Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Turbo Dissassembly

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Turbo Dissassembly

Ok, trying to exhaust housing off my HX40 and I've been beating on the thing for like an hour now, The 35 I rebuilt and another 40 I did never were this hard to get off. I can't get the durn housing off. I've soaked it in PB Blaster, heated it up as much as I felt was safe with a torch, what's a trick? The other two I did popped off with some PB and a light touch with the torch when I smacked it on the oil drain port with a dead blow to twist the case. This one seems to be fused together. So, tricks, tips, any suggestions, PLEASE!!!! I'm gonna resort to cutting it off soon lol. I don't have that much patience.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:52 PM

Well after another 2 hours of messin with it, I gave up for tonight, the grinder was looking awfully friendly there,,, Is there something I'm missing? I got 5 of the 6 bolts out, I say 5 because one broke off,,,that couldn't be holding in there could it? I didn't think they threaded into the center section??? Maybe I'm wrong,,,anyways, the metal "straps" are off completely, maybe I shouldn't have, but at this point I was completely fed up and didn't care if I broke it (it'd give me an excuse to get a better turbo i guess) I clamped it in the vice with the exhaust flange and put a pair of channel locks on the center with a 3ft pipe slipped over the handles and tried to twist it off,,,THAT didn't work either. What gives? Is it a lost cause? I guess a new housing isn't THAT expensive so I could cut it off, but I really would like not to.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:50 PM

wow.....Id let it soak....and go back another day.

I ve never had one that hard. A couple times, pretty stingy but never a real problem.

good luck
Old 11-04-2005, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took housing off my new HX-55 after two weeks...to get to the bottom rear mounting nut. Had (easily)removed housing when new to install it (makes it a lot easier on this big boy).

After just two weeks of use...it took a rubber mallet and some serious pounding to get it off. So It would not suprise me that it's as hard as you say, after a much longer period of use.

Keep soaking sounds like good advise.

RJ
Old 11-04-2005, 04:31 PM

Air chizle doit lightly the vibratoin does miricles good luck

Dale
Old 11-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Banned

geez just how hot did ya get it while driving ? mini diesel hot glowin like a blast furnace??? weld it together?
Old 11-04-2005, 07:22 PM

geez just how hot did ya get it while driving ? mini diesel hot glowin like a blast furnace??? weld it together?
Maybe lol. The truck sees 1500+ when pulling hard i.e. any pulls, drag passes, hot rodding around for more than 10 seconds. The tranny's really loose so it got hot quick from the high rpms. I've let it set on the bench overnight and I soaked it on my way out the door today for work and again when I got home. Bought ready to give her another shot of PB and go out for the night, maybe tommorrow will bring better luck, we shall see Thanks for the suggestions guys, if nothing else, maybe I'll try that air chisle idea. If anyone else has any more thoughts, feel free to add, I need all the help I can get!
Old 11-06-2005, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by SmokinFive9 4x4
Maybe lol. The truck sees 1500+ when pulling hard i.e. any pulls, drag passes, hot rodding around for more than 10 seconds. The tranny's really loose so it got hot quick from the high rpms. I've let it set on the bench overnight and I soaked it on my way out the door today for work and again when I got home. Bought ready to give her another shot of PB and go out for the night, maybe tommorrow will bring better luck, we shall see Thanks for the suggestions guys, if nothing else, maybe I'll try that air chisle idea. If anyone else has any more thoughts, feel free to add, I need all the help I can get!
Not ever seeing a turbo closer then you can see it from the fender area, I'm going to be grasping here. Just a thought. If one side of the housing fits inside the other, say with an laignment lip, then heat it up to about 300*, the dipp the "inside lip" side of the housing into water, NOT ICE WATER. This should cool the inside half of the housing fast enough to contract it away from the still hot half of the housing.
I use this method for removing stubborn cone bearing races. Good luck.