Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Twins vs Single...again

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Twins vs Single...again

I currently have a HX-40 on the truck and a S400 sitting at home for my future twin setup. My question is, how would this setup do for towing compared to say a HTT 62 or 64? I really want to do the twins, but financially, it's gonna be a long time before I can do it. I was thinking about selling or trading my two turbos for a new or hardly used HTT 62 or 64, and using the rest of the money for injectors and to go towards a new trans. I've heard great things about the HTT series turbos, but which would be better for occational towing and frequent "playing"? BTW: I'll most likely be running a set of 150hp injectors and switching to stacks when I get home. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought the HTB2 62/12 and I plan on running the DDP 95 HP injectors. I have done some research, and found that this will be the best tow setup that should work for me. It will also be good for playing.
Also, with the HTB2, it is upgradeable for WAY cheaper than buying a new turbo. It can also be used for a twins setup down the road.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:38 PM
The Guru

Stick with your twins. You'll have a sweet set-up. Talk to Rip for your down pipe and your cold air kit as it should be around the 1k mark. I would run a 130 to 150 rwhp size injector for towing. Your coolant temp might be the issue at that point. Mine towed nice just running a set of BD155. It build boost slower than a smaller set but your moving its sweet. I've killed lots of trucks pulling hills with this combo and still have power to pass cars on the flats. You will have some soot build up on your trailer running injectors that big but its not that bad.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:20 PM

You just need to go to stacks to get the smoke up over the trailer!
Old 11-19-2006, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Stick with your twins. You'll have a sweet set-up. Talk to Rip for your down pipe and your cold air kit as it should be around the 1k mark. I would run a 130 to 150 rwhp size injector for towing. Your coolant temp might be the issue at that point. Mine towed nice just running a set of BD155. It build boost slower than a smaller set but your moving its sweet. I've killed lots of trucks pulling hills with this combo and still have power to pass cars on the flats. You will have some soot build up on your trailer running injectors that big but its not that bad.

I went to his site and calculated all the stuff I would need to finish the setup and the price is still gonna be over 2k, and that's not including all the testing and tuning and headwork. I don't have that kinda money right now and was just thinking about a large single and a good set of injectors, then save the rest of the money for the trans (I'm really starting to hate the trans in these trucks).
Old 11-19-2006, 01:57 AM

Talk to Doug (Jetpilot) at PDW. I got a quote from him for $2k for everything I'd need for twins except for the two turbos, and the exhaust manifold. Piers was the same way.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:26 AM

Thanks Tate, but he emailed me yesterday. I'm talking to him now about the rest of the parts. Still not for sure about the twins though. I love the idea, but there is alot of other things I need to do to get the truck ready for them. What is the best way to setup the individual boost pressures for the twins? I was thinking of using a manual boost controller and just opening both of the controllers all the way and turning one turbo up to about half of the psi I want then making up the difference with the other one. Does this sound like it would work?
Old 11-19-2006, 11:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The best way to WG twins is with an exteral WG. A 38mm is most common and will support just about any setup. Then I'd use a manual in-cab boost controller.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by 95ram
The best way to WG twins is with an exteral WG. A 38mm is most common and will support just about any setup. Then I'd use a manual in-cab boost controller.
Can you use an external wastegate on a turbo that has an internal one? If so, where do you place the external and do you use one for each turbo?
Old 11-21-2006, 07:36 PM
The Guru

My twins use the internal HX-40 wastegated that's set to 24psi. There are two adjustable pop-off valves on the discharge of the HX-40 that I've set to 65psi. Other than that I have enough boost leaks to leave a pretty safe margin so I don't pop a head gasket. 60psi of boost is enough to clear up my exhaust so why go higher.