Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Turbo Noise!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Turbo Noise!

I put a K&N FIlter in my truck and pulled the silencer ring, the turbo screams in the cab but you can barely hear it outside. What do I need to make it loud for others to enjoy . I've heard some Power Strokes (spit on the floor ) where you can't even hear the motor, just the turbo. What's going on?!
Old 11-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
With my latest upgrade you can hear the turbo louder everywhere. I just put in a Scotty Air II, and I cut the second hole in the cowling. Straight pipe exhaust helps too.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:04 PM

Straight pipe maybe this weekend, depends if I have to work... I hear the scotty is hard to find, is that correct?
Old 11-02-2006, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Brendan
Straight pipe maybe this weekend, depends if I have to work... I hear the scotty is hard to find, is that correct?
Yes, they are very hard to find. I'd say your best bet now is to find one in the classifieds. They pop up every now and then in there.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:28 AM
Banned

AFE Race filter = loud
Old 11-02-2006, 08:24 AM
Banned

The Fords have a different type of turbo that makes them whistle loud out of the exhaust....especially the 2003 6.0L....them suckers were LOUD!!

I have the AEM Brute force intake on mine......and you can hear that thing screaming outside the truck...I had a lady roll up her window when I was next to her because it was so loud in her ear

If you want it louder try drilling a hole in the cowl like JRS Diesel said.....that'll let the noise outside a little bit more.

~Nick
Old 11-02-2006, 10:23 AM
24v

Any details on drilling a hole in the cowl? Maybe a pic?

Thanks.

Trending Topics

Old 11-02-2006, 10:37 AM
Banned

I know there are a couple pictures floating around here...maybe try searching for them.

Basically you drill a 4" hole in the cowl right behind the turbo. If I remember right, there is a dot ( looks like a pinch weld ) on the firewall where you can stick the holesaw bit and drill. There should be a piece of that firewall insulation covering the spot where you need to drill, fold that forward and you can pretty much drill anywhere.

Search for the pictures, it'll help explain my rambling a little more!!

~Nick
Old 11-02-2006, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Instead of butchering the inside of the engine compartment, why not take the hood off the truck. That will let the noise out even more.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by royta
Instead of butchering the inside of the engine compartment, why not take the hood off the truck. That will let the noise out even more.
Ok well tell Scotty that when he's the one who came up with the idea to get cooler air to your filter........hence the Scotty II intake. Drilling the hole does 2 things.....lets your filter suck cooler air....and lets out more noise.

~Nick
Old 11-02-2006, 11:32 AM

Straight pipe will do the job. My brother has a 4" straight pipe on his 2002. I can hear his turbo when I'm in my truck i front of him. When he shuts his truck down, you can hear the turbo spinning for a few seconds afterwards. Sounds really good.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:52 AM

The fords are loud out the exhaust, but they dont sound anything like a cummins if you are in front of them. If I am in front of one of my buddies with a CTD with a few mods, when they kick down on em, and the turbo lights, it sounds like a rig behind you. All you can hear is the turbo screaming. The strokes dont do that from everything I have seen. Mine doesent really whistle a lot out of the exhaust, but my cone K&N will almost run you out of the cab with a load behind you Especially since I drilled the cowl hole.

Eric
Old 11-02-2006, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gotlift01
If you want it louder try drilling a hole in the cowl like JRS Diesel said.....that'll let the noise outside a little bit more.
Originally Posted by Brendan
I put a K&N FIlter in my truck and pulled the silencer ring, the turbo screams in the cab but you can barely hear it outside. What do I need to make it loud for others to enjoy . I've heard some Power Strokes (spit on the floor ) where you can't even hear the motor, just the turbo. What's going on?!
Originally Posted by 24v
Any details on drilling a hole in the cowl?
Originally Posted by Gotlift01
Ok well tell Scotty that when he's the one who came up with the idea to get cooler air to your filter........hence the Scotty II intake. Drilling the hole does 2 things.....lets your filter suck cooler air....and lets out more noise.

Having a rough day Nick? Don't get all testy. Brendan doesn't have a Scotty II, nor did 24v indicate he had one. You suggested to drill a hole in the cowl if you wanted a louder diesel. I thought it kind of humorous that people would butcher their engine compartment simply to make more noise, not for the purpose of fitting a Scotty II.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Banned

Well yeah I'm having a bad day....but I wasn't getting testy. I was simply trying to give the dude an option for his need.....plus it would also get him some more air into the engine compartment. I know he doesn't have a Scotty, but it might help with more air...

It was just a suggestion for the guy.........

~Nick
Old 11-02-2006, 01:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by royta
Having a rough day Nick? Don't get all testy. Brendan doesn't have a Scotty II, nor did 24v indicate he had one. You suggested to drill a hole in the cowl if you wanted a louder diesel. I thought it kind of humorous that people would butcher their engine compartment simply to make more noise, not for the purpose of fitting a Scotty II.
well, it does allow cooler/denser air to reach the filter... my truck was drilled for a scotty back in the day... still has the hole. doesn't bother me

Quick Reply: Turbo Noise!