Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Unplugging the Map with a comp

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by duke1n
Why in the heck do people not understand this. You drive around smoking the crap out of people and it will be short lived. The only problem with this hobby and the reason it will be short lived is it is chalked full of brain dead rednecks that can't see beyond the tip of their nose. I'm sorry when I read posts like this I just have to wonder why people are so stupid. You want to have to sell the truck, put it back to stock, or worse yet drive some freaking battery powered hybrid? Keep doing chit like this and it's just a matter of time. It doesn't matter what I think or any of you think. We live in a culture of granola headed, PC, hippies, that WILL make a big enough stink about this that you won't be able to have that hotrod diesel anymore. Use your freaking brains people and don't shoot yourselves in the foot as seems to be such the popular rage these days.
I'm gonna have to agree, from time to time mine will let out a puff that will completly block out the cars behind me but as soon as I realize whats happining I will adjust my foot a bit. I LOVE I mean LOVE hazing the cars behind me when required however I have enough smarts most of the time to realize that doing this IS going to set off a chain reaction somday that is just going to slam us all hard.
Lets say I'm crusing through SLC for instance getting on the freeway or changing lanes and I'm blowing out a black cloud on the following cars, well one of those cars may have a Siera club member or even a senator and it ticks him off enough he starts the ball rolling.
Hope that made sense.
I drive with my Comp box on 5x1 or 2 to keep the smoke down.

Dan
Old 11-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Banned

I'm sorry I don't mean to start a fight in the family but as a group we have got to be aware of outside perceptions. I too have smoked a car or two and if you are right on my bumper I would smoke you too. On the other hand the more I think about it the more I realize that I like driving a fast truck a lot more than I like smoking people. I would be perfectly happy if my truck made zero smoke. It's not the smoke that I enjoy... it's getting your head pinned on the headrest as I pull away from some sports car and know they are thinking *** was that lol. Sorry for the rant just think about it the next time you feel like belching a big cloud on an unsuspecting group of cars behind you. It will put an end to the fun for all of us sooner than you think if we keep it up.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:07 PM

Thats why I was thinking of putting a switch on it. SO if some wants to tailgate or is driving like a moron behind me, all I have to do is flip a switch.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:05 PM

Can you do this with a Van Aaken? Just got a used one and the MAP connections are wrong.

This sucks.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Banned

I'm glad some folks are wakin up finally on this smoke stuff. I put my own little rant on here a year or more ago about drag racing on the streets and smoke and it went almost totally ignored. I like speed and smoke but if you want to keep it, you gotta keep in mind "right time, right place" and everyday driving around town isn't it. Alot of the average population out there would love to see the biggest Diesel personal automobile on the road be a VW Rabbit and right now it wouldn't take much convincing to make it happen.

When somebody smarter than me builds this switch I wanna be first in line to buy one.

Last edited by 99 cummins; 11-10-2005 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Added portion
Old 11-10-2005, 05:59 PM

Hey guys what codes do you throw with the map unplugged? i am throwing a 0236(Map Sensor Too High Too Long) and 1692(Turbo Control Solenoid Circuit Malfunction) Are these normal with the Map unplugged? Before I installed the comp i wasnt throwing any. The truck runs great, just wondering what codes yall are throwing. Jamie
Old 11-10-2005, 06:12 PM

I unplugged mine and I didnt notice the throttle responce or the low end power, in fact it seemed worse, Maybe its cause I have an auto. I did notice the smoke though.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by JmeHatt
Hey guys what codes do you throw with the map unplugged? i am throwing a 0236(Map Sensor Too High Too Long) and 1692(Turbo Control Solenoid Circuit Malfunction) Are these normal with the Map unplugged? Before I installed the comp i wasnt throwing any. The truck runs great, just wondering what codes yall are throwing. Jamie
when i unpluged mine it didn't thow any codes, try cleaning your connections, do you get this code with the map pluged in? im not trying to call you stupid, but do you have the factory harness pluged into the comp but the comp unpluged from the sensor?

I agree with every one else about not smoking for around town driving, I love smoke. Just use it for play and those pesky tailgaters, but not every one all the time. When i drive around in the city i only use level 1x1 on the comp.

If you find the 5v supply to the sensor from the comp and splice into it with an on-off switch, that should do it.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:11 AM

I just unplugged the map sensor from the block. I have the factory harness pluged into the comp.I am going to plug the map back in and see if i still get the codes. Jamie
Old 11-11-2005, 08:23 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JmeHatt
I just unplugged the map sensor from the block. I have the factory harness pluged into the comp.I am going to plug the map back in and see if i still get the codes. Jamie
Don't forget to clear the existing codes before you plug the MAP back in.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by zukgod1
Lets say I'm crusing through SLC for instance getting on the freeway or changing lanes and I'm blowing out a black cloud on the following cars, well one of those cars may have a Siera club member or even a senator and it ticks him off enough he starts the ball rolling.
Hope that made sense.
I drive with my Comp box on 5x1 or 2 to keep the smoke down.

Dan

Now you see the main reason for electronic engine control. The big trucks (semi, coach, etc) would be cranked up without mufflers and such causing them to smoke like a freight train. They puffed enough smoke on the wrong cars (congress, senators, etc) and the government took action. The same will happen here if its not controlled. I'm going to the University of Northwestern Ohio looking for my 4 year in diesel.. so I know some of the "underground" and the problems going on that we will have to face in the future. At this rate, things are looking VERY grim unless it can be straightened up soon. I'll also now get off my soap box

The switch should be VERY easy to make as all you need to do is kill the power wire and the entire thing will shut down. Might even have to try that on the old mans truck (99cummins) when he isn't looking
Old 11-16-2005, 11:19 PM

Any body know which wire on the harness to splice a switch into? Or does it matter which one?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:15 AM
Banned

im throwing codes too...0236 and got a check engine light on monday for about 4 hours then it went away.

i am going to plug mine back in tonight when i go to the parts place and get the codes cleared. then change my tranny fluid and get ready to go on my vacation next week!!!
Old 11-17-2005, 12:41 PM
Banned

I've been running with mine off for 2 weeks now and so far no codes or check engine light. The power down low is great. It really makes pulling the work trailer through town easier. Mileage hasn't been affected either which is also very nice.