Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Underhood Fuel Pressure Guage

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Underhood Fuel Pressure Guage

I just bought a mechanical fuel pressue gauge for my truck. I don't want to use an isolator after reading about the problems of failures. My question is ,if I don't want to run the fuel line into my cab ,can I mount the gauge underhood. That way every fuel up I could lift my hood at idle and check fuel pressue. If I get a baseline reading of10-14 psi and check it weekly to see if it's still maintaining pressue ,why do I need to check it at WOT. That way I don't have to worry about a diesel leak in the cab. Anyone done it this way?
Old 11-19-2004, 03:12 PM

many will chime in to say they have never experienced a leak when running the fuel pressure line in the cab. and the same goes for me, I have never experienced any sort of leak or smell of diesel with mine! I say go for it and don't worry.

pressure at idle is a good thing to check, but if you could ride in my truck you would notice that at idle it's a rock solid 14psi but as soon as I pin the fun pedal it quickly goes down to 5psi and sometimes lower...but I do have large injectors and a comp box.

so with the pressure guage under the hood you will be able to see if the pump is alive but it will not tell you what might be happening on the road. its your call.

Pat
Old 11-19-2004, 03:31 PM
Banned

Idle is not where you need to worry about the pressure. It's cruising and WOT because that's where the VP44 injection pump is working it's hardest. I've had a fuel line in my cab for almost a year now with no leaks what so ever. I actually just got done removing it and reinstalling it cause I installed a new gauge in my pod. Those things seal up real nicely.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:09 PM

Is it alright if I plumb the gauge prefilter as long as I change the filter every 15,000 miles. I am worried if I go post filter I might get some contamination into the system. Also when I install the gauge, before I hook up the tubing to the gauge should I "bump" the the starter to get the lift pump to flow and push all the air out of the tube going to the gauge or will it just purge it self over time.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:37 PM
Banned

Pretty much everyone goes post filter without a problem. The gauge will purge itself over time.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:44 PM

Under hood guage

On my fuel guage read at idle it goes a steady 12psi. When I throttle up normally it goes to 3psi and when you go to heavy to full WOT it goes to 0 psi. This is why you need to get it inside the cab where you can see what is going on and to keep your injector pump healthy.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:57 PM

Once I get my gauges I will put it in the cab. I work on aircraft and all the gauges have fluid lines right to the gauge (Oil, Avgas, Jet A, Turbine Oil). If there is a leak you just fix it. I have never heard of a line coming right apart it is all ways just a drip or two. I have seen a brand new gauge fill up with fuel and it never leaked. If you are realy concered I would just install a valve at the engine and if you ever had a problem just pull over and turn it off. KISS for all systems when ever posible.
KISS=Keep it simple stupid
Good luck and let me know how it turns out

Trending Topics

Old 11-19-2004, 10:33 PM

Re: Under hood guage

Originally posted by Rain Man
On my fuel guage read at idle it goes a steady 12psi. When I throttle up normally it goes to 3psi and when you go to heavy to full WOT it goes to 0 psi. This is why you need to get it inside the cab where you can see what is going on and to keep your injector pump healthy.
You need a new lift pump bud....0 psi isnt acceptable.