Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Turning up tranny pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turning up tranny pressure?

I've read something along the lines of turning up trans line pressures or something like that to handle more power.
Can anyone help me to do this. I'm going to go with a new trans when I can afford to but if there is something I can do now, that would be great. I have no idea where anything is on the trans so detailed instructions for a newbie would be WAY appreciated!
Thanks in advance guys!
Old 10-21-2003, 06:28 AM

Re:Turning up tranny pressure?

Go to http://www.dieseltrans.com for instructions on the upped pressure.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much danger is there of blowing seals if you do this in a tranny with higher mileage?
Old 10-21-2003, 05:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[quote author=berner link=board=7;threadid=21222;start=0#msg199211 date=1066739388]
How much danger is there of blowing seals if you do this in a tranny with higher mileage?
[/quote]

Depends on the condition of your seals. It won't hurt anything else. As far as the seals go, it's a crap shoot. In my case, I was concerned because I was told I *may* have a poorly designed front pump seal housing, where the seal could blow out and take out the front pump, although I never got a complete understanding of it. This seal issue appears to affect 98-2000 trannys. I believe the design was changed in 2001. (don't take my word for this as I am typing from memory)
I suggest to anyone who is worried that they talk to a tranny builder and see what the affects could be.

Also note, if you turn up the pressure too much, while the tranny will probably handle it just fine, if you do not put a special resistor in the computer wiring it may set a code in the computer and put the tranny in limp mode. This happens because the computer does not expect the pressure to be so high and assumes a problem.

Chris
Old 10-21-2003, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the link. Very helpful but it doesn't actually have a step by step on how to do it. If anyone knows, please help.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:05 PM
Banned

Ok, who knows what the line pressures are supose to be?
Old 10-21-2003, 07:32 PM

[quote author=DynamicalyUnstable link=board=7;threadid=21222;start=0#msg199456 date=1066781054]
Thanks for the link. Very helpful but it doesn't actually have a step by step on how to do it. If anyone knows, please help.
[/quote]

I can kinda tell you, but I neglected to take pics when I did mine. When you pull the pan, you will see an Allen head screw on the left side of the valve body, between the case and the valve body, going into the valve body (pointed towards the right side of the tranny). You will need to have an allen wrench you can modify for this (must be cut due to very little clearance between the screw and the tranny case), or use vise-grips to grab the outside of the screw. The former is preferrable to the latter due to the obvious issues with using Vice-Grips on anything that doesn't require it, and you can only turn the screw with the Vice-Grips about 45 degrees before you have to get another bite.
I do not know what size the screw is, unfortunately, because I did not have anything on hand that I could modify at the time, and used the Vice-Grip method.
Turn the screw counter-clockwise to increase pressure.
Pressure increase is about 3-4 psi per complete turn.

Chris
Old 10-21-2003, 07:40 PM

[quote author=y-knot link=board=7;threadid=21222;start=0#msg199458 date=1066781138]
Ok, who knows what the line pressures are supose to be?
[/quote]

I swiped this from another site, but it looks right, according to what I set mine at.
Hook a 300psi gauge to the accumulator port on passenger side of case. Minimum line hot in “D” should be 95 psi idle and 165 psi at wide open throttle. Pressure readings will read 5-10 psi higher when cold. The W.O.T shifts will be 2500-2650 rpm’s for 12 valve and 3000-3100 rpm’s for 24 valve. These pressure readings are for single plate torque converters only. Multi plate converters may run lower pressure.
Credit to: http://dunriteconverters.com/faqs.shtml

Chris
Old 10-22-2003, 06:41 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

I think you'd want to look at this pic:

This is taken from dieseltrans.com, the site of DTT.
The statement that multi disk converters may run lower pressures in itself is true, but covers only converter lockup clutch slippage- the possible slippage of bands and clutches in the auto is not affected by the number of disks in the TC lockup clutch.

I'd suggest that you have your auto analyzed by a pro and set up correctly. The pro can give you an estimate of what the tranny will take based on the facts and figures measured on your tranny. Any other way that wants to prognose something without looking at the tranny is plain guesswork IMHO- educated guesswork on this site for shure, but still guesswork.

AlpineRAM