Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

TWIN HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:TWIN HELP PLEASE

[quote author=Jim Fulmer link=board=7;threadid=7762;start=0#74838 date=1038884725]<br>I would try an HY35, and an H2e as their cfm flow rates are idea almost for a compound setup.<br><br>This setup would be great to a point, driveability would be outstanding but upper H.P. would be limited to some degree and the H2e is a more exspensive turbo, that's why most of us use HT3B's as they move 1500 CFM or so worth of air and you can by them off the shelf, or you really want them to perform buy one that has been Piersified like mine, believe me it's worth the extra money. An HT3B is not the end all of turbo's, I can think of several after market ones that would work better but there in the 2-3 grand price range.<br><br>Jim<br>[/quote]<br><br>Jim, thanks for stepping in and saying this, as i ment to edit my post, and make that point about missing out on the top end. <br><br>Andrew
Old 12-03-2002, 06:56 AM

Guys don't be getting into a battle now in one of my threads ;D What about modifying the stock turbo sending it to piers? Will it make it better then my stock HX40? Or should I send the 40? I can't find anything about average cost to have piers do a mod just anyone know what they run? I sent him emails but get no replies makes me wonder how customer service is around there?

What turbo is stock on my 02 auto? And how can I tell exactly if I have an HX 40 or not I was only told that and there is no I'd Tags on it at all can anyone tell from a pic?
Old 12-03-2002, 08:14 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andrew unfortunantly the info you were given is not correct.<br><br>A P/R of 4 is not 41 psi at ambient. Its 3.78. There is a ton of difference in those numbers when we get up that high on the map. You can operate a turbine at very high pressure ratios if you want to, but off the map is not smart. The H2E will only provide 750CFM and stay on the map. <br>Also, the H2E is not the same turbo as an Hx55. Its closer to a Hx50 or is in most cases. Further, there are several different wheels for the different turbos with different maps.<br><br>The first stage refered to is actually the second stage. Get on the ball Man. <br><br>Don~<br><br><br><br>
Old 12-03-2002, 10:26 AM
Banned

Stock turbo if I'm correct is the HY35 with the 9cm2 wastegate. It may be small, but I'm satisfied with mine. Push 35 psi out of it and have been for a while now and there are no cracks or leaks or anything.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:27 AM

Ok so I have an Hy 35 sitting here on the floor what mods can be done to it to make more boost with fast spool up? Right now its off and laying bone stock on the floor. I have what I believe to be an HX40 on my truck but not sure. Can anyone tell by a pic?
Old 12-03-2002, 01:56 PM

[quote author=Don M link=board=7;threadid=7762;start=15#74992 date=1038924856]<br>Further, there are several different wheels for the different turbos with different maps.<br><br>The first stage refered to is actually the second stage. Get on the ball Man. <br><br>Don~[/quote]<br><br>So with different wheels and exhaust housongs, your telling me that the H2e can't flow 900cfm? <br><br>Now he was refering to the first stage being the way you described a couple of weeks ago, where the big turbo is the &quot;first stage&quot;. <br><br>I own the ball ~, find your own to get on! <br><br>Andrew<br><br>P.S. It should be noted that ~ and I are actually good friends, and do not get upset over these posts, the insults are actually funny we think. No battles here. ;D
Old 12-03-2002, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are so many variants to each turbo model that it's got to be tough getting the right combo for twins. The vast majority of variants don't even have flow specs, I believe. For example, there is a generator app using a HX35 which has a HX40 sized compressor. Using that compressor on a otherwise stock 35 makes a pretty decent trubo for higher altitudes. But on the flip side, with all those choices there should be a few combos which would be right on the money.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:45 PM

Alright my turn to jump in on this one ;D I was told in the past that the HX55 would not be good in a staged system.Also that I should go with the HT3B instead of the HX55 which already have.The HX 55 I was told had poor spooling ability compared to the HT3B.Is this true?I got a Holset H2E from Hypermax now and want more.The H2E has poor spooling ability in a single system in my application.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:24 PM

