Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Turbo and Injector Selection

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo and Injector Selection

I am looking for some advice on injectors and possibly a complimenting turbo upgrade for my truck. I have a 4" exhaust, AEM intake, and Quadzilla M3 chip. Im looking mainly for better fuel economy and a small gain in power. Any ideas?
Old 04-03-2008, 11:56 PM

You are better off picking a HP level and finding a stick to fit the bill.

Any small EDM with get a kick in performance and economy. Don't overlook the other easy stuff to increase MPG!

Dave
Old 04-04-2008, 07:30 PM

I was looking at some of the manufacturers "Stage I" sticks. Most claim 50 to 60hp and 2 to 3mpg increases. I'm a little leery on the claims but am wondering if it really is worth it.

I had originally wanted to build a 1000ft-lbs truck, but I really don't have the need (want yes, but not need), and my financial priorities have shifted. I still want to do some stuff to the truck, but I am looking for things that will increase or at least not hurt my economy.

Im also planning to do a FASS and the Flexalite electric fan conversion. Any other Easy mods you guys can recommend?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:40 PM

Fuel system upgrade are definitely worthwhile.

I have seen injector claims made and while I think they are mostly true, many are not because if you start adding mods, the rules change a bit. So, it's not false, it's just based on a specific set of parameters.

But, a small injector will usually do better for economy than larger ones. Although, there are many exceptions to that. If you get a stick with a decent spray pattern, proper pop and bleed pressures and good flow rates, you'll be just fine. Don't forget to factor in airflow into the equation.

It still only takes X amount of fuel to hold 60MPH no matter how big the injectors are. I have some pretty large injectors and I get 23+mpg unloaded.

Dave
Old 04-04-2008, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would get a small set of mach, ddp or even rv275 injectors, im not fond of the electric fans and turbocharger well maybe a htbg from high tech turbo. you might be able to go bigger but will pick up lag without LARGER sticks.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:33 PM

Well, I originally wanted to go with something like an Aurora 3000 turbo so I could do the 3000/5000 twins later, and size injectors to match. But the truck is a daily driver in the winter, a workhorse around the house, and a bike hauler. Ultimately, I don't need anything insane. I want it, true, but I don't need it. And in light of gas prices and some issues with my career and such, I think the money could be better spent towards other things.

That being said, I still like playing with my truck and wouldn't mind doing a little to bump the power, especially if I pick up a little gas mileage to boot. Hence my interest in injectors and some of the manufacturer claims. I have been looking at a couple of the different injectors out there. I was thinking something like DDP Stage I or F-1 Mach 1's. I also saw a company on eBay, Pensacola Diesel, which sells some 50hp "Stage I" injectors for $255. Seems a little fishy to me, but I don't know, no experience with them.

With respect to turbos, I am just wondering if I go that route, should I consider upgrading my turbo as well? I'm not looking to build a 500hp truck anymore, or anything crazy like that. I am just looking for something that will work efficiently with the rest of my mods, not a ton of boost. I wouldn't mind being able to push a few more psi, but if anything I would like it to spool faster.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The F1 "Mach 1" injectors I put in a friend's truck had exceptional performance-- a nice little kick up in power, but super clean, NO EGT issues and great MPG.

They are expensive though, but demonstrably better than an RV275.

Since you already have exhaust and electronic enhancements, I'd stay with a small injector that wouldn't require a turbo upgrade. The M1s work well with the stock turbo, and if you have the money, I'd recommend them highly if you plan on keeping the truck awhile.

A small EDM injector is going to spool that turbo faster.

Stay under 75hp for injector size and you'll be set, imo.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:45 PM

like stated above it all depends on your checkbook.. I reciently installed bosch 300's. That same day I grenaded my turbo so I got a pretty good deal on a PDR HX40W. It seems to be a pretty good setup. Now the quadzilla stays in the off position pretty much. Unless someone thinks they are Cute and trys to prevent me from merging onto the interstate then I start "dialin in" a few extra ponies to help light the turbo a bit quicker... Im pretty satisified with the bosch 300's from MWFI...