Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Twins without o-rings??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the head planed and put a stock gasket with studs on my 12v. It hits 65 quite a bit of the time without any problems except blown boots on the piping. If you can wait cometic is coming out with a multilayer gasket in feb. that ought to fix the head gasket problems without oringing.
From what I have read they fix alot of problems with blown gaskets on alot of different motors that have problems. I plan on trying one on the 24v we are putting twins on as soon as they have one available.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Registered

whoa, need more info on the new gasket!
Old 01-14-2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by blackdiesel
whoa, need more info on the new gasket!
I second that.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by blackdiesel
well say you blocked off you waste gate, and was running 45 psi of boost with a hx35, you would have 45 psi of HOT THIN air, well a set of twins gated at 45 psi, is still 45 psi of air but it is denser, cooler and alot more volume. so all that extra air makes more cyl. pressure, more drive pressure, more HP and more pontential to blow the head gasket
Taking into consideration that he said in his post he has twins,and will be dumping a lot of boost,I highly doubt drive pressures will be a contributing factor to blowing a gasket.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:01 PM

The website is www.cometic.com, they don't give any info on the cummins gasket though. I called them and was told they are in development now and the first ones should be out for testing in mid January. If all goes well they will be available by mid Febuary to the public.
Everything I have heard about them in other types of engines sounds promising. As soon as I can get my hands on one it will go in my 01 with a set of twins and mach 6 injectors with a drag comp for now. I put my name in the pot to get one of the test gaskets but don't know whether that will happen.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:39 PM

yeah i want to see those gaskets they sound like a great idea
Old 01-14-2007, 09:31 PM

That would be excelent. O-rings and twins are 2 things id like to avoid but maybe I can atleast avoid one of them!
Old 01-14-2007, 10:49 PM
BCB

i JUST finished my twins today and now i am really gonna need to do something about this head so i hope this gasket is what its cracked up to be.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Banned

If you can wait cometic is coming out with a multilayer gasket in feb
When inquiring about this as late as the end of the last year,They-Cometic,passed on to us that they did not have the machinery to make a multi layered gasket for a inline six,no matter if the motor was gas or diesel.The costs they related to us was over 250k just for the machine and they didn't feel they could make enough to cover the inital setup costs to make them cost efficent for us.

What I do not understand after is how you,gwhammy,feel you have more yank to get the info before even ANY of the major diesel shops would and not even a mention at SEMA or PRI about the new gaskets for the Cummins motors.They,Cometic,were attempting to do a split head gasket for us and had no luck in maintaining the pressures when the gasket was a two piece.

We all know Cometic has been making the gaskets for the Powerstrokes and Duramaxes,but then again,since they are a V-8 they have the ability to do that.Cometic has a great product and for the Dirt racers they have saved them huge amounts of cost since the gaskets are reusable and most of all the SS/A-SS/AA Hemi guys also use them for that reason also.It would be nice to have them but realistically how much would they save us over the existing gaskets?.

There are guys out there who run big boost with what is already available and have no issues.IF you think that just the meare use of the Cometic gasket is a cure all for failures then you are truely mistaken......Andy

BTW...Hello to to John D.Its nice to see the owner of the most powerful snowplow truck is still around!.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:27 AM

I just talked to them last week and was told they are in the development part right now. I don't have any YANK on anything, I just left my name and number with the guy I was talking to and told him what I was building in a 24v, he said they would put several sets out for testing. Some will be dyno only and some will be real world work type trucks like mine.
All I can pass along is what I was told by a cometic representative I talked to, maybe he was filling me full of it I don't know but I will call them tomorrow to try to find out more info.
I know just a gasket is not going to cure all of the problems we have with these motors, but with a good head plane and proper torqueing this type gasket will be as good as oringing.
I don't think they will save any money over the other setups except for not having to find someone that can oring or firering a head and have to go threw the torque sequences to get it to hold.
Again, all I can do is pass along what I was told if it is wrong I apoligize for the info, I try to pass along stuff I have learned to maybe save someone from going threw the mistakes I have made along the way. Sorry to have ruffled your feathers!
Old 01-16-2007, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by gwhammy
I just talked to them last week and was told they are in the development part right now. I don't have any YANK on anything, I just left my name and number with the guy I was talking to and told him what I was building in a 24v, he said they would put several sets out for testing. Some will be dyno only and some will be real world work type trucks like mine.
All I can pass along is what I was told by a cometic representative I talked to, maybe he was filling me full of it I don't know but I will call them tomorrow to try to find out more info.
I know just a gasket is not going to cure all of the problems we have with these motors, but with a good head plane and proper torqueing this type gasket will be as good as oringing.
I don't think they will save any money over the other setups except for not having to find someone that can oring or firering a head and have to go threw the torque sequences to get it to hold.
Again, all I can do is pass along what I was told if it is wrong I apoligize for the info, I try to pass along stuff I have learned to maybe save someone from going threw the mistakes I have made along the way. Sorry to have ruffled your feathers!

I'm sure the rest of us apprciate the heads up and any info you can offer. I certinally do. Not all of us need or want O-rings. Just a little extra insurance.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:40 AM

I just got off of the phone with a cometic tech and here is what I learned.

They have bought the equipment to make the long gasket.

It is still in the design phase and has not been made yet.

They are still looking at a Febuary release date for the gasket.

They have all the testing lined up so I didn't have enough YANK to get in on the bottom floor.

I was told to keep calling back to get the exact release date.

They are going to concentrate on the 12 and 24v and are not doing anything with the cr motor right now.

This is all the info I got from calling them a few minutes ago and I am pretty sure it is accurate but you can call them yourself HAMMER if you don't trust what I have said. The number for tech is 1-440-354-0777
Old 01-16-2007, 08:58 AM

well i am running 58#s on the stock gasket, stock bolts but it only has 157k on it. i only set the timing at 18 to try to make it live a bit.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see on cometic's web site they have a gasket system using gas-filled steel rings.. Im assuming thats what you were all talking about. Cant find an application for the cummins on the list, maybe they ditched the idea after all?
Old 01-16-2007, 12:20 PM

It's not in production yet, they are still in design. I will call them the first of the month and get an update then.
I'm running 65 on a stock fresh gasket with studs and a fresh cut head. It's holding for now.

Quick Reply: Twins without o-rings??