Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

update on FASS pressure #'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
update on FASS pressure #'s

well I finally got around to bypassing the stock filter housing & running the 3/8" line all the way to my VP, I got a brass "T" & put barbed fittings on 2 sides & then got an adapter to run my FP gauge (1/8" NPT) so I get it all back together & then fire it up & take it for a test run & now at idle I'm seeing 14-15psi. & I can still drag this thing down to 8psi. if I get on it with the Juice on #5???? what's the deal????? I put this dang thing on so I'd have good steady fuel pressure, & I had better fuel pressure with the stinkin pusher pump????? I was told that the stock filter housing was such a big restriction, didn't see how, but for the sake of covering all the bases on my end I figured it could only help to run the big line all the way to the pump, & now I'm right back where I started??????? any ideas on how to fix this thing before it finds a new home via ebay?????? I'd really hate to have to pull this thing back off, but I'm not sure what to do & I dang sure can't afford to buy another $600+ system that's not gonna work properly????? thanks for any info, & sorry for the ranting & long post, thanks again, Dusty
Old 11-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I remember correctly, by request from dealer/customers, the newer FASS systems put out less pressure. I think the 14/15 is what I remember, but I can't recall the WOT. Under the right conditions on a dyno, I do know that some members can suck more fuel than an after market pump can put out.

I'm sure that when Diesel-Dan sees this post, he'll jump in here.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:37 PM

thanks, I thought I'd read somewhere on here that the newer pumps had been tuned to run less pressures, but I really wish it would at least hold the pressure, my problem isn't with the 14-15psi. at idle, it's the fact that it sucks down so quickly??? just didn't think these pumps were supposed to do that??? anyway thanks for clarifying that the new pumps do in fact run less pressure than the earlier models, keep the reply's coming, I really hope theres a simple fix for this problem!!! LOL, thanks again, Dusty
Old 11-05-2006, 06:43 PM

IIRC, there are different springs that can be swapped out in the pump to control the pressures. When I first got mine, idle was 19 (although, after a long drive, I'd sometime see up to 21), cruise 17-18 and WOT was 16. Now its 17, 15, and 14 respectively. Time for a fuel filter change, methinks. This is a year old unit, don't know if that qualifies as an older model or not.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:44 PM

I asked about the springs in another thread & all I ever got out of it was the filter housing getting the blame for the low pressures, I was hoping someone could tell me where the springs were located & how/where to go about getting a different spring, I also read somewhere about stretching the spring a bit to see if it helped with the pressures??? anybody know where I need to look for the spring & how much to stretch it?? thanks alot, Dusty
Old 11-05-2006, 10:31 PM

http://www.dieselpp.com/pdfs/install...5-10051008.pdf

Page 3, it says that the PS-1001 spring is the lower pressure spring, PS-1002 is a higher (around 16 psi). I'm not sure where they are located, maybe phone up one of the vendors tomorrow if Dan doesn't reply.

On a side note, whats the difference between the 95 and 150 series pumps?
Old 11-05-2006, 11:19 PM

I don't see how the filter housing can be blamed- I see no less than 11 at wot with a oem cater pump and the vulcan kit.

Trending Topics

Old 11-06-2006, 03:23 AM
Chapter President

Call the dealer you bought it from, he can get a replacement spring from DPP (I called DPP direct as my dealer turned out to be a FLAKE, several promises about getting it sent out soon, already sent it, should get it out tomorrow - depending on who answered the phone), DPP gave me the # of another dealer, who had the spring to me in 3 days.....my problem was 23 PSI at idle, and going up to 30 at WOT (?!?!?! - can anyone explain this?!?!) the high numbers scared me!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:00 AM

I wasn’t "blaming" the Filter head for the pressure drop. I just wanted you to run the system as we designed it to be run to see if the situation still occurred. You are not hurting anything with the pressure you are running. But most of the Hot VP-44 trucks I have see only pull pressure down 1.5-2 PSI WOT. Mine hits 11.5 WOT. What we can do is try another spring. Call your dealer and ask tell them you have a wnty concern. Give them your SN. Tell them you were asked to request a new PS-1002 Spring and the “OLD” PS-1002 spring. Please excuse my memory from your last thread, did you try the 5 gallon bucket test? Can you pull it down just sitting in the driveway by revving the engine?

