Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

upgrading tranny and injectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upgrading tranny and injectors

been reading about upgrading the tranny here lately and trying to decide what is for me. i honestly don't believe i need a fully built auto. i do not do any sled pulling or drag racing. i tow lightly and this is my daily driver. i occasionally pull stuck equipment out, but have never stressed the truck. i have an edge ez and larger exhaust. i want to know a few things to help me decide what is right for me. i want to add some injectors to go with the ez. being that i am happy with it's performance and do not want another box or something that pierced the vp-44 wire. that being said what upgrades would i have to do to make my transmission handle a little more power and tow well? my main concern is daily driving and towing. i tow a 16 ft. trailer with a gator and occasionally a small tractor. by no means anything heavy. i'd like to run an injector larger than the rv275's. what injectors should i look at that perform well with the ez? what upgrades should i do to the tranny? TC and VB, or more? i don't abuse the truck but use it when needed. also should i look into a larger turbo compressor to keep the egt's down? i think i would be happy with a solid 350 rear wheel horsepower truck that drives well and tows well. am i asking for too much? opinions are appreciate and experience is greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 07-09-2005, 06:26 AM

Is the tranny on your truck the original one? I see that you have a fair number of miles on it. Doing the Tc and VB will be good, aslong as you go through the entire tranny at the time replacing all the worn parts that are in their, clutch packs,ect. You could probably get away without doing any Billet shaft or anything like that, aslong as you dont plan on hot roding it. If you plan to do a little playing with it, i would do a billet input shaft at time of doing the tranny, then hold off on the billet output shaft. I would say that you would want to go with a Stage two injectors, there are many brands out there. Stage two injectors will net around and 80 or so hp. I am not sure what turbo the year truck you have came with, But if you have and HX 35 i think you would be alright using that for the level of power you say you are wanting to be at
Old 07-09-2005, 12:53 PM

There are a ton of opinions on what needs to be done to a tranny. Usually the more you can do the better it will perform and the longer it will last. If $$ are of the main concern you can probably get by with a good TC and VB. If you can afford it doing the complete tranny would be best. You really don't need billet parts but added clutch packs and upgraded internals go a long way holding the torque these motors produce.

As for injectors I would recommend Formula 1 Mach 1.6's. They will let you tow all day long with no turbo upgrade.

Doug
Old 07-09-2005, 02:03 PM

i have no clue about the different injector companies out there. where would i buy formula ones? and i see both of you have full dtt trannys, how much did they run? i bought the truck used and have no idea if it was the stock one. it does great with my few mods. it has me scared to put injectors in it since so many people here talk about tranny failure. i have nothing bad to say about it right now.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:29 PM

Did the person you bought the truck from ever mention anything about having the tranny rebuilt? I would say your probably looking anywhere from 3500 to 5500 hundred for a DTT trans. It all depends on what you have done to it, whether or not you want all billit parts, or if you want just upgraded Tc and Vb and clutches added to the clutch pack. From the way i see and understand you can not get a real good estimate of what it would cost to beef up your trans untill you open it up and examine the condition existing parts are in. If you do upgrade the trans, make sure you have it done right by either a authroized dealer or a very well respected shop. I have heard many horror stories about guys buying these expensive tranny parts and then having a local tranny shop install them and then a couple of weeks down the road the tranny fails on them. There are good trans companies out there, make sure you do all your research and learn as much as you can before you spend the money, do it once and do it right and dont worry about it anymore.
Another note, i think tranny failure is a directly related to the way one drives there truck, If you are hard on the throttle and race red light to red light on even a completely stock truck, trans is not going to last long. Drive your rig respectably and do proper maintenance, you can see 200+ thousand out of a stock trans
Old 07-09-2005, 04:54 PM

Smile

Originally posted by turbo dreams
where would i buy formula ones?
www.f1diesel.com

The 1.6's are not listed on the site, but you just call and request them. Those are what I am going with soon also, they are the best all around injector when towing.