Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Twin Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnsjas
I want to build a kit from my current super b and add a b3. How are guys connecting the output of one exhaust housing to the inlet of the other exhaust housing. Are they just milling a square flange and welding it to a 4" pipe? Do they make just a plumbing kit?
We plasma 2 plates from 3/8" or 1/2" steel plate. Then join those together with Schedule 80 black iron pipe weld elbows from McMaster-Carr.

Here's the best shot of it I could find. The regular HX35 gasket is used at the back plate of the HX35 housing and all 5 bolts are used:

brandon.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:31 PM
The Guru

Brandon buddy, where the dump off your wastegate going to? Your gonna plumb so you can feed that hungry bottom turbo . I forget the shop name that sells the hot pipe between your secondary and primary, if your not a welder like me. The HY-35 is way to small for twins, so your gonna have to buy something different. Go with HX-35 turbo if you tow and go larger if you don't. The Ht3B is a cheap primary and will spool slightly slower than the B1. I haven't ran a bomber yet, but I've been told this by several people. I find that my combo is a bit lazy below 10psi of boost, more than 10psi lifes great.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:54 PM

How do they run the oil lines? Some kits that I have seen run the stock oil line to the small turbo but I cannot see where they get the second source? Will it be safe to run a T fitting off the line by the oil filter and run two lines or will there not be enough supply?
Old 05-27-2006, 11:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do they run the oil lines? Some kits that I have seen run the stock oil line to the small turbo but I cannot see where they get the second source? Will it be safe to run a T fitting off the line by the oil filter and run two lines or will there not be enough supply?
just beside the source of the first... on top the oil filter bracket...

there is an extra one.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by 12valve
just beside the source of the first... on top the oil filter bracket...

there is an extra one.
Thanks

I took a look at my engine and see the extra source. It also looks like there is another spot near the bottom of the block to run the oil return line
Old 05-28-2006, 10:37 AM
The Guru

I've heard that the 12v need to have a oil return line drill into the oil pan. The second gens have a second return hole already available.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
I've heard that the 12v need to have a oil return line drill into the oil pan. The second gens have a second return hole already available.
Well that sucks. When I looked at my oil line I saw an extra spot for a line but I did look at a pic of a 24v to see where the return when. If I have to drill into the pan than so be it.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:29 PM
The Guru

Just remember to drill the return line above the oil level. Helps to drain oil out of the bottom turbo. You might have to hack saw up a bit of your cab. There a flange there. I have pictures from PDR for a 1st gen and that’s what they did. Your also gonna have to put a brace the bottom turbo. I did mine different than PDR as I thought that it didn't offer enough support. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward the pics. The biggest issue how much time everything takes to fit together the right way. When you weld-up your air tube you have to do some thinking as you need to bend them so they don't pop-off at wrong time (usually racing a ford). Mine are bent so there are tuff to install but they don't pop-off, yet. I think that Brandon uses a brace off the top turbo, as a support. My next project is to try to figure out how to install a centrifugal super charger to pre-boost my twins. I've heard that PDR has built a couple truck like this. I might have to fire-ring and use a copper head gasket as I expect the boost should be around the 80-100psi area but it should be clean burn and with instant tire shredding power.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:18 PM

Depending on the mounting of the turbo.. some route both of the returns through the front turbo drain... Make sure you have a good angle on the line... Some will say not to do it.. but there's a bunch running around with this setup...
The best would be a second drain...
Old 05-30-2006, 12:24 AM

Well that sucks. When I looked at my oil line I saw an extra spot for a line but I did look at a pic of a 24v to see where the return when. If I have to drill into the pan than so be it.
Depends if you have a STORM block or not. A storm block has 2 drains, one at the front and one at the rear of the block. Some 97's, most 98's and I believe all 99-02 have them.

brandon.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by joefarmer
Depends if you have a STORM block or not. A storm block has 2 drains, one at the front and one at the rear of the block. Some 97's, most 98's and I believe all 99-02 have them.

brandon.

Whare is that second return line on the STORM block?
thanks
Old 05-30-2006, 11:56 AM

I should be located just above the oil pan on the passenger side of the block.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:18 PM

.................................................. ...^^^............................................ ......................^^^

There's one and there's the other one. Both are on the passenger side of the blcok by the pan rail.

brandon.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:50 PM
The Guru

Brandon buddy, I think that your missing a couple parts? Where the rest of the motor?
Old 05-30-2006, 11:19 PM

That's the truck i got screwed on. "not a 53 block" "128000 miles" "minor trans issue" "no rust". Guess what, it was a 53 block with a blown headgasket. The title was marked 'mileage not accurate'. No first gear, no second gear, no overdrive and no reverse. And the rust? The seat brackets are rusting! Look out folks, he's a member on DTR.

12 months later and I have a beautiful long block (short block by DonM).

bradnon.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbos