Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Twins without o-rings??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to bump this up to the top and see if any new info is available yet on the new head gasket.
Joe
Old 02-11-2007, 05:14 PM

I haven't checked,work takes me away from all my play. I will try to call them tomorrow, they told me feb. and it is close to the middle of the month.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:21 PM

I hope it is made something like the 3rd gen. They seem to be more forgiving. I have popped 2 headgaskets and the fun in changing them ran out long ago.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Back on topic, here.

O-rings are NOT necessary with twins. Period. But they probably are a very good idea.

The concept of "necessary" means different things to people, hence the disagreements. I mean, is air conditioning necessary in a daily driver? I suspect residents of Alabama might differ in their answer from those in Alberta, eh?

So the "necessity" of O-ringing has to do with the power levels, timing levels, and turbo selections you've decided to run.

The most important factor in HG longevity is timing, because timing affects cylinder pressure in a dramatic fashion.

But there are other factors to cylinder pressure. PEAK cylinder pressure is what pops gaskets. AVERAGE cylinder pressure is what makes torque. So, you simply want the most of one you can get without pushing the other too high.

In English, this means timing retard as boost comes up. But not just boost-- air mass in the cylinder is really what you're concerned with.

Mixture density also affects optimum cylinder timing. The more overfueled you are, the more excessive timing you can get away with because the burn happens so much slower.

You'll notice that my two points above seem to run contrary to each other. While both are true, the reality is that you have to strike a balance between them. Richer mixtures need/want more timing, but they also tend to bring boost up, and higher boost levels want LESS timing.

In the end, they almost cancel each other out, unless you are talking about the fringes of the operating ranges.

If you have to err on either side of the timing issue, too little is better. You can make it up with a little more boost. All you lose is a little MPG perhaps. If you run too much timing, then you've got bigger problems.

I personally wouldn't feel it necessary to O-ring if I had ARPs unless I was shooting for 550+horsepower.

JMO
Old 02-12-2007, 05:59 PM

Wel Cometic emailed me and said they are still retooling it will be another month at least till production gaskets are available for our trucks.
Joe
Old 02-12-2007, 06:59 PM
BCB

ok say this gasket does come out... how much PSI should it hold... will it be close or better then Orings???
Old 02-12-2007, 07:24 PM

Thanks for checking on this, I called them to late to get ahold of a technician today. He is suppose to call me back tomorrow.
Just guessing but it ought to hold as good as the cr gasket or better with studs holding it down. I am still going this way to avoid the hassles of oringing and getting the head to seat properly. I had a bad experience on my 12 valve with oring and it's to far in to fight it.
I'm thinking with twins the back pressure won't be as bad as a single and be a little easier on the gasket. I've been running up to 65 psi on the twelve valve with 19.5 degrees of timing without any problems yet. I think HOHN is on the money with peak pressure spikes but good head seal comes with good machine work and torqueing procedures.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:59 AM

guys im running a custom set of twins on my truck and im building over 60 lbs of boost. not sure how much but im burying a 60 lb gauge in third gear. my head gasket blew yesterday, and i got arp studs and a stock head gasket on the way. what else do i need to hold this much boost. im saving money for a external wastegate so i can turn the boost down a bit. do i need fire rings or anything like that?
Old 03-23-2007, 01:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, if you're gonna take the time to o-ring it, FIRE RING IT!!!! Wish I had've.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by blacknchrome
guys im running a custom set of twins on my truck and im building over 60 lbs of boost. not sure how much but im burying a 60 lb gauge in third gear. my head gasket blew yesterday, and i got arp studs and a stock head gasket on the way. what else do i need to hold this much boost. im saving money for a external wastegate so i can turn the boost down a bit. do i need fire rings or anything like that?

You better O ring it ! You can fire ring instead,i preffer the o ring for a street truck,but both will work,the fire ring can hold more ultimately as long as it is installed perfectly.It is very easy to make a mistake with both of them,the cut depth and location is critical,go with a trusted vendor here,or someone who comes recommended and has done many that hold up.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i ran my truck for 20,000 miles with twins but mine has a wastegate on the bottom charger. but i saw 50+ boost many times before seeing some steam come out from under the hood on my way to dodge to get a new cup holder bracket and there went my head gasket.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Banned

I popped the gasket with twins at 50psi w/ studs. It'll hold for a good while, but o-rings are nice
Old 03-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBlue
My stocker is holding 48psi with stock bolts and has been for about a year or two. Knock on wood though.
famous last words...
Old 03-23-2007, 11:16 PM
BCB

any info on the gasket?
Old 03-24-2007, 01:05 AM
Banned

I have dual gates set at 50 psi max for a year and a half. All stock gasket no studs and 234,000 miles. Thinking about going to a 66 though..

Quick Reply: Twins without o-rings??