Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Twin Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by signature600
Because it was 2 in the morning when I hung it, and the bracket was cut off!!!

No Problems in 4K miles AT ALL!! No Boots, No leaks, Nothing! Took them off to put on the bigger set...4K miles later, I'm back to a single charger (that I already blew up)

I really liked the BD Twins, but they weren't big enough for a 12v at 450+. ~400 was PERFECT ~300 Valet when Towing was awesme too, btw
Chris
Understand the 2 in the morning thing, been and done that.......blurry eyed, not being able to make something work after several attempts.....wake up in the morning to go at it again and everything goes right into place....funny how that works.

I guess what I don't get is "the bracket was cut off" part. What happened there?

Did you have the BD's hanging on the stock manifold?

Also understand on the 12 valve thing. I'm guessing as smokey as the 12 valves can be with fueling mods, you didn't have enough air to clear that up.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:37 PM

Bought the kit used...he torched the bracket off and gave me the rest I wasn't real happy about it either, but it work!

Stock manifold...the ATS I have has an external gate in it, and won't fit upside down with twins But it works great with singles

Chris
Old 06-01-2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by paulb
Yeah, but I can actually see things in my rear view mirror!
Who needs to be able to do that?
Old 06-01-2006, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by signature600
Bought the kit used...he torched the bracket off and gave me the rest I wasn't real happy about it either, but it work!

Stock manifold...the ATS I have has an external gate in it, and won't fit upside down with twins But it works great with singles

Chris
Oh, that's a bummer. Dude must have been lazy, it's not but one bolt; goodness sakes. That's one of the best features of the BD system in my opinion.

Could you put a plug in the external wastegate port, and re-tap on the other side to re-install the external gate? That way you can flip it and run twins. Dunno, just thinking out loud.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:59 PM

It has a riser made into it...I thought about doing what you said, but I'm worried about taking too much metal away and it getting weak!!

I'm just going to use the ATS w/Wastegate for the single charger on this truck, and buy another one when I put the twins on my next truck!!

Chris
Old 06-01-2006, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chris is wise beyond his years!

I looked at putting an external on the bottom (now top) of my HTT. Not as easy as on a stock manifold...can probably be done but definately would not do it with other side already cut out!

Chris, you need that Ext WG with the B-1??

RJ
Old 06-01-2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Willy91
Who needs to be able to do that?
Only the winner of the race...
Old 06-01-2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Chris is wise beyond his years!

I looked at putting an external on the bottom (now top) of my HTT. Not as easy as on a stock manifold...can probably be done but definately would not do it with other side already cut out!

Chris, you need that Ext WG with the B-1??

RJ
What B1 are you talking about???

My plans have changed so many times, with different chargers each time, so I'm getting confused

Chris
Old 06-01-2006, 05:43 PM

Will it be alright if I support the lower turbo and use the stock manifold?
Old 06-01-2006, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by johnsjas
Will it be alright if I support the lower turbo and use the stock manifold?
That's what I'm doing. The BD kit came with a bracket to support the primary turbo. Some folks just hang both from the manifold.....if you do that, I'd say you definitely need the HTT, ATS, or BD manifold. Supposedly the 01 (which I have) has a little heavier casting than previous year models in stock form. Some have said I'll be ok, others have said it'll crack sooner or later. The way I figure it, with the bracket, the stock manifold is still basically only handling the weight of the secondary turbo. And heck, when and if it cracks, I'll get a HTT manifold then.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tiger Rag
And heck, when and if it cracks, I'll get a HTT manifold then.
Yeah when it breaks replace it with better.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm using a support bracket on my bottom turbo and it supports the weight of that turbo. The stock manifold is only supporting the weight of the top turbo.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:25 AM

When I installed the BD "Primary Turbo Support Bracket" (bolted to the engine block) it seemed to me it was not supporting that much weight. Appears to my eye to be more for lateral stability...preventing side load on the whole assembly....movement from engine torque.... and possibly eliminating gyroscopic twisting effect, if there is any?

Guess it has to help prevent downward G-forces from road bumps and pot holes as well? I may be wrong...it's all new to me.

Sorry Chris....Can't keep up with your rotating inventory!

RJ
Old 06-02-2006, 08:49 AM

When I installed the BD "Primary Turbo Support Bracket" (bolted to the engine block) it seemed to me it was not supporting that much weight. Appears to my eye to be more for lateral stability...preventing side load on the whole assembly....movement from engine torque.... and possibly eliminating gyroscopic twisting effect, if there is any?

Guess it has to help prevent downward G-forces from road bumps and pot holes as well? I may be wrong...it's all new to me.
RJ
Rowland, when we installed my set, I put the bracket for the primary on first to the block. Dropped the Primary down and bolted it to the bracket first and then added the hot elbow then the secondary. While the primary was sitting on the bracket it seemed pretty darned stable on it to me. I know it is not anything huge, but the steel is thick so I think between it and manifold, the turbo system is pretty intact in there. We'll see how the stock manifold holds up though. So far so good for the first 2-3 months. To tell you the truth, I'm not really worried about it, but then again, maybe I'm naive.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:16 AM

Sorry Chris....Can't keep up with your rotating inventory!

RJ
I understand Planning on an S300 single somewhere between Super B, and PS62. I would like to have a tiny exhaust housing without a W/G, then use my external gate! I'm strictly towing with this truck now, so spool is most important, with top end being handled by a gate I might be ~325 when it gets done

Chris

Quick Reply: Twin Turbos