Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Twin Turbo Not Working.........

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twin Turbo Not Working.........

ok here it is......i installed a twin turbo in my truck last week and the results where great now.......we ordered on for my buddys 2002 dodge ram.........bone stock not had one mod yet so it was a big step up.......well since i installed one already i knew how to do it and all the shortcuts to make make it easyer compared to the instructions......wellllllll the problem is we get the Twin turbos on the truck crank the bad boy up and find there to be NOOOOOOO POWER...............when he floors the truck it goes so slow and the lagg is insane and worst thing of all we used my boost gauge to find it producing only 11 PSI...............with an insane amount of lagg....we just now finished so we are little tired and the BD technician is closed..........i tryed to shim it like i did mine to adjust it and there still no result went up to 13 psi.........what is going on....
Old 08-25-2005, 11:56 PM

we ordered on for my buddys 2002 dodge ram.........bone stock not had one mod yet so it was a big step up.......
I'd bet he needs more fuel if he is still stock. Without more fuel you can only make so much boost which would probably feel quite disappointing with the lag and such. Fuel makes the extra heat and pressure that the turbo runs off of.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:59 PM

thanks boostd......... i was hoping to expect more from it because i dyno'd ober 500HP on 275's and there not much bigger then stock unless the original owner renozzled them which is a possability since i didnt install them........came witht he truck when i bought it...
Old 08-26-2005, 12:03 AM

You need fuel to make power. The more fuel you add to more air you need. You have the air part taken care of, now just get it more fuel. They work hand-n-hand.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:03 AM

ok this is just getting worse..........we take it down the street because i tryed to shim it some.............well the ugly sound of something blowing up went off.... open the hood to find a boot popped off.....well not only did it pop off the clamp destroyed itself.....

the welds were ripped right off.............

Old 08-26-2005, 12:24 AM

you have the rv 275's and an edge box acording to your sig,thats why your twins worked out so good, you had fuel to turn them, your buddy needs more fuel, like mentioned above.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think your stuck until you call the tech in the morning. There is definitely something wrong. On my truck, same twins, I run around all winter on stock power. That is about 200hp to the rear wheels. The twins spool fine at that level and can still push enough boost on stock power to set an over boost code. Definitely have to make some phone calls in the morning and see what they have to say.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:35 AM

The simple thing is you got into something yu know nothing about. There are more varibles with these twins than you know, too many adjustments. Just because you installed a set on your truck, does not make you good at it.

Now, your trouble is boost leak. If a clamp broke, that should tell you there. I agree fuel and air makes power. 11 lbs of boost ain't air. So why add fuel? Check the intercooler connections and make sure the hoses aren't split. With all that boost you may have busted the intercooler. Another check. Where is the wastegate set on both turbos? How much fuel is the truck getting.

Let us know.

..PT..
Old 08-26-2005, 08:58 AM

ok last night before we called quits we unhooked my edge comp and wired it to his truck and the twins spooled to 28psi..........on 5x5 that is after holding the pedal to the floor at WOT..................but we kept blowing the same boot which connects the secondary turbo intake to the primary turbo intake charge line not the intake...........ak ram......are you sure about that?????????you had spool up on stock injectors?...........these twins are different then the ones that where in my set the primary turbo is a bit smaller and the wastegate on the secondary turbo is not threaded to adjust it we have to shim it instead........

here is a picture of the 2 boots that keeps blowing off.....and we keep cranking on them afraid going to break another clamp......

Old 08-26-2005, 09:34 AM

Why would your budde want twins on a stock truck????
Old 08-26-2005, 09:47 AM

i kinda talked him into them because he droove my truck for a day to work when i had to do some work on his truck........brakes.....rotate the tires....but he just bought the truck from a local guy about 8 months ago it had a bad injection pump in it and the owner went off and bought a GAS truck and put the diesel up for sale.....so i replaced the injection pump and she ran good ever since tell we put the twin turbos on......
Old 08-26-2005, 10:19 AM

Maybe the wastegate on the primary/small turbo is stuck open.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:59 AM

ok we took the injectors out of my truck and swapped them into his and they made a world of differene.....we had to take out the shims because we were boosting really high. So the problem is his injecotrs are shot or something along those lines....
Old 08-26-2005, 12:06 PM

Take the two metal tubes that the hoses keep blow off of, and get a weld or raised bead around the edge for the clamp to "bite" onto. That hose will not come off anymore. Where did the clamps come form. We use the ones from NAPA and have had no trouble with them.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:22 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you've got more than 275 hp injectors in there.

I'd bet money on that

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo Not Working.........