Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Used Power Trak limited slip... should I get it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used Power Trak limited slip... should I get it?

Well, I did my 2nd sled pull tonight and I've had it with this edited for language open rear end. I can't get anywhere I just spin, I've got plenty of power but I just can't get traction. So, I can get a great deal on a used Power Lok for a Dana 70. I remember reading on here about how to restack the clutch pack so it is very tight. This is what I want but have spent a half hour looking for the thread and I can't find it for the life of me Anyone know where it is? Also, what all is involved in installing one of these? I would need to transfer my ring gear over to it, so I spose there is special set up involved? Is it something a person who isn't afraid to try something can do, or is it better off to take it to a gear shop? Also, one other question: anyone know the spline count on our rears? I think they are 35 spline but wanted to double check.

Thanks guys!

One other note if anyone is looking for new clutches for a power lok or the factory trac lok LSD, go to [url]www.tellico4x4.com[/url
Old 08-24-2004, 10:21 AM
DRM

You are talking about carrier replacement, which means pressing the bearings off the stock open carrier and on to the new one, checking shims, re-checking gear pattern and backlash just to be sure.

I would suggest you take it to a shop and have it installed by someone with the tools and experience to do it. it is not really that hard to set up gears or check the things I mentioned, pulling the bearings on and off are one of the tougher parts on an axle like that.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:20 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Power lok or trak lok? Power lok is the way to go. It has special spiders that run on cams and actually force themselves into the side gears to generate more preload on the clutch packs when more torque is applied to them. The trak lok has none of this - just a pre determined amount of pre load during assembly.

IMO, you really don't need more preload on a power lok - it will provide itself with the correct amount of preload for most situations but...........sled pulling could be the exception - I think a detroit is the best carrier for that but it stinks on the street compared to the power lok. I would try the power lok - IMO it is the strongest, most durable and best performing limited slip you can buy.

Yup, these Dana 70's are 1 1/2" 35 spline axles. Be careful with Dana 70's. Over the years there have been 3 different styles of carrier and housing combos that DO NOT interchange. If the carrier came out of a Dodge you are fine but if you cannot determine it's origin you might have to get some #'s off of it and talk to a good Dana guy to make sure it will work for your application.

I agree with DRM - go to a good shop for the carrier swap. Unless you know exactly what you are doing and are properly equipped then you should leave that job for a compotent professional. You need a good bearing press, a bearing puller, a case spreader (anybody that says you don't isn't putting enough preload on the carrier bearings), dail indicator and the knowledge of setting up the gears with the correct mesh pattern, bearing preloads and backlash. It is not something the average backyard mechanic should be doing - especially with Dana axles - they are the most difficult to install and setup gears on.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:56 PM

in 94 did the D-70 go with the auto tranny? I got a 94 5spd and was sure it said d-80 on the old hood
DM01
Old 08-24-2004, 03:06 PM
Chapter President

Yup, it's a 70 in a 94 auto - I thought it was a 70 in a stick too for the early 2500 2nd gens.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:08 PM
Chapter President

Are you front and rear diff covers the same size? 60 and 70 are the same but the 80 is a larger cover.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:09 PM

is there any difference in the price for the stock limited slip in a 70 than a 80? the one I priced for a D80 is 600 bucks
DM01
Old 08-24-2004, 04:40 PM
Chapter President

That depends. The stocker for a 70 is usually a power lok. I thought the stocker for an 80 was too but I have been told that most 80's came with a track lok. I don't know why, you would think the axle for heavier duty applications would be equipped with the heavy duty carrier. Anyway, power loks are a bit more money than track loks - but not much. It is safe to say that most factory Dana parts will be more money for the 80 than the 70 because it is a larger Axle.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:51 PM

I fugured there was all that setup involved. If I get it I will just take to a pro. BUT, he says it is a 32 spline but came out of a Dodge rear 70 I am trying to find out what year it is. Did 2nd gen 3/4 tons come with 32 spline shafts? I thought that all 2nd gen non Cummins came with 60 rear ends, but I don't know.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:51 PM

What I found wierd was that you can get a bunch of different lockers for cheaper than you can get the stock LS. and that there is no aftermarket LS Ford runs a Dand 80 right? what limited slip do they run
DM01
Old 08-24-2004, 05:10 PM
Chapter President

Crimedog:

Do you know the origin of the 70 power lok? Yes, some 70 carriers were a 1.33" 32 spline axle. This is somewhat rare and did not come from a 2nd gen CTD. I am fairly sure all 7500lb GVWR 2500's had a Dana 60 rear - this is what most gassers are. 8800lb GVWR had a 70 rear. 2500 CTD's fall into the 8800 lb GVWR.

dodgeman:

Are you sure about the pricing? You can go aftermarket for the power lok and pick one up for a fair bit less then something like a detroit locker. You are not going to beat the price of something like a lock-rite, because they are not a full carrier locker. They just replace the spider and side gears with the locker parts which is a weaker design (not something to put in a heavily bombed CTD like yours) but it is alot cheaper.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:51 PM

CDT nut
I think it was randys ring and pinion that said the only limited slip for my truck was the stock one and it was priced the cheapest at 580$
DM01
Old 08-25-2004, 08:47 AM
Chapter President

They have gone up in price I guess. I actually bought a 70 power lok from Randy's about 4 years ago for an older Chevy dually I used to have and I paid about 450 for it then but I am not sure if it was discounted or not. It may be the only limited slip for your application but it is also the best.

Id you price out a detroit?
Old 08-25-2004, 08:49 AM
Chapter President

I forgot - recently found out most 1st gen CTD's had a 32 spline rear 70 so it is possible the carrier originated from there.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought all 2nd gen's with the 70 had 32 splines?!??

Quick Reply: Used Power Trak limited slip... should I get it?