Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

twins versus singles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ratsun
RJ
What top charger do you have in the set?
My top charger is the stock 35 and I wonder what HP your top one would suport by itself? Chances are the same as the 35? Where I'm going with this is to support the hp they were designed for, most chargers will be close in spool-up when compared evenly?
The BD Super B is not even close to the HX35 in cooling ability, IMHO!!

I ran one on my 95 for a couple months...it handle 362hp like my stocker handled 218hp. It would eventlually make it to 1500*, but took all the way to 115mph to get there...the 35 would be at 1500*+ from 80-105, and didn't pull hard enugh to make it to 115! Spoolup was a bit slower, but it pulled so much better than the 35 I didn't care. I could tow 35K with it, and never have to back off at 254hp (valet switch). The stocker would only handle 218 before temps were over 1300* on a long pull!

The Super B was also working with 370's and 181's, before I blew up the stocker I was running 300's and 181's!

Just my experience...I'm going to try the Super B again now, and see how it does wit the 95 setup for towing only. The 62mm S300 takes a little more fuel to "keep on top of" than I'd like!

Chris
Old 08-04-2006, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bart Timothy
There are two things which I don't understand. One is, why, on earth, you would want a turbo which doesn't spool fast? And the other is, how are you able to tow with a SPS66 and not have surging problems? You foot must be jammed into the floorboard and rpm redlined 100% of the time, or the truck is just idleing and doing no work at all.
Hello Bart, long time no talk...

I kind of have to agree with you. My buddy has a SP66 and it surges like crazy. Once the truck shifts into OD and the boost steadily climbs to 18 PSI there is a huge swing from 18 to 30 and there is no way to pull out it. you simply have to grab 3rd and mat the peddle. (Scary high EGT's!! )

Bart, the truck pulls are in Tremonton this Saturday (August 5th 6:00 PM)

Are you going to come?
Old 08-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by justinp20012500
Hello Bart, long time no talk...

I kind of have to agree with you. My buddy has a SP66 and it surges like crazy. Once the truck shifts into OD and the boost steadily climbs to 18 PSI there is a huge swing from 18 to 30 and there is no way to pull out it. you simply have to grab 3rd and mat the peddle. (Scary high EGT's!! )

Bart, the truck pulls are in Tremonton this Saturday (August 5th 6:00 PM)

Are you going to come?
You guys don't realize there is alot more to a turbo than just boltin it in. There are alot of factors that can effect surging and so on.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There are two things which I don't understand. One is, why, on earth, you would want a turbo which doesn't spool fast? And the other is, how are you able to tow with a SPS66 and not have surging problems? You foot must be jammed into the floorboard and rpm redlined 100% of the time, or the truck is just idleing and doing no work at all.
He has an 06, which handles a big charger a lot better than an older 2nd gen.

Also, if he hates spoolup, then the larger housing he might have would also negate any surging.

Surging happens when you try to maximize spoolup. If you can live with lag, then surge is not a problem....

jlh
Old 08-07-2006, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HOHN
He has an 06, which handles a big charger a lot better than an older 2nd gen.

Also, if he hates spoolup, then the larger housing he might have would also negate any surging.

Surging happens when you try to maximize spoolup. If you can live with lag, then surge is not a problem....

jlh
To be honest I don't personally know how the 2nd gen handles the SPS66, but I do know what it is like to tow with one mounted on a 3rd gen. It surges like crazy, and has high egts unless you're into the throttle very heavy. Partial throttle doesn't work well.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JD Dearden
And the best part is Bart you have them right in your back yard.
Wide Open is a good outfit, and I already know Zane, thanks.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:44 AM

Jim Fulmer has a thread going over on the TDR about surging and SPS66. Claims he can't make it surge.
Chris.
What size inducer does the BD turbo have? I tried a small(57mm) Bell WSB a while back. With a 3B it worked ok, but while it spooled quickly, it didn't pull at all untill I got to 20 psi at the manifold. With a smaller primary(k31) it would hit 40psi going up a grade that would normally only hit 20psi. But, the power level at 40 was about the same as 20 with the other primary. Switching to the 62mm with the smaller primary worked great. But the .7 housing get's pretty high drive pressure once you get over 55lbs of total boost. Over 90psi at 65psi manifold. .8 housing drops the drive, but creates a bit of lag. Probably nothing like a large single though.

Ron
Old 08-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Banned

Jim has a ported head and a custom cam... he's moving a lot more CFM than a stock truck
Old 08-07-2006, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by RonA
Jim Fulmer has a thread going over on the TDR about surging and SPS66. Claims he can't make it surge.
Chris.
What size inducer does the BD turbo have? I tried a small(57mm) Bell WSB a while back. With a 3B it worked ok, but while it spooled quickly, it didn't pull at all untill I got to 20 psi at the manifold. With a smaller primary(k31) it would hit 40psi going up a grade that would normally only hit 20psi. But, the power level at 40 was about the same as 20 with the other primary. Switching to the 62mm with the smaller primary worked great. But the .7 housing get's pretty high drive pressure once you get over 55lbs of total boost. Over 90psi at 65psi manifold. .8 housing drops the drive, but creates a bit of lag. Probably nothing like a large single though.

Ron
Ron,
The Super B is a 57mm wheel, and .8 housing...I was gonna try swapping the Super B I have into the .7 housing I got on the turbo form you Ron, but it wouldn't fit! The Super B turbine is bigger...which is probably another reason it spools so well in the bigger housing...kinda like the PS62 vs. SPS62, I guess??

When I ran the Super B as a single, it spooled "a bit" better than the 62mm I'm running now...if I remember right, I would have about 20psi at 13-1400, the 62 is 1500RPM. What I like more about the Super B, is it doesn't take 20psi to keep things cool...the 62 seems like you just have to hammer on it to stay on top of it!

Keep in mind this is all towing...the 95 is my towrig now Hard to beat a 35 for spoolup and driveability when towing below 300hp

Chris
Old 08-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Banned

To be honest I don't personally know how the 2nd gen handles the SPS66, but I do know what it is like to tow with one mounted on a 3rd gen. It surges like crazy, and has high egts unless you're into the throttle very heavy. Partial throttle doesn't work well.
Well I will tell you what you can come meet me with any trailer you wan't me to pull and we can head up Parley's, And you can see for yourself that it doesen't surge at all, or we can go to soldier summit. The exshaust side turbine has alot to do with surging I personally don't really know much about it but I was talkin to Casey C about this and he tried to exsplain it to me.