Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

turbo wabble, where to find bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo wabble, where to find bearings?

i need to know where i might be able to find bearings for my turbo of if that is even my problem... it wabbles bad when it is running and you can hear it pinging and see tiny sparks when the engine speed is up. i just rebuilt the engine and have the oil feed line hooked up, but am not 100% certain that the line is not plugged up, it could be. i am going to check that right now. but seems to me like it should be leaking oil if the bearings were that bad. and wouldn't the turbo still run smooth even if the bearings are just a litle worn out??? because they are just barely worn, not completely wallered, and seems like the oil pressure should keep the shaft centered up a little better, i have 75 psi oil pressure right now
Old 02-20-2005, 05:38 PM

this is also the turbo that i had hooked up to the ford i.d.i. with a restriction valve inline the oil feed line because it was by-passing oil so bad, and now it is not byassing any oil which leads me to believe the line may be plugged up.... i will go check to make sure.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There are no bearings but rather bushings that depend on a film of oil to stay centered and lubed. If it's wobbling it's out of balance or was disassembled and put back together wrong.
You can download a manual here http://www.holset.co.uk/files/4_4_1-...%20manuals.php
and a rebuild kit from Cummins or any number of turbo shops for about $70.
I would take it to a pro for balancing though.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:47 PM

nope, theres plenty of oil pressure going to the turbo
Old 02-20-2005, 05:54 PM

i did take it apart and clean it since it was nearly locked up and full of soot that collected around the compression rings and made the turbo tight, after re-assemble, it sun like a new one, but with a little clearance, how much clearance is accetable for the turbo? it has about 12-15 thousandths. i can take a piece of rubber hose, and ress against the compressor wheel nut and mash it to one side and it will straighten out and run straight till i let go of it. thank you for the link, i will read up on it as soon as it loads.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:50 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
High Tech Turbo will sell you rebuild parts.
http://www.htturbo.com/
Old 02-21-2005, 01:44 AM
Banned

I've got a buddy w/ a turbo w/ 107k on it he's looking to get rid of. he's in Dallas. lemme know if you're interested.

Forrest
Old 02-24-2005, 03:02 PM

i need to know what parts will interchange with my truck. say i found a good turbo off a first gen dodge, could i put that one on there? i just need it to work right now, if it will make 20 psi boost, i can just be careful with it till i get a better one, what if i get a first gen and put my exhaust housing on it?? better or not work at all? can i put my compressor housing-wheel on it? can i yank the bearings out of the first gen turbo and put them in mine?? what if i found a hx40?? can i put the 40 wheel and compressor housing on it and it still bolt right up?? i need to do something.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:34 AM

i have a wh1c, which i recently discovered that is different than a hx35, so does that mean that all first gen dodge is a h1c?plus the second gen only in 94..? if so, does that mean that any of my turbo parts will interchange with any first gen dodge? or at least any intercooled first gen..?
Old 02-25-2005, 12:06 PM

ok, i got a h1c turbo with a 21 cm housing and ut it on the truck, the downpipe was a little hard to get hooked up for lack of wastegate i guess, but i will make it all fit right when i straightpipe it i still need to put the driveshaft in and buy a belt for it so i can drive it, so i don't know how good it works.but i bet it will work good, the wheel was a little tight to turn when i put it on, but now that i run it for a few minutes, it limbered up a lot.so what kind of boost do you think this thing will make? and would i have to worry about too much backpressure with a 21 cm housing?? i have a 0 plate and gutted afc... it should make lotsa smoke till it boosts up good. but what is about the max boost pressure i could make with that turbo?
Old 02-25-2005, 06:00 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
They'll make 35 psi before they blow up. Keep a close eye on your EGT at low RPM, that smoke = a lot of heat.