Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Turbo boost adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbo boost adjustment?

I have a question about the boost delivered from the stock turbo and if it can be adjusted.

I would assume that with the added fuel provided by the VanAaken box additional boost may improve engine perfomance. Is this correct? I have improved the intake and exhaust flow somewhat and would like to maximize the performance with my existing equipment. The current setup works pretty well so I am not wanting to buy much more equipment, just maximize what I've already got.

If I am on the right track, can the factory turbo deliver a few more pounds of boost? If so can the waste gate be manipulated? Any bolt-ons to do this? What is the correct amount of boost?

I have a lot of experience as an automotive enthusiast, but I'll be the first to admit I'm a noob to diesel performance theory. Thanks for any input.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:12 AM

you have a similar set up to my, I am guessing that you are seeing max boost at around 21 or 22 lbs, then the wastegate opens up and all the exhaust gasses are bypassed. To me i really felt my truck was taking off when it hit these boost numbers then all of a sudden it lost something when that wastegated open up. What i did to solve the problem was that i put a turnbuckle on my wastegate to keep it shut so it would not open, now i see boost numbers around 28-30lbs. But in order to be able to achieve these type of boost numbers u need a boost fooler, i am not sure if the Van Aaken has a built in boost fooler. If you run the boost over the stock amount set at the factory, it will through a overboost code in the motor which will cause the engine i believe to defuel and what not, may even through a check engine code, but i am not sure. They way you can tell if the Van Aaken box has a built in boost fooler is by seeing where you pluged it into, If you plugged it into the Map Sensor,(boost Sensor) then you have a built in boost fooler and you would be able to run boost over the stock 21 or22lbs without throughing any codes. Do a search on Turnbuckels and you should be able to find some pics of them, I just went to the hardware store and bought one for 2 dollars, i believe there are companies that sell things that are similar to a turnbuckle, I think Bully Dog and maybe a couple of others, Hope this helps
Old 05-01-2005, 09:22 AM

CTD,
I'm only getting about 15-16 psi at the air horn. I thought that was the factory set amount. I was thinking about increasing about 5 psi. Not sure if that will set off a code or not.

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by swimmy
CTD,
I'm only getting about 15-16 psi at the air horn. I thought that was the factory set amount.....
Your seeing less boost because of your altitude. I get just over 50 psi at home...could only pull 41 psi in Colorado Springs. 21 psi is about factory max...at sea level.

You can put a spring on the turnbuckle and adjust it to where you want it. I never tried this but others who have, seemed to like it ok. Seems it would be hard to adjust?

At your altitude, you could really use all the boost you can get. Assuming the VanAaken has a boost fooler, you will not set codes. I would just use a turnbuckle (no spring) to lock down your wastegate. Saftey wire it cause they do loosen up from vibration. You won't over-rev your HY-35 turbo, or super heat your intake air, till above 32 psi, which I doubt you'll see at your altitude. At lower altitudes you can easily learn to control boost with your right foot.....I did this for a year and got so I could hear the turbo when it got to over 30 psi!

RJ
Old 05-01-2005, 01:54 PM

i am at 2000' and i can get 32 psi with my hy-35. But if the pressure outside falls below 101 kpa (29.92 in) then my boost falls with it....but i have my truck set up for 32 psi, and here in edmonton, i very rarely cannot hit it.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:03 PM

I get 32 out of mine @3400 ft. When I go out to the flat land where the air is heavier, I usually get 36. I have a boost fooler that came with my Edge. Works great. I've heard running over 45 you build a lot of pressure in the head. I've heard that a guy needs to 0-ring the head if you go over that. Read that somewhere on here.