Mach EDM injectors-- please post results here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 02:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Also-- what about cold starting? My DD2s (though small) sometimes make the truck hard to start when it hits 20 or colder. Shoot, I even plugged in last night and it was STILL a little hard to start-- it took a couple cranks...

Justin
Old 01-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOHN,

Next time try to cycle the grid heaters twice.

The EDM's will help cold starting. JMO
Old 01-21-2004, 05:05 PM

I cycled them twice when I first had the cold starting issues. It didn't seem to help. I had to give it some pedal in order for it to fire. I have never had that happen before-- it always started with the pedal at idle. It's been like this since we got back from Chicago (truck sat for 10 days).

I changed the fuel filter and it seemed to go away. Then my wife cranked it over cold WITH NO INTAKE HEATING AT ALL (ignored the WTS light). It started and ran REALLY rough@ about 400rpm. I yelled at her to shut it down and restart it properly.

Since then, the hard starting has returned. Any other ideas? Why would a new fuel filter seem to make it go away the first time? They use winterized fuel here, so I don't suspect a gel up (that, and I plug it in).

jlh
Old 01-21-2004, 06:37 PM
Muted User

Wait a second, I thought my Mach 3's looked like the attachment.

No cold starting problems here. We've had the brutal cold this year & nada problemo. Obviously Dons found the perfect combination of commercial fire suppression nozzles & the Cummins injector.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:59 AM

Forrest, I think those are the Mach 22s!! I wonder if cylinder washdown is a problem with those?

I think the cold starting is a combination of the larger injectors (and the somewhat compromised atomization), the cold weather, and the high altitude (6K).

But I don't hear a lot of other CTDs in town having the startup issues.

I primarily suspect it might be all the extra fuel line I am running because of my Fitch fuel catalyst. After my Fuel filter, there's about 2ft of rubber hose to the FFC (which is a metal canister almost coffee can size), then another 2 ft from there to the VP44.

I think that the fuel is getting really cold since it rests in this metal canister AFTER the fuel filter (where the heater is). I dunno.

When I dummied my EZ (disconnected the can-bus), it didn't seem to make a difference in starting.

Justin
Old 01-22-2004, 11:09 AM

HOHN,

just a thought is that it might be the fuel. Dad just got back from Indiana and said his truck was running rough on the winter fuel fron up there. Once he got back down here it started running better.

John
Old 01-22-2004, 11:14 AM

Could be. I never had any problems running on the winterized junk before this all started. I ran it about 2.5 months with no problems.

This one has me baffled.

I am thinking that some EDMs will help out quite a bit-- on all fronts! hehe