Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

UpGraded Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UpGraded Transmissions

I had my trans done again.Billet TQ and a Valve body upgade for towing and everyday driving.<br>Heres what I have, 1st,2nd &amp; 3rd very positive &amp; firm shifts (maybe too Firm)4th it seems to just slip in there not letting you know like was before (stock) then overdrive come in not to hard either. Does anyone else have it this way?<br>I liked the stock 4th (neck snapping) and OD.<br>They also told me to run +3 now instead of +4.<br> I need some feed back cause I don`t think this is right.<br>It feels like too much line pressure in 1,2,3. and not enough in 4&amp; OD.<br><br> Danny
Old 12-06-2002, 08:45 PM

Re:UpGraded Transmissions

Danny, I have the DTT 89% TC and can tell you the shifts are very firm, when you get that high of % fluid cuppling it is going to be. I don't know what % your's is but I would think OD should be fairly firm too.
Old 12-06-2002, 08:55 PM

Danny,<br> Same goes for me with DTT. It's great at WOT, but in traffic it's not the greatest with the hard shifts. <br>Big dawg
Old 12-06-2002, 09:07 PM

Did you guys loose the kick in 4th &amp; OD. Not sure what its going to be like with the trailer on the back, But in 4WD last night in the snow the shifts were a little smoother.<br> Danny
Old 12-07-2002, 06:25 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Well mine shifts soft when I feather the go pedal, and firm when I say &quot;go&quot; loud enough. No necksnapping here. Shift to OD and lockup are quite firm. 1-2 is sometimes not even noticeable , 2-3 is there (under lightest of throttles) and 3-OD is firm. (OK I have to step on the go pedal to get it to the speed where OD goes in)<br>Does it slip in OD for some time till it kind of settles?<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 12-07-2002, 08:37 PM

The thing that erks me the most is I loved the hard 4 surge and now it stumbles around ,if you roll into it hard it jumps back to 3rd.<br>Can someone tell me if the pressure for 4th &amp; OD can be adjusted to my liking ??<br>I know theres a trans guy here, I remember reading his thoughts on other fluids that could be used.<br>And whats the true story on them switching me from +4 to the +3.<br> Danny
Old 12-08-2002, 02:44 AM

Well maybe we should define hard and soft shifting. My 1-2 shifts that are barely noticeable take place when I let the truck roll away from the line at about 800 -900 rpm. Firm 1-2 shifts are when I press the go to get off the line at about 1300- 1600 rpm. Very firm shifts are at about 2500+ for the 1-2 shift. But the tires take away a lot of the necksnapping then .<br>2-3 shifts are about the same as 1-2 but are more noticeable in any situation. <br>3-4 is quite firm. At WOT it's rather firm . <br>It was some work to get this right, especially setting up the tv cable and the gov. pressure sensor feed accordingly. <br>I don't know anything about your setup, but if you exchange the friction parts in an automatic tranny you will have to use the right fluid for them. And since I didn't want to try out the compatibility of any fluid with any lining I went shopping with the goal of using all stuff out of one hand and this stuff certified for the fluid I get locally. <br>Just my 2c <br><br>AlpineRAM<br>
Old 12-08-2002, 02:57 AM
BFC

If it's like a DTT set up, it won't go into lock up at up at WOT. Shift firmness is hard to quantify on the internet, soft for ya might be neck snappin' for me. Depends on the driving style too, I could get an ON/OFF switch instead of a go pedal would be the same, LOL. Call your installer, he should be able to help you.I run Amsoil Universal ATF in mine and have no complaints.(I do not run Amsoil in the engine, just in case anybody is wondering)<br><br>Glenn
Old 12-08-2002, 05:04 AM

BFC- since I've got a DTT setup (as seen in sig) I can not say that it won't go into lockup at WOT. At a typical acceleration from standstill WOT it will shift like that: 1-2 @ 2700 , 2-3 @ 3100, 3-4 @ 3200, 4 - lockup @ 2800 . <br>This is the way I like it. On dry roads it will make the tires scream all through 1 and 2, then chirp loud @2-3 and give a nice shove at 3-4. 4-lockup is a good shove and will pull on, but nothing spectacular. Have I said that I am in dire need for some injectors? ;D<br>I think the behaviour does also depend on the tire size (255/85R16 with me) and axle ratio ( 3.55 here) . I found out that changing the sub-levels on my pulse will change behaviour significantly. <br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 12-08-2002, 11:42 AM
Jrr

+4 helps with smoother shifts due to added friction modifiers. +3 doesnt slip as much IMHOP better for modified engine and tranny setup with firmer shifts and less slipping of clutches. As far as shift points and firmness of shifts all can be dialed in or tweaked by modifieing and adjusting the valve body, its impossible to explain the process over the net, but a good tranny tuner is worth his weight in gold, anyone can put a tranny together or instal one. Tuning it is a horse of a different color in most cases.