Originally Posted by Tate

150 Series is about 25% bigger in size. The fitlers can be bought just about anywhere. (This pic shows the older motor that is no longer used.....the motor is like the one in the 95 series pic)

95 Series is 25% than the 150 Series. The filters are proprietary, so you will need to talk to your selling dealer to get filters (If you carry an extra, isn’t a big deal). The unit is about $30 less expensive on average.

Other than that.....they do the exact same thing.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:44 PM

well, the dealer that the fass came from is now building fuel systems, so the answer I got from them was that the new fass systems are junk, said after a certain serial # that they were no good, I found this a bit hard to believe so that's why I came here with ?'s, Dan could you point me in the direction of another "good" dealer?????? I've not tried the 5 gallon bucket test, I tried the link in your sig., but it's not working, where else can I look for the test???? thanks alot & hope I can get this thing going soon, Dusty
Old 11-06-2006, 05:50 PM

No prob....ill get you pointed in the right direction....i got someone in mind that will help you......

I have the link on our web site as well. BUT the 5 gallon bucket test is simple:

Get a 5 gallon bucket of diesel (DUAH! ) and pull your suction line and return line loose from the tank and return manifold. dip both into the bucket and turn the truck on. Run to make sure its pulling fuel and pressure builds. Then try to see if you can drop your pressure as before. This test gives "Ideal" Full supply to the FASS system. This will let you know if you have an issue in the tank or on the suction line to the FASS.

Big pressure drops like you have are usually results of some form of restriction or inaccurate gauge. If you had low pressure to start with and it was erratic just at idle...i would think the pump/motor had an issue. But this is not the case. Here is what I have seen cause your issue:

Bad Pickup in the tank

Air leaking in suction line

Pinched o-ring under T-block….suction ring.

Debris in check ball in T-block…from excessive thread sealant (Tape and liquid…but this is more of an HPFP thing…not a FASS due to the water sep catches a lot of it)

Can’t really say a weak spring due to your idle pressure is good….but cant rule it out either.

Restriction before where the gauge is tapped

Gauge reading incorrectly….

Gauge Isolator leaking and sucking air….this is VERY COMMON! BUT I think you said you don’t have an isolator……..that is good! Haha…..

We will get to the bottom of this……right now you are not hurting anything thing….so we got some time to think of what we need to do……The Shop I PM’ed you is a good one…..
Old 11-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dusty Ratcliff
well, the dealer that the fass came from is now building fuel systems, so the answer I got from them was that the new fass systems are junk,
Amazing! I bet they were not calling it junk when they were taking your money! I'd like to know who they are so I can make sure I never spend a penny with them.

Now, with that said. My FASS is still the best and most dependable upgrade I've made.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:47 AM

you can bet the FASS was the best thing since sliced bread when they were selling the products, but like I said since they started building their own setup, they aren't much help at all with the FASS systems they sold prior to the change!! it's a little irritating dealing with that sort of thing!! but oh well, we'll get it straightened out & Dan I got your PM, thanks alot & when the rain stops here I'll give the 5 gallon bucket test a try & see where we're at afterwards. thanks abunch to all of you! Dusty
Old 11-07-2006, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tate
http://www.dieselpp.com/pdfs/install...5-10051008.pdf

Page 3, it says that the PS-1001 spring is the lower pressure spring, PS-1002 is a higher (around 16 psi). I'm not sure where they are located, maybe phone up one of the vendors tomorrow if Dan doesn't reply.

ALSO....this is somewhat antiquated......i would not run a PS-1001 spring in a Dodge application. When i tried one in my truck...i got 8 PSI idle. We have sence changed our PS-1002 spring to run at about 13-14 PSI. We feel this is just fine. Our old PS-1002 spring was 19-21 PSI......