Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Unplugging the Map with a comp

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 02:39 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlue
CTD NUT, I wonder if the factory ECM defuels on the bottom end with the 5spd. If it doesn't, then that could explain why your not noticing as big a gain.

zukgod1, I wonder if your tighter TC makes a difference?
Oh yeah, the 5 spd ECM has the same hideous off-idle defueling that you are familiar with!
Old 11-03-2005, 02:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Not with a Catcher
Old 11-03-2005, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well yall did it to me! You made me do it after reading this thread. I was going to settle for a cheaper box but today i had to order the Edge Comp and i got a good deal on the box too. So soon i will be having as much fun as yall are having. Can't wait to be smoking like a train. Thanks again for making me spend more money! Jamie
Old 11-03-2005, 04:00 PM

Does the wire have to be tapped to get these results or can you get the same untapped?
Old 11-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Banned

I don't know if the wire has to be tapped or not. Only one way to find out I guess. I just unplugged my roommates map and we didn't notice much of a difference. Lots more smoke but not much bottom end. His is an 01 HO 6spd with mach 1.5's and a drag comp. Dynoed 401hp.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:39 PM

it does the same with an ez as the comp, maybe a little less smoke, but basically the same results, never tried it with a comp & no wire tap, but I would imagine it should do the same as the ez. I also have only done this to 5 & 6 spd. trucks, don't know about the results of doing it with an auto??
Old 11-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Banned

i did it tongiht with my 6spd...same as everyone else, LOTS of smoke, no codes or check engine lights, and maybe a little kick in the pants when you first touch the throttle but its a little harder to drive smokeless with it unplugged.

i love that in neutral or with the clutch pushed in, you can rev it from idle and a big long puff just comes barrelling out. will be fun to mess with some guys in parking lots with that. but i think for the street i will leave it plugged in as i do not wanna smoke too much and get pulled over by The Man in Blue
Old 11-03-2005, 11:42 PM

It would be nice to make up a little harness with a switch on it so you could do it from the cab.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by bentwings
It would be nice to make up a little harness with a switch on it so you could do it from the cab.

Originally Posted by SuperDave4x4
That is exactly what I have thought about doing, putting a switch on it. Now If I feel like being a jerk all I have to do is flip the switch.
Great minds think alike.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:24 PM

The unplug mod does produce more bottom end on my truck. It also kicks the 236 code (map sensor to high to long). Will this hurt anything? If not I believe Ill leave it unplugged for a while.

Mooseman
Old 11-09-2005, 08:54 PM

Anyone notice how different the engine sounds at low rpms? Mine sounds alot different. Also I have a noise that sounds like the engine is missing on the freeway, about 1900 rpm in 5th gear, when I put a slight load on the motor. Anyway with the comp unplugged the noise is all but gone. Maybe I have a bad map sensor. Definately has more smoke.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:04 PM

Just installed my Edge Comp today. Never even plugged in the Map Sensor. Does it Smoke? Yes! Am i happy? Yes! It really woke the truck up. Very fun to drive now. Althought i am not sure how it will improve fuel mileage? Cant seem to keep my foot out of ithe gas!.......................Jamie
Old 11-10-2005, 08:45 AM

[QUOTE= Cant seem to keep my foot out of ithe gas!.......................Jamie[/QUOTE]

Ummm, Gas?
Old 11-10-2005, 09:02 AM

Okay, I had to try it, my Comp is un-tapped and with unplugging the map the power now comes on smoother and the throttle response is definatley improved, but the greatest part of all is the pretty cloud I get when hittin it from a dead stop I even get some smoke from roll if im low enough in the rpms, thanks for the tip it definatley works.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99purplecummins
as i told tyler, keep the smoke down or you won't be able to do it in the future. they have restriced the big rigs and we are next.

remember we are like muscle cars of the 60's. the EPA killed them and they can kill these trucks just as quick
Why in the heck do people not understand this. You drive around smoking the crap out of people and it will be short lived. The only problem with this hobby and the reason it will be short lived is it is chalked full of brain dead rednecks that can't see beyond the tip of their nose. I'm sorry when I read posts like this I just have to wonder why people are so stupid. You want to have to sell the truck, put it back to stock, or worse yet drive some freaking battery powered hybrid? Keep doing chit like this and it's just a matter of time. It doesn't matter what I think or any of you think. We live in a culture of granola headed, PC, hippies, that WILL make a big enough stink about this that you won't be able to have that hotrod diesel anymore. Use your freaking brains people and don't shoot yourselves in the foot as seems to be such the popular rage these days.

Quick Reply: Unplugging the Map with a comp