Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Turning up the 12v in an F500

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 09:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Turning up the 12v in an F500

I just obtained a 1996 F500 with a 6BT in it, 21,800GVW, and 163K on the clock. It has a 5 speed tranny and will become a dump truck soon. It is a box truck now.
The engine runs good, and certainly cannot be ragged out since it is governed to 2,000 RPM. You do have to hold it to the floor when you start it though. I am hoping this is a battery issue, though. On the drive home I couldn't get it to do more than 57 MPH, downhill, with a tailwind.

Obviously the first thing I need to do is get a set of 3K governor springs in it, but what else should be done, considering it will be a dump truck, carrying wood chips most of the time, and towing a chipper that weighs around 6K? I won't always be driving it and the help may not watch the EGT gauge, so I hesitate to do mods that will raise the EGTs to the danger zone, like I have done with my 96 Ram. I can turn up the smoke screw a little with no effect on EGTs, right?

It has a BHAF stock, so that part is done. I found the fan clutch is bad, and medium duty parts aren't nearly as easy to find on the Internet as the lighter stuff. I hope to hunt that down with a truck parts dealer on Monday.

Thanks,
Chris