Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Unplugging the Map with a comp

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dusty Ratcliff
p.s. blackdiesel, I see you're still enjoying urs unplugged

you got that right! LOL! i owe my knowledge about this to you. Cause your the one that told me about it.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:42 AM

Interesting post.
I inadvertantly caused this mod to happen a couple years back.
I loaned out my drag comp then re-installed; harness and all.
Then a couple of days later, I noticed the bottom end of the truck (99) was a whole lot better!
A bunch more smoke to boot!

Well, when I re-installed the comp, I didnt secure the harness and some how the harness got tangled in the steering shaft and yanked wires out of the MAP sensor connection!!

Low and behold MORE POWER on the bottom end!!!

I even had some white smoke!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:01 AM
Registered

whoa, weird. none the less, it's proven to be an awesome accident.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:23 AM
Banned

i may do this, but i dont need any more smoke, with my lil hx35, the DD3's and edge comp it smokes enough...but i may pull the plug every now and then to give some off idle smoke when sitting in a parking lot showing off for my buddies!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:31 AM

I have a Catcher and tried unplugging the comp from the sensor and had mixed results. The HUGE cloud of smoke was great. I have never seen that much smoke from stock injectors! But off the line was horrible, it seemed to just have too much fuel and be a dog. I plugged mine back in and am much happier with the drive ability.

ADAM
Old 11-03-2005, 08:34 AM

I'm goning to have to try a couple tests to see if this really helps, I read through this thread last night ran right out and unpluged that sucka. Holly crap the cars behind me just plain disapear. However I'm not sure about the power diferance. I'm going to go to a test area I use once in a while do some mild take offs with it pluged and unpluged cause of right now all I see is smoke.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:38 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok, I can't stand it any longer! I'm going to try this for myself.....if it works out well for me, I might put the MAP on a switch so I can turn the MAP on or off as required. For the most part, I cannot and don't want to drive around barfing out huge clouds of black smoke but when I need some serious off idle fueling......well, that is a different story!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Chapter President

Just out of curiousity, has anybody unplugged the MAP with an EZ? Do you see similar low end fueling gains as with the Comp?
Old 11-03-2005, 10:41 AM

With the EZ, you'll get problems, I think.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
Ok, I can't stand it any longer! I'm going to try this for myself.....if it works out well for me, I might put the MAP on a switch so I can turn the MAP on or off as required. For the most part, I cannot and don't want to drive around barfing out huge clouds of black smoke but when I need some serious off idle fueling......well, that is a different story!

That is exactly what I have thought about doing, putting a switch on it. Now If I feel like being a jerk all I have to do is flip the switch.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Chapter President

Well, I tried unplugging the MAP and was surprised at just how little the off-idle fueling changed. It smokes a bit more down low but not a HUGE amount more. I notice only a small off-idle fueling gain even on 5x5. I disconnected the Comp and ran the truck and checked for a MAP DTC but it was clean. I reconnected the Comp and the truck runs great. I'm not sure why I had such a small change in off-idle fueling with the MAP disconnected.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Banned

Hmm. This is interesting. I would assume that everyone would have similar results but I guess not.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
Well, I tried unplugging the MAP and was surprised at just how little the off-idle fueling changed. It smokes a bit more down low but not a HUGE amount more. I notice only a small off-idle fueling gain even on 5x5. I disconnected the Comp and ran the truck and checked for a MAP DTC but it was clean. I reconnected the Comp and the truck runs great. I'm not sure why I had such a small change in off-idle fueling with the MAP disconnected.

Same results I had. I was hoping for more after reading BigBlue's post as our trucks look to be set up somewhat the same.
I'll be pluggin it back in on the way home tonight and later this weekend I'll do a few tests as mentioned earlier.

Dan
Old 11-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Banned

CTD NUT, I wonder if the factory ECM defuels on the bottom end with the 5spd. If it doesn't, then that could explain why your not noticing as big a gain.

zukgod1, I wonder if your tighter TC makes a difference?
Old 11-03-2005, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
CTD NUT, I wonder if the factory ECM defuels on the bottom end with the 5spd. If it doesn't, then that could explain why your not noticing as big a gain.

zukgod1, I wonder if your tighter TC makes a difference?

That could be, it sure smokes ALLOT with it unpluged.
This new converter is really tight so thats a real posability.
I was hoping for some no defuel @ shifts to but I dont think thats happening.

Dan

Quick Reply: Unplugging the Map with a comp