I would like to jump in here too. I have a question for Don, Andrew, and anyone else who can answer it. How well matched is a HX35 and a HT3B in a twin turbo setup. I know this is probably the least expensive combination of turbos but how well are they matched up. <br><br>P.S. I have been working on this setup for over a month and it is finally ready to be installed. They will finally be going in next week.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Jamie:<br><br>Above, you asked about the difference between a<br>&quot;stock&quot; HX-40 and Piers' &quot;Modified&quot; HX-40. Well, I<br>have run both of them on my 96' 12 valve and <br>the difference IMO is ALOT! Piers HX-40 is also<br>MUCH MORE reliable than a stock HX-40.<br><br>Piers takes the stock HX-40 and modifies the oil<br>galleries so the turbo is better lubricated. He also<br>balances the shaft and then does &quot;censored&quot; work<br>to the exhaust housing.<br><br>His turbo spools up faster, seems to &quot;run cooler&quot;<br>(EGT wise) and is alot more reliable. There are alot<br>of members on this site running his turbo with great<br>results. Ask &quot;Don M&quot; how he likes his! ;D <br><br>Both my son and I are running Piers HX-40 and are<br>very happy with it! The one on my son's 2001 24<br>valve is almost one year old now. Before he ran it,<br>I had it on my 12 valve. I switched over to a B-1<br>and now have another Piers HX-40 on mine!<br><br>-------<br>John_P
Old 12-04-2002, 01:46 AM

[quote author=Battering Ram link=board=7;threadid=7762;start=15#75282 date=1038972285]<br>I would like to jump in here too. I have a question for Don, Andrew, and anyone else who can answer it. How well matched is a HX35 and a HT3B in a twin turbo setup. I know this is probably the least expensive combination of turbos but how well are they matched up. <br><br>P.S. I have been working on this setup for over a month and it is finally ready to be installed. They will finally be going in next week.<br>[/quote]<br><br>You'll love that combo, but to REALLY need some more fuel to appreciate that set of twins. Look into some bigger injectors because with all that air, you don't have enough fuel... <br><br>Andrew<br><br>P.S. this is providing that you still have the DD2's listed in your siggy.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:59 AM

Thanks john P for answering my question! Anyways still got that B-1? I'm still looking for anyone that can identify my turbo and tell me if it is an hx 40 or whatever. I also want to find out if piers can mod it for me or if for my Hp Im best to mod my stock turbo off my truck and maintain the quick spool up.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Jamie:<br><br>You are welcome! <br><br>Yes, I still have my B-1, but I promised it to a friend of<br>mine as soon as he is able to get the money together.<br>If he changes his mind I will definitely let you know!<br>The B-1 is a great turbo, but on my 12 valve the &quot;bottom<br>end lag&quot; is just too much for me. <br><br>And yes, Piers CAN modify your &quot;stock&quot; HX-40! That is<br>what he did for me on the HX-40 my son is running. That<br>HX-40 was originally &quot;stock&quot; Jamie, and I sent it up to<br>Piers and he did his &quot;majic&quot; work for me! ;D As I said above,<br>there was a major difference! You will notice it immediately!<br>As the other members said, if you do have Piers &quot;modify&quot;<br>yours, I would recommend going with the 16cm housing.<br>IMO, it is alot more &quot;responsive.&quot;<br><br>--------<br>John_P
Old 12-04-2002, 11:16 AM

<br><br>You'll love that combo, but to REALLY need some more fuel to appreciate that set of twins. Look into some bigger injectors because with all that air, you don't have enough fuel... <br><br>Andrew<br><br>P.S. this is providing that you still have the DD2's listed in your siggy. <br>
<br><br>Dont worry. There are 180hp EDM injectors that will be in very soon. ;D
Old 12-04-2002, 02:00 PM

OK so what was the cost to mod that turbo john P?

Quick Reply: TWIN HELP PLEASE