Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Turbo upgrade on the near horizon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo upgrade on the near horizon?

I intend to change a couple of items in the signature below, I'll be replacing the Jammer's with either Mach 1.6's or 2's, and I'll be adding the new "Race Box" as a beta tester and intend to keep it after testing (I'll have to remove the VA box too)...the parameters allow for a lot of adjust-ability with this box but it apparently can fuel quite heavily or as lightly as I set it.

I really like the fast spool up of the stocker and wish to stay on the clean and cool side as well...I do a little towing and would also like to retain driveability. Twins are out of the question (wallet really) at this time and this is likely to be about as far as I go with modifications. (famous last words ) I get the impression that a HX40 would be too laggy and there are several on here that don't seem impressed with the 35/40 hybrids either...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
John
Old 09-12-2007, 09:57 AM

Go with a phat shaft 62! will spool a little slower than a stocker but not too much. With the size injectors your getting it would keep you plenty cool
Old 09-12-2007, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bjans
Go with a phat shaft 62! will spool a little slower than a stocker but not too much. With the size injectors your getting it would keep you plenty cool
Does that take into account the fueling the box will supply?
Old 09-12-2007, 12:36 PM

ya! with a little room to grow! you could go mach 4's and you'd be ok towing on lower settings, not sure yet on how egts are with that new box but im assuming youd be a little toasty up top with 4's! but ive heard good things about mach 1.6's. The f1's are a lot better than jammers.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bjans
ya! with a little room to grow! you could go mach 4's and you'd be ok towing on lower settings, not sure yet on how egts are with that new box but im assuming youd be a little toasty up top with 4's! but ive heard good things about mach 1.6's. The f1's are a lot better than jammers.
Thanks Bjans, phat shaft 62/12? ...that's some good info...anyone else wanna kick in a suggestion or is this all I'm gonna need....for now
Old 09-12-2007, 02:05 PM

i love my Super Phat Shaft 62/80... it spools really well and should cool you just fine
Old 09-12-2007, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by lotero
i love my Super Phat Shaft 62/80... it spools really well and should cool you just fine
So...is there a difference in the Super Phat Shaft to the Phat Shaft or am I just asking too many questions?

Trending Topics

Old 09-12-2007, 02:50 PM

Yes there is but industrial injection can explain it better than i can, give em a call they are great guys and will take care of you!
800-955-0476
Old 09-12-2007, 03:43 PM

the shaft that connects the 2 wheels is a little different also the bearings are a little different. the super phat shaft will spool a little slower than the regular phat shaft. Unless your plannin on goin bigger than the injectors you mentioned id just go with the regular phat shaft. price difference is like 3 or 4 hundred i think. call and talk to shane at II he's in charge of the turbos. maybe he'll talk you into some twins j/k ha ha. thier injectors are pretty sweet too. i had a set of thier 3 flows for a while and i wish i still had them
Old 09-12-2007, 04:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Super Phat Shaft has a bigger shaft, and a bigger turbine wheel in the exhaust. That bigger wheels generates more "shaft horse power" to turn the air compressor wheel but because it is larger and heavier, it spools a little slower. It also has a lower drive pressure designed wheel which allows more flow on the top end but hurts spool up even more. If you want like stock but more air flow, you should get a regular phat shaft or a regular htt 62/12/65. They are nearly identical turbos. If you want a little bit more peak HP for dyno bragging rights like 10-15 ponies get the 14cm exhaust housing as it flows a little more than the 12cm at the sacrifice of slightly slower spoolup.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Big Blue24
Super Phat Shaft has a bigger shaft, and a bigger turbine wheel in the exhaust. That bigger wheels generates more "shaft horse power" to turn the air compressor wheel but because it is larger and heavier, it spools a little slower. It also has a lower drive pressure designed wheel which allows more flow on the top end but hurts spool up even more. If you want like stock but more air flow, you should get a regular phat shaft or a regular htt 62/12/65. They are nearly identical turbos. If you want a little bit more peak HP for dyno bragging rights like 10-15 ponies get the 14cm exhaust housing as it flows a little more than the 12cm at the sacrifice of slightly slower spoolup.
I'm not much for bragging...I'd rather be runnin' down the road than spinnin' a dyno...

Is HTT comparative in performance/value/price (price is always a concern) and which one can be upgraded in the future...you know, in the unlikely event that I want more power?
Old 09-12-2007, 10:02 PM

the sps will also cool way better than the regular ps. but from my exp id go with htt and not II.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No the SPS or Super Stock as HTT calls it will not cool better. Well, it will cool better in a 1/4 mile blast or more than 2 gears, but under normal conditions where you don't hit WOT past 60 mph from a dead stop the sps/killer 71 series HTT will not cool better. The smaller turbine wheel turbo will make more efficient boost up to say 40 psi, after that the bigger turbine wheel will shine but it will already be way behind in the egt game. IMO a 62/12 or PS 62 is the best turbo for street driving that II or HTT has to offer. Hohn will preach Garett to you but unless you have 2K to spend, stick with one of these. In fact HTT's are a little less than II, just check ebay, you can have a 62/12 with a downpipe shipped to your door for 1500.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:05 PM

On my VP equipped truck, the SPS would get to 1000-1100 relatively quickly, but wouldn't break 1300. They get warm faster, but much harder to get hot. My stock HX35, the pyro would climb quick, and not stop climbing until I let out. The SPS definitely spools slower, but you learn to drive around it. I'd love to know what a ph shaft 62 drove like, but I in no way regret getting the SPS. Leaves the door open for more in the future.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:57 PM

I live here in slc where both II and htt are both located and have dealt with both, and in my opinion i wouldnt buy from htt again. ya the products are based off of the same platform, Both places tweak different things in thier own little ways and both will upgrage or downgrade different things if you want, but customer service and dependability are key. I also feel II's products are far superior than htt in durability and design and produce a little more horse power than htt.

Quick Reply: Turbo upgrade on the near horizon?