Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Twin Turbo Oil Drain

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twin Turbo Oil Drain

I just got in my towing twins from Piers and I didn't get any instructions and so far I am assuming that the 2nd oil drain port is the one with a plug in it towards the rear of the motor but how do I get the plug out am for yall with the pdr twins where do those brackets go
Old 02-02-2005, 06:53 PM

twins for the 99? Yes, the block has double oil drain ports. I don't remember which turbo goes to which port.

You threw me for a loop. I only saw the 1st gen in your name & signature and was scratching my head wondering how you got double returns.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:21 PM

Typically what I do to remove the freeze plug is drill a small hole in it and then either screw a long decking type of screw in it or a slide hammer with the threaded tip. Then you either slide hammer it out or grab ahold of the screw and pry it out. The little turbo goes to the front and the big one to the back. The brace attaches to the bell housing.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:34 PM

How do keep from getting shavings in the pan.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:06 PM

You cant keep them all out so I'd plan on changing the oil before firing. Grease on the drill bit helps though.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:47 PM
DTR Advertiser

Last 2 I did I gently tapped the bottom of the plug in, which causes the top to swing out. I then grabbed it with vise grips and pulled it out. If the whole plug moves in stop and do the drill thing like Nate said. Tim
Old 02-02-2005, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Twin Turbo Oil Drain

Originally posted by 1ST GEN.
I just got in my towing twins from Piers and I didn't get any instructions and so far I am assuming that the 2nd oil drain port is the one with a plug in it towards the rear of the motor but how do I get the plug out am for yall with the pdr twins where do those brackets go

I just did this last month so its still fresh...
The little freeze plug is easy, just tap one side with a small screwdriver and hammer and it will pivot out on the opposite side then you can grab it with a pair of pliers and pull it out. The HT3B drains to the back. For the brackets one goes to the bellhousing(the holes in my bellhousing werent tapped so I had to do it)the other goes to the HT3b drain spigot, then they get welded together. I had to do some funky bending to get them to meet so I could weld them
Joefarmer gave me a heads up on this one: change your oil filter now cause you need to take the intake pipe off to do it PM me if you have any other questions you think I can help with.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:56 PM

Thanks for all the help hopefully I won't have to much more trouble
Old 02-02-2005, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 1ST GEN.
Thanks for all the help hopefully I won't have to much more trouble

You will have to deal with the problem of the sweet sound that HT3B makes once lit. All passengers please ensure your seats are in a upright position and your seat belts are....
Old 02-02-2005, 10:25 PM

Re: Re: Twin Turbo Oil Drain

Originally posted by ratsun

I just did this last month so its still fresh...
The little freeze plug is easy, just tap one side with a small screwdriver and hammer and it will pivot out on the opposite side then you can grab it with a pair of pliers and pull it out. The HT3B drains to the back. For the brackets one goes to the bellhousing(the holes in my bellhousing werent tapped so I had to do it)the other goes to the HT3b drain spigot, then they get welded together. I had to do some funky bending to get them to meet so I could weld them
Joefarmer gave me a heads up on this one: change your oil filter now cause you need to take the intake pipe off to do it PM me if you have any other questions you think I can help with.
Ya, no kidding on the oil filter comment, once that filter pipe is on the the HT3B you almost can't see the filter.

I have been looking at the citydiesel.net remote filter, but $200.00??? Come on!!!

O ya, after you pull the freeze plug out and get everything done. Just pour a gallon of delo through the motor without the plug in. That should get rid on any shavings or metal fragements that get into the case.

Good luck on the install... Let use know how you like 'em.

Justin
Old 02-03-2005, 12:00 AM

I used Tim's tap and pliers method on mine. I had a real diesel mechanic stand behind me and make sure that I didn't do anything stupid. As Tim noted, if the whole plug moves inward, stop immediately and use Idaho CTD's method.

As noted, oil filters suck to change with a hot engine. I normally get a gallon ziplock bag out of the kitchen and put it around the filter before spinning it off. Once it's off, let it fall in the bag and you can just maneuver it around the maze of plumbing without a mess. I wish this was my idea, but it came from Patrick Huxley of DiRT.

brandon