Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Used Power Trak limited slip... should I get it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the diff went for 77 bucks on ebay, I didn't bid on this one because after throwing the other parts at it I would be out a chunk of money so I am going to wait. Now, on the other hand I have a question for all you locker junkies.

What about running a spool up front with a 2 Low kit? The way I figure, if you wanted regular 4WD you could put the T-Case in 4X and then engage the 2 Low kit. If you wanted true 4WD you could just put the T-case in 4X. I am thinking really hard about doing this, because it is so cheap and simple. wudduyou guys think?
Old 08-28-2004, 08:19 PM
DRM

For pulling a sled, right? I dunno... I just tend to think that for that kind of use, a spooled from it just asking for axle breakage unless you plan to upgrade to better shafts and joints when trying to move that sled down the track.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:06 PM

It would be for pulling a sled and for fun winter wheeling. I might end up upgrading shafts because I can't find a spool for a 30 spline carrier. I found one, but it is fore 4.5X gears and up. Plenty of 35 spliners out there but I don't know where to find shafts. At one pull this year there was a CTD there with a stupid pump and other goodies, but he ran welded diffs front and rear, rear was an 80 and front was a stock 60. It is just a battle for traction when I pull, I just can't get the sled moving without spinning my wheels off. If I find one I think I'll take the plunge and try it.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:02 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
With a spool in the front it will cause your ring and pinoin to spin in 2 wheel drive. Not to mention it will not want to turn at all in 4 wheel drive - I would not do it unless it was for a dedicated puller.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:36 PM

But see, the beauty of it is only the front left wheel will turn in 4WD with the 2 wheel low kit, and both will turn if I switch it to regular. So I can hit the switch and have regular 4WD, and if I want I can flip it back and have both locked. Only thing that's holding me back (it will be an early spring project) is I can't find a 30 spline spool.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:17 AM
Chapter President

If you are ok with your entire front driveline spinning in 2 wheel then it would work for you. The other problem with a spool in the front is that the truck wants to track in a straight line in 4 wheel even when the wheels are turned. It is a very odd feeling the truck will hop around and shimmy but still attempt to drive straight. It will turn slightly - but not much. If the truck were driven in the winter on snow covered streets in 4 wheel it would very dangerous to drive around corners - you'll be in the ditch!

As for a 30 spline spool, there is a reason why they are not offered for a D60. Spools are too hard on small axle shafts. Excessive twisting of the shafts will prematurely fatigue them to the point where they will snap. Spools greatly speed up this process.

If you are set on a spool, I think there are a couple companies that offer mini spools for a 30 spline D60 or you could just install a lincoln locker (weld up the spiders and side gears so they can't rotate). When welded properly they can be quite strong.

For a strong sled puller this D60 frontend is less than desirable. The semi floating, 30 spline, thin tubed axle with the vacuum disconnect is about as weak a D60 frontend you can get. If you push this axle hard it will fail. This is why companies like Dynatrac make 35 spline kits with hubs to get rid of the common weak spots. But they are not cheap - some guys have swapped in a F@*d 60 for alot less than the cost of these kits.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:01 AM

Thanks for the input, CTD nut. I think for now I am going to stick with a power lok out back and hold off on the front. I called Randy's Ring & Pinion today and they told me of a company that used to make them, but don't anymore. If I wanted to go to 4.56 gears i could get a spool, but I don't want to go that low! I have thought many a time in the last coupld of weeks about welding her up, but I just can't take that plunge.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:44 AM
Chapter President

Crimedog: If you are willing to put up with the side affects of being spooled up, then go for it! - Weld it up! I have welded several carriers over the years for some EXTREMELY abusive applications and they have worked fine. Don't skimp here, though. Pull the carrier and clean it well. If you can't or don't know how to weld it properly - don't bother - get someone who can. Too many guys just shoot degreaser in the housing, hope it cleans everything, borrow uncle Frank's arc welder and his 8 year old contaminated rods and hope for the best. Then these are the guys that say you can't weld up a carrier without it breaking.
Keep us posted on what you decide to do and how it performs,
Good luck.