Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Twins = broader TQ band = more HP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twins = broader TQ band = more HP?

According to the horsepower/tq calculator, If I can get more torque later in the rpm range I will have more HP? Will going to twins give me a flatter torque curve and thus more HP? Below is my dyno sheet link. The toruqe peak is very sharp, is this common, what causes this? I plan on going to B-D twins, will this help power production?

http://www.dynotuning.com/nor-cal-ch..._rpmactual.jpg
Old 10-13-2007, 10:18 PM
GFB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CTD_Neil
According to the horsepower/tq calculator, If I can get more torque later in the rpm range I will have more HP?
Of course. hp= tq * rpm / 5250

The longer you can keep your torque curve up, the more hp you make.

BUT,

It depends on what you're gonna use your truck for. Pulling, dyno queen, etc., then do the mods to produce a flat torque curve and higher revs. For a tower or even a daily driver, you are gonna want that torque curve up at as low rpm as possible. Torque gets you out of the hole and moving. HP keeps it moving. Most of all, torque is FUN.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have a narrow operating band, then a single turbo can make big power. Look on the HTT site to see the dyno sheet of their single SS62 making more peak HP than a set of twins.

But the key term here is PEAK. If you are sledpulling or something where you can stay at constant RPM where you have peak hp, then a single can perform very well.

But if you need a broader rpm range where "area under the curve" matters, the twins will smoke a single charger.

A person has to ask themselves realistically if they need big power at lower RPM where it's more strain on the engine and driveline, or if they can just downshift and run enough rpm to get the power they need.

A lot depends on the intended usage of the truck and how it's optioned. If you have a 12V with an auto trans and tight converter and want to tow, you might need twins at only 400hp, while the guy with a 24V 6-speed who doesn't tow might not need twins at 500hp...

JMO-- worth what you paid...