Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

twin update and ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
twin update and ?'s

well i started sunday tearing the truck abart to put the twins on.

Sunday: I took the exhaust and the turbo off.
Today i took the manfold off fuel canister, fuel lnes and the head off.

wel almost everything wena according to plan, even the exhaust manifold bolts came out without using heat. What i did run into was when i finally took the head off i couldnt get the head bolts that are on the #5 &6 rockers. I could unbolt them but i couldnt take them out because the were to long and hit the shroud. And so did the push roda on the same cylinders. So we had to dold them all up and kind of tilt the head towards the passenger side to get it off. My question is: is there an easier way? Especially when i put it all back together with the studs? Also will i have to readjust the valves after put it back together? I already adjusted them. Also when i took the head off i left the injectors in it, do i have to take them out and will the clean the head before they do it because i didnt.

Thanks Rick
Old 09-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Weg

There should be some rubber plugs up on the Cowl, can't really see them but if you feel you can feel them. Thats what they are there for to give you enough room when removing the push rods/bolts.

I would readjust the valves since you are in there anyway, plus when you torque the head down with the studs it could change the adjustment of the valves. I would do it just for piece of mind.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Banned

Definately go ahead and pop the injectors out. It's cheap insurance against dropping the head on them when resintalling it.

Like Weg said, there are some rubber plugs underneath the cowl that you can undo to slide the pushrods and stuff out.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:17 PM

they are rubber plugs like was said before. also the injectors stick out and when your fighting the head inplace it would be very easy to damage them so I would go ahead and pull them I have on the two I have done. Also your going to have to adjust the valves atleast twice if you are doing it properly. adjust them after the first torque, then after the studs stop moving (usually about the 5th retorque) It's also a good idea to check the torque at your oil changes and such. find a stud that's easy to get to and check it if it dosent move your fine, if it does the injection lines and valve covers must come off and a full retorque must be done.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:23 PM
The Guru

When you put back in your exhaust manifold bolt you should put on some High temp loctite. I lost a few bolts. Even still they work themselfs loose.