Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

turnbuckle on wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turnbuckle on wastegate

can ne one tell me how to install turnbuckle on my wastegate for more boost. also is it a safe thing to do. haveing trouble with high egt's. need to try something.

thanks all.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:46 PM

I think it is a 6". You have to bend the ends a little to make it work. I tried to find a picture but the old links in the search don't work for some reason.
I’m not a big fan of that method. With stock injectors you might be ok but if you add bigger injectors later you could get into trouble with over spinning the turbo. I would look into a Turbo Master http://www.turbo-master.com/?action=prodinfo&id=HDP1244 or J hook form Bully Dog http://www.bullydog.com/sale.pl?item=182555
They will let you tune your setup where a turnbuckle is wide open all the time.
Just my $0.02 worth.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edge has a picture of the setup somewhere on their website.

I guess they just switched to a new site and I can't find it there.
(search doesn't function, and the link to the "old site" doesn't work either).

I'm sure someone has the picture saved and can post it for you.
In fact, I might at home somewhere.

As far as safely goes, I wouldn't block the wastegate entirely closed.
Your turbo is out of its effenciency around 35 psi anyway, after that you're just heating the air back up and risking turbo implosion.

phox
Old 02-24-2004, 11:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I run a turnbuckle and ez edge. The most boost I get is 29.5 lb. Worked great for lowering the egts while towing. I still run stock air inlet and exhaust.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:16 AM

Anyone have a good pic of the turnbuckle installed? I assume one end is hooked to the wastegate arm, but what are you attaching the other end to? Do you unhook the stock accuator rod from the diaphram?
Old 02-25-2004, 09:23 AM

The picture I saw (can't find it with a search) they removed the actuator and put a plug in the where the elbow was. They hooked one end on the waste gate and the other end where the actuator was. You have to bend the end where the actuator was to make it fit.
Good Luck
Old 02-25-2004, 09:54 AM

Yeah, since my truck in an '01/auto with the weenie HY and hardlined actuator, simply putting a plug where the elbow is, is not an option for me. That's why I was wondering how to cap off the boost port on the HY if I removed the actuator completely.... really wish I had an HX.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:48 AM

Mechanos, Where is the elbow you refer to? Instructions for the install of the edege comp refer to a turbo intake elbow also but darn if I can find it!
Old 02-25-2004, 11:03 AM

Mechanos
You might have to put it along side the actuator and compress the actuator with the turnbuckle.
Turbo Master makes a control for the HY35. http://www.turbo-master.com/?action=prodinfo&id=HDP1244
I would give them a call and inquire on how you could disable the stock control.

Rangerst
You have the HY35 the boost elbow is for the HX35. The HX35 has a brass elbow with a rubber hose. The HY35 has a solid line and won’t work with the elbow.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:00 PM

just hook one end around the wastegate arm and the other end on the bracket that holds the actuator.with mine buckled it makes 34 lbs of boost now compared to 26 lbs before,,and my egts went from a high of about 1350 to now at a high of about 1225.good luck with it,,and if it slings apart,well,thats a good reason to buy a bigger one
Old 02-25-2004, 09:43 PM

I found the turnbuckle pic saved on my PC from Edges website.......
Old 02-26-2004, 09:30 AM

Just a thought here...... is there any reason that you couldn't take your compressor housing off, drill out the port for the hard line and tap it to accept the NPT fitting? Then you could cut the hard line off the acutator diaphram leaving just enough to clamp a piece of rubber hose to. You could then install a boost elbow and short piece of rubber line to the diaphram. I've never had one of these off to look at it closely enough to see if this is possible. Comments?
Old 02-26-2004, 09:58 AM

is this turnbuckle thing a 24v trick ?? if so why doesnt it benefit a 12v ?? thanks, scott
Old 02-26-2004, 05:34 PM

how does the wastegate operate. from the pic. above it looks like the arm can be adjusted so it dont open so far. i have no clue how these things operate. with the turnbuckle on does that hold the gate completely shut at all times. sorry for all the stupid questions but this my first diesel and im trying to learn all i can.

thanks all for replys and esp. the pic.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:28 PM

The waste gate lets exhaust gas bypass the turbo wheel. The actuator operates the waste gate. The actuator has a spring and diaphragm in it and is tapped into the compressor side of the turbo. When the boost level overrides the spring pressure it will start opening the waste gate. The turnbuckle keeps the waste gate closed so boost will rise. The boost elbow has a small hole in it to bleed off pressure, so it takes more pressure to open the waste gate. I hope this makes sense.

Quick Reply: turnbuckle on wastegate